U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better ?
Dallas 30 50.00%
Perth 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,469,446 times

Advertisements

Which city is better ?

The criteria :

Urban Feel
People
Better life
Entertainment
Architectures
Economy
Downtown
Suburbs
Future possibilities
Public transportation
Shopping
Open mindness
Schools

And more...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,328,434 times
I'm from Perth but I haven't been to Dallas. One really striking statistic is, that although their climates are different, the average temperature is about the same (about 18C), as is the sunshine hours (2800 a year). Both are very car-dominated and suburban, Dallas probably even moreso.

I think the comparison will boil down to US (specifically Texas) vs Australia...

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 AM

206 posts, read 371,847 times
The main difference would be in Perth you need to give your offerings to Old Bertie.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,015,733 times
Haven't been to Dallas so I'm far from qualified to say, but Dallas seems to be similar to Perth in terms of its low density and predominantly modern urban structure, strong economy and generally conservative locals though obviously with about 3 times the population.

I imagine that the range of cultural activities, shopping and entertainment would be greater as well as better value for money in Dallas, while I think Perth has a better public transport network/urban layout and natural environment being near to the ocean.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
The main difference would be in Perth you need to give your offerings to Old Bertie.

Lol, this reminds me of 'Uncyclopedia'.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Haven't been to Dallas so I'm far from qualified to say, but Dallas seems to be similar to Perth in terms of its low density and predominantly modern urban structure, strong economy and generally conservative locals though obviously with about 3 times the population.

I imagine that the range of cultural activities, shopping and entertainment would be greater as well as better value for money in Dallas, while I think Perth has a better public transport network/urban layout and natural environment being near to the ocean.
For it's size Dallas seems kind of boring, same with Houston. I've been through Houston and it looked pretty lacklustre for a city with it's population. Sydney and Melbourne could quite easily blow those cities away in terms of culture, vibrancy, diversity.etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM

108 posts, read 134,223 times
Which city is better ?

The criteria :

Urban Feel-Perth
People-Dallas
Better life-Dallas
Entertainment-Dallas
Architectures-Dallas
Economy-Dallas
Downtown-Perth
Suburbs-Dallas...lol is this even a question?
Future possibilities-Dallas
Public transportation-Peth...not even a question
Shopping-Dallas
Open mindness-Perth
Schools-Dallas

And more...
Highways-Dallas
Location-Dallas
Weather-Perth
Diversity-Dallas

Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM

108 posts, read 134,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For it's size Dallas seems kind of boring, same with Houston. I've been through Houston and it looked pretty lacklustre for a city with it's population. Sydney and Melbourne could quite easily blow those cities away in terms of culture, vibrancy, diversity.etc.
Houston and Dallas are much much more diverse than Sydney, and Texas kills Australia in culture.

This is Dallas diversity...by the way guys this is the city limits, if we were to add suburbs it would be much different...for example white and asian would be much much higher
43.9% Hispanic
28.6% White
23.4% Black
2.5% Asian...asians live in the suburbs
City data

This is Houston
44.4% Hispanic
25.9%White
22.7% Black
5.5% Asian
City data

Have you seen Texas culture postman?? Ever heard of Texmex, the millions of historical buildings from the spanish? Ever heard of the Alamo? Vibrancy now that is something Australia beats Texas in...

Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM

363 posts, read 1,773,541 times
Never been to Dallas so I cant compare. Been to Austin, which I love! Spent 2 months working in Perth, and couldn't stand it. I found it to be boring as hell.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
Houston and Dallas are much much more diverse than Sydney, and Texas kills Australia in culture.

This is Dallas diversity...by the way guys this is the city limits, if we were to add suburbs it would be much different...for example white and asian would be much much higher
43.9% Hispanic
28.6% White
23.4% Black
2.5% Asian...asians live in the suburbs
City data

This is Houston
44.4% Hispanic
25.9%White
22.7% Black
5.5% Asian
City data

Have you seen Texas culture postman?? Ever heard of Texmex, the millions of historical buildings from the spanish? Ever heard of the Alamo? Vibrancy now that is something Australia beats Texas in...
Yes I've been to Texas.

You haven't been to Sydney. Diverse doesn't just mean having people who look different, we're talking culture here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World