Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
... who speak good English and are clear and easy to understand like a Briton ... .
Easy for WHO to understand? It's very subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
English was the first language of a small minority of educated Singaporean élites upon independence. That élite made English the primary official language in order to avoid ethnic conflict and foster economic links with the US and Britain. No different from several British colonies. Every decade the number of Singaporeans speaking English at home significantly rises, to the point where about a third today do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hk4fTKDnu0

I personally don't consider most of the people in that video to be a "native" English speaker like Americans, British, Australians or the Irish. I can't even tell the difference between the Vietnamese students learning English, and most of the "native English-speaking Singaporeans". That has to say something if one cannot differentiate the most of the "native" speakers from those learning the language. If you follow the video, it becomes clear that the purpose of the video is to raise awareness for prospective English speakers that Singapore is not a place to go learn English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJVf5IVoNQ

Again, one person, in this video speaks like a native speaker. The one man is the gentleman at 1:25 appears to speak completely fluently and clearly. Of course he is a well educated leader in the "Speak Good English" movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZIF59Qsiw

Terry, the "typical working class Singaporean" in the video is very difficult to understand. He sounds similar to a Chinese immigrant in California who has picked English upon arrival. As a degree holding native English speaker, I can only understand sentences here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIcdetB-jo

I don't understand these guys at all, with the exception of sentences here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ktn4dySpYI

Again, I clearly understand a minority of these kids' English words. Some sound fine, no doubt, most don't. notably the older woman sitting down, and the guy in the red shirt speak clearly. Notice the speech coach at the end explaining why Singaporeans speak English so poorly! In the ensuing scene that lacks subtitles, I don't understand any of the kids' words.

A common thread in all these videos is that those who are English instructors and those in positions of power or the media speak clear and fluent English. The common folk are all difficult to understand.

Why? Because the reality is that Singaporeans are an amalgamation of non-English speaking peoples who's government has adopted English to bridge the gap between the different group of people who make up the country''s population. If Singapore is a "native" English speaking country, why does the government need to force kids to go to school in English? Why is the government so invested in these children learning "good English"?

But why would native English speakers need foreigners to come and help improve the country's English? You never hear of Australians needing Britons to come teach them English - because Australians are already native speakers. You never hear of English Canadians needing American teachers to teach them English, because they are equally native English speakers. So why the need for foreign teachers? Because Singaporeans are natively non-English speakers who are being forced to learn English by the government and elites.

That all being said, Singapore is no different from say Nigeria, where the government also works and promotes English as the primary official language. Yet, one wouldn't call Nigerians "native" English speakers. Why? Because it is a country where English is imposed by the government, and the population is in the process of shedding languages in favor of English. Like Nigeria, a minority of a minority truly speak English "natively"; the rest have had English imposed upon them and are constantly trying to perfect learn and perfect their English.
Hobbesbj have you been to Singapore before ? Just curious..

Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 5,180 times
Do you really mean as a first language?
Young Singaporeans and Malaysians speak Singlish and Manglish as their first spoken language.
Older people have their Chinese dialects, Malay and Tamil as their first spoken language, but their use are very low in the society nowadays.
Standard English is the most used language they use to read & write, but not commonly spoken among the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm considering Singapore basically part of the mainland since it's separated by a narrow strait that's more like a river from the mainland.

And I mean as a first language.

While many Northern Europeans can speak decent English, as a FIRST language, one has to go to Singapore and Malaysia, former British colonies in the far east, to see a large proportion of people speaking English as their mother tongue/main language. In Singapore it's about 40%, in Malaysia about 25% but declining. In Sweden or something of course very few would actually use it as their FIRST language, hardly any.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianprettyy View Post
Young Singaporeans and Malaysians speak Singlish and Manglish as their first spoken language.
Older people have their Chinese dialects, Malay and Tamil as their first spoken language, but their use are very low in the society nowadays.
Standard English is the most used language they use to read & write, but not commonly spoken among the locals.
I used to think Singlish was just English with a Singaporean accent with a few 'lahs' but it's actually almost a creole in some cases, which I don't understand. Plenty learn 'standard English' with a Singaporean accent, my mother began speaking English as a young child (back in the 50s and 60s) even if her parents spoke Hokkien, since her sister, who was much older than her, was a school-teacher and predominantly spoke English as a young person. In fact her Hokkien and Mandarin weren't even that good.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:35 AM

Suddenly the backlash for singlish.. Well I guess just have to accept it

Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianprettyy View Post
So Asianpretty how well do you know Singapore ?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 AM

156 posts, read 287,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well, Singapore is not Britain, although our English is based on the British standard. You are bound to find some differences between the English used in Singapore and that in Britain

When Singaporeans go to the UK or the US , I don't think they face much difficulty in being understood by the Americans and the British..

After all, we listen to music in English and watch movies in English, too.

I guess our spoken English is somewhat a problem, though. ***but our written English is not an issue...***

I feel sad and don't understand why some British and Americans claim they don't understand the kind of English we speak... but i guess maybe they really don't .. I shall give them the benefit of the doubt, but it is depressing and saddening

I'm not being pedantic but I had to...just so you know.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well, Singapore is not Britain, though our English is based on British standard.. You are bound to find some differences between English used in Singapore and Britain

When Singaporeans go UK, US , i dont think they have much difficulty become understood by the Americans and British..

After all, we listen and watch Amercian Movies and music..

I guess our spoken English is somewhat a problem, but our written English is not an issue...

I feel sad and dont understand why SOME Britains and Americans go out to the streets in Singapore and say they dont understand the kind of English we are speaking... But i guess maybe they really don't .. i give them the benefit of doubt, just that it is depressing and saddening
Sorry to say, but you have several grammar errors in this post alone that makes it obvious you are not a native or near native speaker

Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 AM

Lepillow all right got it.. Just out of curiosity, are you a native Singaporean
as well ??

Guess I didn't learn much from my English teachers in school after all. But i am not saying it is their fault..

*hides in a corner and cries ***

Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I'm not being pedantic but I had to...just so that you know.
I can spot an error in just a simple sentence from you too.. So let's just say Singaporean's English is not perfect and put ourselves down ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World