Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:01 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sorry to say, but you have several grammar errors in this post alone that makes it obvious you are not a native or near native speaker
I've seen 'native' speakers make grammatical errors a lot on the internet.etc and in speech. You think African Americans speak 100% correct grammar all the time? Come on, man, it's colloquial speech, it doesn't mean someone speaks ESL. It's the Singlish influence, many Singaporeans often juggle many languages at once (Malaysians even moreso) so their English isn't always 100% perfect. But it's still native. It's not at all like say a Japanese person speaking English and making mistakes. Some of the 'errors' you see are actually just part of Singlish. For instance saying 'off the lights' instead of 'turn off the lights.'

I will admit that most Singaporeans' spoken English is probably not quite as good as the Anglosphere nations, but my main point was that it's still native, and a large percentage speak it natively. Many Singaporeans also speak perfect English (some can switch depending on the situation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times
Singaporelady's written English is better than most on this site. None of the words pointed out in red are incorrect. It makes me question those who thought they were errors. Not typical American writing, perhaps, but not incorrect grammar either.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 02-24-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I'm not being pedantic but I had to...just so you know.
Sorry but I don't know what the heck you are talking about? I didn't see any errors in Singaporelady's post...

Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've seen 'native' speakers make grammatical errors a lot on the internet.etc and in speech. You think African Americans speak 100% correct grammar all the time? Come on, man, it's colloquial speech, it doesn't mean someone speaks ESL.
African Americans are part of an English speaking nation. Blacks speak English, think in English, work and live in a completely English speaking environment. They best express themselves in English, whether when making a movie, music, or writing a book. A young black man's father spoke English, as did his father, and his father, and his father, back to the 1600's. Blacks are often mixed with other English speaking people like the English, Irish or Scottish. If you meet a black American you don't have to think "Well does he speak English, Chinese, a Chinese dialect, or Tamil?". Black Americans understand slang from other American groups and contribute perhaps disproportionately to the English of a country that compromises well over half of the world's English speakers. In other words, they are native English speakers. The same can be said for all Americans, including white southerners, and New Yorkers, who don't speak "100% correct grammar all the time", but maintain their own quirks, are completely intelligible, and contribute culturally and linguistically to the Anglosphere. In other words, comparing Americans speaking English to Singaporeans is just ridiculous. Postman, I recall you in another post asserting Black Americans are "Anglos"; could you really say the same about Singaporeans, or does this just change according to your argument?

So let's compare to Singapore. A minority of Singaporeans (32%) speak English most frequently at home compared to over 93% of African Americans who speak only English at home, higher than any other American racial group. Of the 6.5% who speak a language other than English at home, they are immigrants being assimilated into a natively English-speaking community and nation; no government ESL is necessary. Postman, this situation is vastly different from that in Singapore, and it is moot argument that 32% is drastically different from 93%. Furthermore, I can assure you that the number of African Americans speaking English wasn't 10% less ten years ago, or 20% less 20 years ago. Why? Because Americans are native English speakers; no effort is needed to convince them to speak, think, or express themselves in English. You spoke about ESL; well to put it bluntly Singapore is something like country undergoing ESL schooling right now. They are not part of the Anglosphere countries which are constantly contributing to the development of the English language. Singapore is a country that follows whatever these trends are and teaches their kids to speak English like "native English" speakers. They are in the process of being anglicized. Let's talk about this subject when 80% or more of Singaporeans are speaking English, and the English speakers are easy to understand and best express themselves in English. Notice how Singapore is light blue like Nigeria, India, and Guyana?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Singaporelady's written English is better than most on this site. None of the words pointed out in red are incorrect. It makes me question those who thought they were errors. Not typical American writing, perhaps, but not incorrect grammar either.
Thanks from Singapore !!!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM

Well I was responding to those who said that because Singaporeans don't speak 'perfect English' that they're not native speakers (those that are), and just said that AA's, who are undoubtedly, don't speak 'perfect English' either.

Don't believe everything wikipedia says. In fact the map is totally incorrect in not including Malaysia. The map was created by different users, some with vested interests, or who are not familiar with Malaysia. About a quarter of people in Malaysia actually use it as their primary language at home, and most can hold a conversation. Most of the urban educated folk can speak fluently. Certainly a lot more than those other countries.

You'd have to come to Singapore to really understand. In 1990, yes 18% spoke it as a first language (so no, not 10% less than 10 years ago). Now it's probably about 40%, and among primary school aged children about 60%. There are many Singaporeans who use it as their primary language. My mother grew up in Singapore in the 60s and 70s and she mostly spoke English.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM

156 posts, read 287,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Of course none of those words in red are incorrect because I've already done some editing. Contrast the amended paragraph to the original one she wrote below:

Well, Singapore is not Britain, though our English is based on British standard.. You are bound to find some differences between English used in Singapore and Britain

When Singaporeans go UK, US , i dont think they have much difficulty become understood by the Americans and British..

After all, we listen and watch Amercian Movies and music..

I guess our spoken English is somewhat a problem, but our written English is not an issue...

I feel sad and dont understand why SOME Britains and Americans go out to the streets in Singapore and say they dont understand the kind of English we are speaking... But i guess maybe they really don't .. i give them the benefit of doubt, just that it is depressing and saddening

Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times
Quote:
Of course none of those words in red are incorrect because I've already done some editing. Contrast the amended paragraph to the original one she wrote below:

Well, Singapore is not Britain, though our English is based on British standard.. You are bound to find some differences between English used in Singapore and Britain

When Singaporeans go UK, US , i dont think they have much difficulty become understood by the Americans and British..

After all, we listen and watch Amercian Movies and music..

I guess our spoken English is somewhat a problem, but our written English is not an issue...

I feel sad and dont understand why SOME Britains and Americans go out to the streets in Singapore and say they dont understand the kind of English we are speaking... But i guess maybe they really don't .. i give them the benefit of doubt, just that it is depressing and saddening
Do you spend a while trying to perfect each post you make here? I sure don't. I would never stand up to scrutiny.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM

We are not taking the O level English Examination here.. It was over for me long ago !!!

I am just guessing maybe Lepillow is an English teacher ?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not being pedantic but I had to...just so you know.
Are there no errors in this sentence written by lepillow ? So what are you trying to prove ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World