Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 1,169,615 times
Reputation: 336

Advertisements

I was thinking about the fact that some stereotypes of ethnic minority or immigrant groups differ very strongly based on what country forms an impression of them.

For example, Italians, by American viewpoints, have in the past and even in media today, associations with the mafia or mob, Guido stereotypes like those depicted in Jersey shore. But these stereotypes might not make sense to say someone living in Buenos Aires, for example. In some places, Italians could be associated with class, rich culture, cafes etc. rather than the working class "Guido" image old Italian-American diaspora.

Or another example, people from South Asia, in American media are sometimes portrayed in brainy, wealthy occupations like doctors, engineers and IT workers. But to say, a Gulf Arab, the image of South Asians could be rough, working class low-wage construction workers and laborers, the opposite image.

Do you think that a lot of the times the stereotypes of certain ethnic groups or cultures are really locally dependent on what were the images associated with the first members of those groups that immigrated to the country?

Are there other examples you can think of, where stereotypes of various groups differ or even are opposite in image from one another in different countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
 
18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Reputation: 25191
India:

I cannot believe Indians in places like the UK and US are from the same India I been for vacation. India is diverse, but speaking overall, the Indians in the UK and US are nothing like you expect them to be given how India is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Reputation: 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
India:

I cannot believe Indians in places like the UK and US are from the same India I been for vacation. India is diverse, but speaking overall, the Indians in the UK and US are nothing like you expect them to be given how India is.
Can you be more specific? I assume you mean because the ones in the US are much wealthier and more educated then the average Indian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I was thinking about the fact that some stereotypes of ethnic minority or immigrant groups differ very strongly based on what country forms an impression of them.

For example, Italians, by American viewpoints, have in the past and even in media today, associations with the mafia or mob, Guido stereotypes like those depicted in Jersey shore. But these stereotypes might not make sense to say someone living in Buenos Aires, for example. In some places, Italians could be associated with class, rich culture, cafes etc. rather than the working class "Guido" image old Italian-American diaspora.

Or another example, people from South Asia, in American media are sometimes portrayed in brainy, wealthy occupations like doctors, engineers and IT workers. But to say, a Gulf Arab, the image of South Asians could be rough, working class low-wage construction workers and laborers, the opposite image.

Do you think that a lot of the times the stereotypes of certain ethnic groups or cultures are really locally dependent on what were the images associated with the first members of those groups that immigrated to the country?

Are there other examples you can think of, where stereotypes of various groups differ or even are opposite in image from one another in different countries?
Hmmm, you have to distinguish between stereotypes about Italian Americans and Italians from Italy, and Indian Americans and Indians from India. I doubt most Americans think that Italy is full of guidos or everyone in India is a brainy IT nerd or doctor. I think when Americans think of Italy they think of Rome, the Colosseum, Venice, Florence, and with India the Taj Mahal, crowds, poverty.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Reputation: 11651
Where I live Chinese people would be stereotyped as high performance people with a strong drive for success. This would especially apply to the kids: extremely driven and successful in school and in activities both artistic and otherwise...

This applies to both kids in Chinese families and also those which have been adopted into non-Chinese families (quite numerous here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM
 
2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
Reputation: 3758
Where I live the Chinese are stereotyped as convenience and variety stores owners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 12:39 PM
 
18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Reputation: 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Can you be more specific? I assume you mean because the ones in the US are much wealthier and more educated then the average Indian?
I would not even say it is the education and wealth, it is more like the mannerisms that are displayed.

Having interfaced with many Indians (I speak Urdu and know a lot about Indian culture) in the US, London, and a couple of other places, it seems like they derive from an entire different country. The way Indians are outside of India, a person would think India is like Switzerland or something; India itself generally is quite polar opposite of what Indians outside of India display (I have traveled and stayed in India for quite a length of time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Reputation: 3368
I believe this actually differs from city to city as well. For example in Boston it seems like every Nigerian you run into is a Doctor, I can count off the top of my head 14 friends/acquaintances who are Nigerian in the Boston area and 12 of them are Doctors, the other 2 Engineers. I have noticed that the stereotypes of the Nigerian community is not as favorable in London, so this was a huge change.

Also being Jamaican myself, the stereotype of many years in Toronto was that we are mostly drug dealers, gang members and on welfare. Contrast that with major US cities and many of us are viewed in a much more favorable light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top