Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better ?
Dallas 35 43.75%
Perth 45 56.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM

457 posts, read 905,104 times

Advertisements

So, after just ten posts, this thread went completely off the rails. What were we talking about? Oh yes, Dallas and Perth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
So, after just ten posts, this thread went completely off the rails. What were we talking about? Oh yes, Dallas and Perth.
Just another creepy race obsessed conversation

Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
I'm surprised Perth is in the lead in this vs. Dallas is a much larger city and I think would have more to offer overall - from cultural amenities, entertainment options to economic opportunities.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm surprised Perth is in the lead in this vs. Dallas is a much larger city and I think would have more to offer overall - from cultural amenities, entertainment options to economic opportunities.
One would think that in 2014 with all this technology, a poll could have multiple columns, for example "have been to both", "have been to Perth", "have been to Dallas", "have not been to either so am talking out of...".

Those polls often boil down to which city suffers from the worst stereotype. Dallas is in Texas so other than in a thread with Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta or maybe Kandahar, it's always going to lose. The stereotype is just too strong.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
One would think that in 2014 with all this technology, a poll could have multiple columns, for example "have been to both", "have been to Perth", "have been to Dallas", "have not been to either so am talking out of...".

Those polls often boil down to which city suffers from the worst stereotype. Dallas is in Texas so other than in a thread with Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta or maybe Kandahar, it's always going to lose. The stereotype is just too strong.
Agreed... for whatever reason people draw a conclusion and regardless of how much a place changes or evolves it is judged on a historical basis - a snapshot in time that is not reflective of current reality or the way the wind is blowing.

I don't know much about either city in this vs - but my money would be on the big D

Personally, I have an incredible interest in U.S history and to visit Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum is something on my bucket list! I actually watched Parkland to put things into perspective lol... I am however, open minded enough to know that Dallas is more than what I've discussed.

As for Houston, I only connected on a flight in the city so can't say anything other than the Steak I had at the restaurant in the airport was THE best steak I have ever had.. I salivate now just thinking about it and would go back just for the STEAK lol..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Most people here haven't a clue about Perth, anyway...

FYI, you see the photo of the skyline at night on the city data site header graphic? Yup, that's Perth! haha...pretty random when i found that out, using Perth for a mostly US site.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Most people here haven't a clue about Perth, anyway...

FYI, you see the photo of the skyline at night on the city data site header graphic? Yup, that's Perth! haha...pretty random when i found that out, using Perth for a mostly US site.
Admittedly, I don't know much about either city.. I make an inference based on the size of Dallas vs Perth.. Dallas is 3 times larger. For me, I have a personal interest in Dallas due to historical significance of one of the most significant criminal activities in recent history. Nothing at all against Perth. If this was Dallas vs Syndey or Dallas vs Melbourne I think it would be a much more interesting vs that would garner much more investigation and exploration..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Dallas is alright.... there's a lot going on on Elm street and Main street downtown.
rest of downtown is just a office park...

I really liked uptown, nice little shops and restaurants scattered up and down McKinney ave.
Texas State Fairgrounds are just east of Downtown. State Fairs are a must, especially if you aren't from the United States.

Downtown really lets people down though, i spend most of my time in Fort Worth at the Fort Worth Stockyards.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:41 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Yes I am wondering the same thing too

Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Admittedly, I don't know much about either city.. I make an inference based on the size of Dallas vs Perth.. Dallas is 3 times larger. For me, I have a personal interest in Dallas due to historical significance of one of the most significant criminal activities in recent history. Nothing at all against Perth. If this was Dallas vs Syndey or Dallas vs Melbourne I think it would be a much more interesting vs that would garner much more investigation and exploration..
Honestly, anyone who has spent time in both Sydney and Melbourne and Dallas would have to admit the first two blow it away...I've been around Houston, and it seems less vibrant than Perth. Considering it's so auto-dominated I'm not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World