Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Probably England and Scotland. The English in particular have been frying all manner of foods for centuries. They even fry vegetables, cooked grains and bread doughs and cakes. Fried breads such as bannock originated in Scotland and Northern England. The English have been frying battered or floured poultry, rabbit, red meats and fish in pork lard since forever.

African Americans may have brought many African recipes and cooking methods with them to the Americas but frying meats in fats/oils wasn't one of them. They adopted and adapted many other cultures cooking methods after they were brought to the Americas and started mingling with people of other cultures, in particular Scottish methods, mannerisms and language. Like y'all for example - that's of Scottish origin.

A lot of food such as Battered Fish and Chips was introduced to Britain with the help of immigrants.

BBC News - The unlikely origin of fish and chips

BBC News - Italians in Scotland: What have they ever done for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
what is it about fried chicken that would make people who eat meat not enjoy it?

do people actually think it tastes bad (lets use a universal brand like kfc for the example) or is it just like health food nuts that cant get past the whole deep fried/ fried food thing

serious question because i personally never met anyone who didnt enjoy some good fried chicken on occasion
It's like the saying everything tastes good if it's deep fried, but some things can be a bit too much, like fried spam or something the idea is revolting. fried chicken is usually good but sometimes not as good. There are a lot of variables, like how oily it is (well it's deep fried so of course it's oily, but I mean if it's not well drained or cooked at the right temp it's swimming in oil/soggy and that's not nice), the chicken itself, the seasoning of the batter, the batter consistency.etc.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
In the movie "Argo," they showed them eating KFC in Iran, and I'm sure that was accurate, but that was over 30 years ago.
As Argo treated the truth like a toilet, the KFC incident was probably pure fabrication.

Foe example, it was implied that New Zealand embassy staff were indifferent to the plight of the Americans, when in fact, they assisted. It wouldn't make such a good movie though, if it wasn't the whole world against a valiant, underdog America. Still, it's only a movie and it's about entertainment. The truth should never get in the way of a good yarn.

The KFC was probably just beans and rice.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
So where was it invented? I have been told numerous times it was invented and developed by the African Americans in the south?
Wiener Wald

Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
As Argo treated the truth like a toilet, the KFC incident was probably pure fabrication.

Foe example, it was implied that New Zealand embassy staff were indifferent to the plight of the Americans, when in fact, they assisted. It wouldn't make such a good movie though, if it wasn't the whole world against a valiant, underdog America. Still, it's only a movie and it's about entertainment. The truth should never get in the way of a good yarn.

The KFC was probably just beans and rice.
An existing KFC in Iran right after the Shah left is no so far fetched. I mentioned it as a part of the movie because I don't know if it was in fact true.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Deep fried chicken is rather rare here. Marinated buffalo wings have some popularity as snacks, but mostly rednecks and other eat them at restaurants, mainly in Tampere, Pori and in a few other really redneck hillbilly cities.
There are rednecks and hillbillies in Finland?

Wow, I didn't think that was possible.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM

183 posts, read 295,321 times
what kind of chicken qualifies as organic I wonder the reason for my curiosity stems from baraka and qatsi trilogies to tell the truth

Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihsanoglu View Post
what kind of chicken qualifies as organic I wonder the reason for my curiosity stems from baraka and qatsi trilogies to tell the truth
Completely free range with no commercial feed or meds given to it.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM

183 posts, read 295,321 times
sorry but I still find that hard to believe there is no such thing since the 1900s there are degrees of acceptable consumption and bad examples

Old 02-18-2014, 02:39 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
I can't believe this is even a question and it seems the OP is serious as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are rednecks and hillbillies in Finland?

Wow, I didn't think that was possible.
Every country has their own version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World