U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:40 AM

933 posts, read 1,676,665 times

Advertisements

Which of the two cities feels more South Asian between Toronto and London?

The numbers indicate that Greater Toronto is SLIGHTLY more proportionally South Asian. However, the South Asians in the GTA tend to live in the more suburban areas such as Scarborough and Etobicoke within the city, as well as Brampton and Mississauga in the suburbs. The South Asians in Greater London tend to live in more heavily urban areas connected to the underground, such as Southall, Newham and Tower Hamlets.

I'd personally say it's London- due to the fact that the South Asian retail areas are more concentrated and more pedestrian-friendly, and they're less mixed with other retail.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,324,033 times
South Birmingham was the most South Asian place outside the sub-continent I've been to, maybe a long with Little India in Sing and KL.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM

12,892 posts, read 12,749,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
The South Asians in Greater London tend to live in more heavily urban areas connected to the underground, such as Southall, Newham and Tower Hamlets.

I'd personally say it's London- due to the fact that the South Asian retail areas are more concentrated and more pedestrian-friendly, and they're less mixed with other retail.

It could also be that London has a FAR more vast and extensive underground than Toronto's... Simply put - in the Greater Toronto Area, proportionally, people get around by car far more than a city like London.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-18-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 AM

933 posts, read 1,676,665 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
The South Asians in Greater London tend to live in more heavily urban areas connected to the underground, such as Southall, Newham and Tower Hamlets.

It could also be that London has a FAR more vast and extensive underground than Toronto's... Simply put - in the Greater Toronto Area, proportionally, people get around by car far more than a city like London.
Ya, that's definitely true. Do you feel that that makes the experience of ethnic areas in London more "intense"? Say compare the area around Hurontario and Dundas in Mississauga to South Rd/The Broadway in Southall (London Borough of Ealing).

What I find interesting about the GTA is that even though South Asians are the largest minority, even within the city limits, they mostly live in areas without a ton of transit infrastructure (Etobicoke, Scarborough), so when riding YUS or Bloor-Danforth subway lines, they aren't nearly as visible as the Chinese (who have sizeable populations downtown and along the Yonge corridor in North York).

Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Ya, that's definitely true. Do you feel that that makes the experience of ethnic areas in London more "intense"? Say compare the area around Hurontario and Dundas in Mississauga to South Rd/The Broadway in Southall (London Borough of Ealing).

What I find interesting about the GTA is that even though South Asians are the largest minority, even within the city limits, they mostly live in areas without a ton of transit infrastructure (Etobicoke, Scarborough), so when riding YUS or Bloor-Danforth subway lines, they aren't nearly as visible as the Chinese (who have sizeable populations downtown and along the Yonge corridor in North York).
I went to Brick Lane in the Tower Hamlets and it didn't seem AS S.Asian dominated as parts of Birmingham, which seemed almost COMPLETELY Pakistani actually. Every single shop and person walking around for several kilometres was of South Asian, mostly Pakistani, ancestry.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM
BMI

7,471 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
South Birmingham was the most South Asian place outside the sub-continent I've been to, maybe a long with Little India in Sing and KL.
Well you haven't been to Bramadesh...oops, I mean Brampton.
500,000 suburb of Toronto, mostly south Asian.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Balti Triangle: Birmingham puts curry on the curriculum to get children ready for real jobs | Mail Online

The photo of the streetscape is what you'll see for quite a few miles if you drive into Birmingham along Stratford Road. I doubt you could find a place in the western world more South Asian, it's basically ALL desi.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM

9,992 posts, read 11,130,263 times
I'm currently staying at a relative's in Greenford, Ealing and Southall isn't too far away and I can confirm that the area is very South Asian especially Southall. The whole high street feels like a different culture.

Parts of East London is very south asian, too.

Greater London

-East ham
-Bethnel green
-Bow
-Hounslow
-Southall
-Greenford
-Brent
-Tooting

Birmingham

-Alum rock
-Balsall heath
-Small heath
-Handsworth

Leeds

-Harehills
-Bradford

For other parts of the UK Leicester, parts of Birmingham, parts of Greater Manchester, Leeds and Bradford are all very south Asian which is one of the reasons why curry-like dishes is so popular in Britain.

I'm sure Toronto doesn't even come close.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM

15,911 posts, read 11,325,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm currently staying at a relative's in Greenford, Ealing and Southall isn't too far away and I can confirm that the area is very South Asian especially Southall. The whole high street feels like a different culture.

Parts of East London is very south asian, too.

Greater London

-East ham
-Bethnel green
-Bow
-Hounslow
-Southall
-Greenford
-Brent
-Tooting

Birmingham

-Alum rock
-Balsall heath
-Small heath
-Handsworth

Leeds

-Harehills
-Bradford

For other parts of the UK Leicester, parts of Birmingham, parts of Greater Manchester, Leeds and Bradford are all very south Asian which is one of the reasons why curry-like dishes is so popular in Britain.

I'm sure Toronto doesn't even come close.
Sticking to Toronto and London.
Have you been to Toronto?
Wiki states ( I know ) "Metropolitan areas with large South Asian communities include the Toronto (834,000)"

London stats from again Wiki ( it's only fair LOL )

"As of the 2011 Census, the total Asian population of London stood at 1,511,546"

and that includes 124,000 Chinese, which the Canadian stats do not.

Given the difference size in the cities, I would say Toronto definitely comes close.

PS….Curries are also extremely popular in Toronto

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-19-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM

181 posts, read 474,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Brampton is only 30 per cent Indian. I'd hardly say it's "mostly" Indian. There are all types of people in Brampton. It's actually a fairly diverse place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World