Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariete View Post
you have something useful to say now?
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You have something useful to say now?
What!?
*googles score
"HOLY SH-T"
*slams laptop

Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What!?
*googles score
"HOLY SH-T"
*slams laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

lol

Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In the USA, I would say the World Series championships (baseball) and the Super Bowl Sunday (American football) both grab the attention of large sections of the population.

In Israel, I would say the European Basketball championships which Israel participates in.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxor View Post
The Australian football team is far more inclusive and galvanizes the country more than the Cricket and particularly Rugby teams do especially when its world cup time.

Australia's 40,000 ticket allocation for Brazil is sold out. And you don't get this at 3am for the ashes....
Soccer is a bit like the America's cup or the winter Olympics, though. It might get viewers for an event every few years, but for most of them its mostly a novelty, with the "passion factor" close to 0% and nowhere near the level you'd get for State of Origin or a football (AFL or NRL) grand final.

I agree with you that cricket is almost becoming a niche sport today, but rugby union is still pretty strong in NSW and Qld even if its a distant 3rd behind NRL and AFL in those states.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 PM

201 posts, read 416,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Soccer is a bit like the America's cup or the winter Olympics, though. It might get viewers for an event every few years, but for most of them its mostly a novelty, with the "passion factor" close to 0% and nowhere near the level you'd get for State of Origin or a football (AFL or NRL) grand final.
This is correct, Australia is almost as disinterested in soccer as America is.
Why in Australia, the term football means rugby if you're in NSW or Qld or AFL if you're in Victoria.
If someone in Sydney says they're 'going to see the footy' What they actually means is they're attending an NRL game.

Quote:
I agree with you that cricket is almost becoming a niche sport today, but rugby union is still pretty strong in NSW and Qld even if its a distant 3rd behind NRL and AFL in those states.
Cricket is not fairing well in a modern world of short attention spans.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Why in Australia, the term football means rugby if you're in NSW or Qld or AFL if you're in Victoria.
..and SA, WA. Tas, and NT.

I spent part of my childhood in southern NSW, and even there it was AFL. I suppose we were more in the cultural orbit of Melbourne rather than Sydney.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
What about Rugby Union? Is it considered more of a posh sport even in NSW, like it is in most of the British Isles?
Traditionally it is a sport associated with private schools (public for you brits) and universities in Australia. It should be noted that union is the bigger rugby code outside new south wales and Queensland.

The demographics of union is changing a bit, possibly explained in part by the influx of new zealders and other pacific islanders into Australia where it is of course the number one sport played by virtually anyone

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-22-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 05:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
If someone in Sydney says they're 'going to see the footy' What they actually means is they're attending an NRL game.

Cricket is not fairing well in a modern world of short attention spans.
Dunno, Western Sydney Wanderers have a decent following, as does the bigger A-League clubs. However, yes they are playing outside the normal season - in which Aussie Rules/League dominate.

Put me down as one who prefers Test Cricket over Twenty20.

But for the sporting event that stops a nation: a 3 minute horse race might be up there - the Melbourne Cup.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 PM

85 posts, read 122,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I did! I did! Well, I didn't allow them to get tanked of course - the game was in the middle of the day here. And I actually stepped out myself to watch most of it.
What a kind boss you are! I remember when my former boss found odd the fact I was still in the office when there was a Barça x Milan match by the Champions League last year... I told her I was extremely disappointed with the team and that I didn't want to see another massacre. But them she said "No, no, you should always stand for Barça! You will regret if you miss this match!", and then she send me home to watch the game... And Barça turned it over, and won the game! All bosses should be like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World