Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
In Guyana the race relations of Guyanese of East Indian decent is very bad with Guyanese of Afro decent.

You can even see this in the Guyanese community here in New York. Just because you're a black Guyanese person doesn't mean you're going to get open arms on indo-guyaneses Liberty Avenue.

It's interesting because in all the other Caribbean islands Caribbean folks of East Indian background get along fine with the Afro descendents.
Just how bad? Do you have examples or stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,421,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
That is because they keep them OUT! That is why they do not have bad race relations. They got rid of the cancer before it started. Now let that number rise and bet you the people of Japan will not be sitting back watching their culture degenerate and their income drained.
The Japanese population is getting old, they need immigration.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,421,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just how bad? Do you have examples or stories to share?
Well of coarse. A Guyanese blogger right here on city data from the Bronx had a story of visiting Liberty ave. He said his own people didn't recognize him as being Guyanese and yelled anti Puerto Rican slurs at him but in reality he was just a Guyanese person who looked Hispanic.

Also I know a few women of East Indian decent who no longer have a famiy because they chose to marry a black man. Their family abandoned them immediately after. 1 of the girls is from Trinidad but in Trinidad it is way less likely to see hate between the 2 as compared to Guyana.

There is also a documentary on the racial issues on YouTube. Watched it a while ago and must look for it.

But one story in the documentary was a black Guyanese man who randomly shoots and kills a Indian for no reason.

Another scene in the documentary showed how on the streets, 1 side was black with the music being reggae while across the street was mostly Indian with the music mainly being chutnee.

Now I love Guyanese people but it's obvious that race relations is a problem in that group.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,713,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Israel (anti-Non Jew)
Israel is not "anti-non-Jew." Israel considers itself to be a Jewish state so that any Jew can emigrate there to find refuge from persecution. Not a bad philosophy conidering that Jews have a history of persecution, most notably the Holocaust.

If you have ever visited Israel, you will find that they are welcoming of any religion. What they are not tolerant of is anti-semetism or anti-Israel rhetoric or actions.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM

261 posts, read 513,009 times
Quote:
I politely disagree. Other countries are far worse than the United States. In Brazil there are commercials advertisements for aspiring models, at the bottom it asks that "dark skinned" people not apply for these positions.

This is on MAINSTREAM television in Brazil. That would not fly in the United States.

Or how about South Africa, a country that is 80% black that only recently elected a black president? The United states is 13% black and just elected a black president. We are a lot further along than some countries.
Your lieing. I know you are.....
Links ?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM

89 posts, read 169,031 times
Quote:
I politely disagree. Other countries are far worse than the United States. In Brazil there are commercials advertisements for aspiring models, at the bottom it asks that "dark skinned" people not apply for these positions.

This is on MAINSTREAM television in Brazil. That would not fly in the United States.

Or how about South Africa, a country that is 80% black that only recently elected a black president? The United states is 13% black and just elected a black president. We are a lot further along than some countries.

US racism is more social stratified which can be
just as terrible. The more money you make and
the higher up you get in US society you see how
racism and racist ideas are pretty much a part
of the US fabric.

We are further along, I agree. But we still have
a lot of improving to do in terms of helping people
who feel left out. Our racism may not be displayed
, but it is defiantly institutionalized.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,820,172 times
Quote:
Seriously? No immigration to Japan? Not sure if I believe that.
I'm not sure how one becomes a permanent resident, or if it's possible to even become a citizen (I think not), so there are spousal visas and extended work visas, but it doesn't seem you see migrants who really settle there forever, or at least no process for that, but I'm no expert on it.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm not sure how one becomes a permanent resident, or if it's possible to even become a citizen (I think not), so there are spousal visas and extended work visas, but it doesn't seem you see migrants who really settle there forever, or at least no process for that, but I'm no expert on it.
Such a closed off society. Immigration is one of the greatest strengths of the United States, a melting pot of ideas and values. It seems weird to me to have so little diversity, but I guess Japan is just that; just bizarre.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
Quote:
Such a closed off society. Immigration is one of the greatest strengths of the United States, a melting pot of ideas and values. It seems weird to me to have so little diversity, but I guess Japan is just that; just bizarre.
Not everybody enjoys diversity. In fact, I would suggest that the majority of people in the majority of places in the majority of history actually prefer to surround themselves with people who look/think/believe/behave like themselves.

If the Japanese prefer to surround themselves with other Japanese, and no one else, that doesn't make them bizarre; it puts them in the historic mainstream.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times
India.

Indians don't only hate other countries, they hate each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World