Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more East Asian- Greater Toronto or Sydney?
Greater Toronto 13 50.00%
Sydney 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igol001 View Post
Wrong, I live in Toronto and what I have known on the street even in the media, I see lots of south Asian, Indian / Pakistani…..
In just Toronto alone - not including those in the GTA there are 298K South Asians vs 283K Chinese.. Add to that 102K Pinoy's and it is clear there are more East Asians than South Asians in Toronto - so how is he wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Numbers aside, I'm curious as to how the subjective experience of Toronto would compare to Sydney..
A bit of subjective feeling

https://www.google.ca/search?q=toronto+chinatown&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ei=-GYFU8-KOKbb2QX6n4CoBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1708&bih=773

I also posted a video earlier in response to your Australian Friend.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Yeah I'd say the Australian Chinatowns and New York are the most 'authentic' outside the US, on second thoughts. Well of the ones I've been to, by the looks of it San Fran would be there too. LA not so much.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'd say the Australian Chinatowns and New York are the most 'authentic' outside the US, on second thoughts. Well of the ones I've been to, by the looks of it San Fran would be there too. LA not so much.
Really - when I was looking at Sydney's Chinatown vs Toronto's - I instantly felt that Toronto's had a much more authentic feel than Sydney's - particularly when it came to food and retail displays (breadth and depth) and just the general populace as a whole. Of course this is based solely on pics and video's that have been posted.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-19-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
That's what I noticed too, once you're out of Toronto's core it seems that you'd be hard pressed to find any bits of urbanity. That'll obviously affect the visibility of its ethnicity.
While I'm first to admit outside OLD Toronto the urbanity goes downhill - it is disingenuous and an ignorant perception that Toronto's outskirts don't have decent pockets of urbanity. You can't nor should base your perception on random placement of google map searches lol... better to become intimately familiar with a place before making statements that lack understanding or experience.

Here is a good article from a foreigner who actually experienced the city.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2007/10/17...f-an-angeleno/

Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Really - when I was looking at Sydney's Chinatown vs Toronto's - I instantly felt that Toronto's had a much more authentic feel than Sydney's - particularly when it came to food and retail displays (breadth and depth) and just the general populace as a whole. Of course this is based solely on pics and video's that have been posted.
Wait, you haven't been to Sydney right? Have you spent much time in Asia either?

That's why I said of the cities I've been to...

I've also been to China (inc Hong Kong), Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia within East Asia, and many Chinatowns within Asia, so I know what is 'authentic.'

Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Melbourne actually seems to have more Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians than Sydney, oddly enough, I think Melbourne is beginning to attract more immigrants. Cost of living is definitely one factor. Both Sydney and Melbourne have areas dominated by Vietnamese, I don't know if Toronto has such a thing.
Melbourne has been attracting more immigrants than Sydney for much of the last decade. The ten year 2001-2011 growth of overseas born population was +273,487 for Sydney, and +298,547 for Melbourne.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Wait, you haven't been to Sydney right? Have you spent much time in Asia either?

That's why I said of the cities I've been to...

I've also been to China (inc Hong Kong), Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia within East Asia, and many Chinatowns within Asia, so I know what is 'authentic.'
Well your post was a bit confusing..... first you make a statement and then you add the - well on second thought part..

No I haven't been to Sydney - and you haven't been to Toronto and I was clear when I said based on pics and video's I've seen.

I wouldn't question that you are well travelled - I also wouldn't believe in the objectivity of your sentiments regarding authenticity of the Chinatown's in Sydney vs Toronto either based on your historical posts and general, albeit light disdain for Toronto ...I'm sure you don't believe in my objectivity either. However, general Sydney pics and the video's your Australian colleague posted of its Chinatown doesn't strike me as authentic Chinese or Asian... at all really. Regardless, I doubt anyone in either of these cities Chinatown's would confuse themselves as being in the middle of any real Asian city really lol...

I've been to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Beijing so not too shabby for a Canadian far away from those places

Last edited by fusion2; 02-19-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well your post was a bit confusing..... first you make a statement and then you add the - well on second thought part..

No I haven't been to Sydney - and you haven't been to Toronto and I was clear when I said based on pics and video's I've seen.

I wouldn't question that you are well travelled - I also wouldn't believe in the objectivity of your sentiments regarding authenticity of the Chinatown's in Sydney vs Toronto either based on your historical posts and general albeit light disdain for Toronto ...as i'm sure you don't believe in my objectivity either. However, general Sydney pics and the video's your Australian colleague posted of its Chinatown doesn't strike me as authentic Chinese or Asian... at all really.

I've been to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Beijing so not too shabby
Which is why your comments about Sydney's Chinatown not feeling authentic don't really hold much weight. I can't say how authentic Toronto's is, judging from pictures I'd say it would feel pretty Asian.

I'm still curious why you don't consider Sydney's authentic at all. I've been there a lot of times, the businesses are Asian, the people are, even the urban feel of it (the urbanity) reminds me of Hong Kong. There are obvious differences, it's still Australia not HK, but go to World Square and you could be in Hong Kong or Singapore. I think if you went you'd feel it was very Asian indeed. I can compare it to the many Asian cities I've been to.

Well I think we're all a little biased, I know we're both probably trying to boost our respective countries/cities even if we try to be objective, haha. I admit my disdain for Toronto was sort of well, premature, it just strikes me as not all that special (but still worth a visit, and maybe I might change my mind) so I'm not going to say much more about it. Stats can be proven, but things like subjective feel are different.

Well, Sydney is probably more connected to Hong Kong than those cities. Actually taking a ferry across Victoria harbour in Hong Kong reminded me a lot of taking the ferry across Sydney harbour too.

Still curious as to why you think Toronto's Chinatown is authentic and Sydney's is not. To me both seem pretty authentic. Both cities are among the most Chinese outside Asia.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM

I'm sure daniel and many others who have been to both Sydney and say Hong Kong can comment on the similarities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World