Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

This may sound silly to non-Americans, but from when I was a child, I mythologised America in my mind, largely through TV, movies and later music and 20th century history, so that I'd often literally dream of visiting it. When I finally did visit in 2011 it felt almost like stepping into a bizarre parallel universe, or like inside my TV or something. Everyone spoke like they did on television haha. I think that's partly why I've never been as excited to visit a country as I did the states. I think many Americans don't realise how glorified and mythologised their country is through the globalisation. When i finally did visit, however, it ceased being this unreal, mythic land and became real, sort of 'part of my world' or the world as I knew it. I'd compared touching down on LAX to going to the moon, but the more time I spent the more I saw the mundane side of life there. It was still an amazing trip, but I think the US is unique in that sense, it's so well known globally and mythologised that people feel that sense of awe visiting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
One day I'm going to go out there and see it all again, but right now I'm in New Mexico.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I was pretty let down when I visited Los Angeles. Most of it is not nearly as glamorous as it's made out to be. Even San Francisco is much better esthetically.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was pretty let down when I visited Los Angeles. Most of it is not nearly as glamorous as it's made out to be. Even San Francisco is much better esthetically.
I think one has to appreciate pop culture, largely 20th century pop culture, and appreciate the significance of a lot of the places in LA to feel that 'magic' so to speak. But even then, I found LA had endless things to do, even if you don't like the urban areas theres tons of nature just at your doorstep. From beaches to mountains.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
This may sound silly to non-Americans, but from when I was a child, I mythologised America in my mind, largely through TV, movies and later music and 20th century history, so that I'd often literally dream of visiting it. When I finally did visit in 2011 it felt almost like stepping into a bizarre parallel universe, or like inside my TV or something. Everyone spoke like they did on television haha. I think that's partly why I've never been as excited to visit a country as I did the states. I think many Americans don't realise how glorified and mythologised their country is through the globalisation. When i finally did visit, however, it ceased being this unreal, mythic land and became real, sort of 'part of my world' or the world as I knew it. I'd compared touching down on LAX to going to the moon, but the more time I spent the more I saw the mundane side of life there. It was still an amazing trip, but I think the US is unique in that sense, it's so well known globally and mythologised that people feel that sense of awe visiting it.
I was born in the US and spent most of my life here, but I know what you mean. I lived in Australia a few years and everything you say makes a lot of sense. I can understand why you felt that way because so much of the stuff we watch on tv and the music we listen to is heard and seen in Australia. It sometimes made me feel like I was living in a different city when I was at home and then when I go out, I am reminded I'm in a different country again lol. I had a similar feeling when I went to Australia because I was a huge "Crocodile Hunter" fan and the first time stepping into Australia created huge suspense because I spent a lot of my time watching his show.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I think one has to appreciate pop culture, largely 20th century pop culture, and appreciate the significance of a lot of the places in LA to feel that 'magic' so to speak. But even then, I found LA had endless things to do, even if you don't like the urban areas theres tons of nature just at your doorstep. From beaches to mountains.
I prefer Orange County and San Diego over Los Angeles, but it's all sorta feels like one giant connected city. Los Angeles is great if you know your way around or know someone that can take you around or tell you where to go. It's so huge and spread out, so if people don't rent a car and do some research, they could have a horrible or great time depending on the area(s) they visit.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I prefer Orange County and San Diego over Los Angeles, but it's all sorta feels like one giant connected city. Los Angeles is great if you know your way around or know someone that can take you around or tell you where to go. It's so huge and spread out, so if people don't rent a car and do some research, they could have a horrible or great time depending on the area(s) they visit.
Well we got around alright with the metro. Still managed to see quite a bit in the time we had, being based in Hollywood, going to the Hollywood hills, WeHo, Noho, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Echo Park, Griffith Park, Pasadena, Downtown inc Olvera St Plaza, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Long Beach.etc. Most of the journey to Disneyland through OC was kinda bleak and industrial, but we also drove from LA to SD and it was a nice drive. Disneyland was a highlight, a childhood dream come true lol.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Well we got around alright with the metro. Still managed to see quite a bit in the time we had, being based in Hollywood, going to the Hollywood hills, WeHo, Noho, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Echo Park, Griffith Park, Pasadena, Downtown inc Olvera St Plaza, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Long Beach.etc. Most of the journey to Disneyland through OC was kinda bleak and industrial, but we also drove from LA to SD and it was a nice drive. Disneyland was a highlight, a childhood dream come true lol.

That's good to hear you still got to see a lot of areas.

Next time you come to the US, you should check out Disney World in Orlando, FL. It's made up of 4 Disney parks and 2 Disney water parks! It's pretty awesome and definitely has more attractions and shows than Disneyland / California Adventure.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's good to hear you still got to see a lot of areas.

Next time you come to the US, you should check out Disney World in Orlando, FL. It's made up of 4 Disney parks and 2 Disney water parks! It's pretty awesome and definitely has more attractions and shows than Disneyland / California Adventure.
Yep, definitely! Should also mention went from LA to Boston, going through 16 states (and at least visiting one place in most). NYC was of course course amazing, as well as LA, SD, even Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Carlsbad Caverns, New Orleans/Louisiana swamp, Memphis, Nashville, Virginia, Washington DC. Can't wait to go back!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yep, definitely! Should also mention went from LA to Boston, going through 16 states (and at least visiting one place in most). NYC was of course course amazing, as well as LA, SD, even Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Carlsbad Caverns, New Orleans/Louisiana swamp, Memphis, Nashville, Virginia, Washington DC. Can't wait to go back!
That sounds like a great trip! Where you from btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World