Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

TBH someone just said Ireland was in their top 10 places to visit (partly for family reasons) but for me I've just always found Ireland seemed like a dull place. Sure it looks green and pretty with nice villages and friendly folk, but other than that, and maybe a few historical things you can see in England or Scotland, it never really drew me. There are no towering mountains, not a lot of nature left, no vibrant cities (Dublin doesn't impress), not a lot of old history like Italy or France, the culture is sorta interesting but not that compelling and a lot of it seems to have gone.

I mean I might visit one day, but it's actually one of the few countries I wouldn't be too upset about if I never visited it.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,914 times
As said, the British had invaded ROI culturally. Too many people speak english, many things very similiar to the UK. Blame the Brits.

NZ seems unique to Aus.
Canada seems unique to US.
UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy unique to each other.
Japan is unique to China & Korea.
ROI?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
I grew up in the dullest, quietest, flattest place on earth so i literally find everywhere interesting

I could have a blast in places like Waterford, Cork, Limerick, and Galway.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Ireland has one of the oldest megalithic sites in Newgrange which is older than the Egyptian pyramids and Stonehenge.

Newgrange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are numerous megalithic sites in Ireland.

List of megalithic monuments in Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The westcoast of Ireland would be the best to visit in my opinion as it has a lot of unspoilt beauty. Galway is a fantastic place for music and a great atmosphere.

A day in Galway, Ireland: city guide | Travel | The Guardian

Donegal is a beautiful county that a lot of people don't visit. Also Slieve League in Donegal are the highest sea cliffs in Europe.

Slieve League - Donegal - Ireland Travel

Also Co Clare has the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.
Cliffs of Moher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Burren, the Cliffs of Moher & surrounding regions

The Skelligs in Co Kerry are pretty unique and a UNESCO world heritage site. Monks used to go there for solitude in the Early Celtic Church and built a christian monastery there in the 6th century. Here is a haunting song called Skellig by Loreena McKennitt.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or7vQVyBkCI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael
Skellig Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aran Islands in Galway are also worth a visit. This Lonely Planet section has a lot on Ireland.
Aran Islands - Lonely Planet

The Ring of Kerry is a 179-km-long circular tourist route with spectacular scenery.
Ring of Kerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While in Kerry you could also go to visit the Lakes of Killarney and the Dingle Peninsula.
Lakes of Killarney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dingle Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could also visit Cork and Kinsale where there are lots of great eateries with some of the best seafood you will get anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(city)
Kinsale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ireland's scenic routes.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/...articles/77058

This is all on the west coast of Ireland except for Newgrange. Ireland is definitely worth a visit. Anyone I've know that has visited Ireland loved it.

Hopefully some more people will add to this thread.

Last edited by Bernie20; 02-24-2014 at 01:11 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
TBH someone just said Ireland was in their top 10 places to visit (partly for family reasons) but for me I've just always found Ireland seemed like a dull place. Sure it looks green and pretty with nice villages and friendly folk, but other than that, and maybe a few historical things you can see in England or Scotland, it never really drew me. There are no towering mountains, not a lot of nature left, no vibrant cities (Dublin doesn't impress), not a lot of old history like Italy or France, the culture is sorta interesting but not that compelling and a lot of it seems to have gone.

I mean I might visit one day, but it's actually one of the few countries I wouldn't be too upset about if I never visited it.

What is your opinion?
Personally, I'm enamored by Ireland. I visited, and I agree about Dublin. I LIKED Dublin, but I walked away thinking it wasn't all that unique, but I liked it.

However, when I went to Galway, I loved Ireland. Loved the train ride there, and seeing all the redheads everywhere, the freckled people here and there. Thought that was interesting in itself.

Than once in Galway, they had so many Irish pubs, Irish dancing, Irish Guinness, buskers playing music, bookstores, etc. I only had three days in Galway, but I really felt I could have comfortably spent a week or two, as I was so much enjoying my routine - bookstores, listen to music, Irish pubs, Irish dancing, sleep, repeat.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Not really its quite boring and desolate. Although I would like to try out Dublin.

I'm sure someone visiting NI would say the same but tbh we are pretty good going with our houses. I don't think they would be as good down there.

You won't find anyone as nice as Irish people.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Ireland has one of the oldest megalithic sites in Newgrange which is older than the Egyptian pyramids and Stonehenge.

Newgrange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are numerous megalithic sites in Ireland.

List of megalithic monuments in Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The westcoast of Ireland would be the best to visit in my opinion as it has a lot of unspoilt beauty. Galway is a fantastic place for music and a great atmosphere.

A day in Galway, Ireland: city guide | Travel | The Guardian

Donegal is a beautiful county that a lot of people don't visit. Also Slieve League in Donegal are the highest sea cliffs in Europe.

Slieve League - Donegal - Ireland Travel

Also Co Clare has the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.
Cliffs of Moher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Burren, the Cliffs of Moher & surrounding regions

The Skelligs in Co Kerry are pretty unique and a UNESCO world heritage site. Monks used to go there for solitude in the Early Celtic Church and built a christian monastery there in the 6th century. Here is a haunting song called Skellig by Loreena McKennitt.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or7vQVyBkCI

Skellig Michael - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skellig Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aran Islands in Galway are also worth a visit. This Lonely Planet section has a lot on Ireland.
Aran Islands - Lonely Planet

The Ring of Kerry is a 179-km-long circular tourist route with spectacular scenery.
Ring of Kerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While in Kerry you could also go to visit the Lakes of Killarney and the Dingle Peninsula.
Lakes of Killarney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dingle Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could also visit Cork and Kinsale where there are lots of great eateries with some of the best seafood you will get anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(city)
Kinsale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ireland's scenic routes.
The scenic route: Ireland's most picturesque drives - Lonely Planet

This is all on the west coast of Ireland except for Newgrange. Ireland is definitely worth a visit. Anyone I've know that has visited Ireland loved it.

Hopefully some more people will add to this thread.
I am sooo sick of hearing about "the cliffs of moher" surely there must be something different and new?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Not really its quite boring and desolate. Although I would like to try out Dublin.

I'm sure someone visiting NI would say the same but tbh we are pretty good going with our houses. I don't think they would be as good down there.

You won't find anyone as nice as Irish people.
Have you been to the South Mac?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Yeah the megalithic sites would probably be the main thing...maybe going to an Irish ***. If I have time I could do it next time I go to Britain, after I've visited many other European countries.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Wow, I am surprised to read this. I guess I am biased because my Grandparents all came to The US from Mayo and Clare in Ireland and I play the Irish fiddle and love the country and culture, had a great time and will probably be there again within 2 years.

I was only 14 when I was there and we did not go to Dublin, but I loved the pretty fields, we climbed to the top of Croagh Patrick (some did it barefoot in years past), saw the Cliffs of Moher, megalithic site, Galway City, played in some sessions, helped a little on the farm. Our Cousins made us a "thanksgiving dinner" in Tipperary and we thought it was so nice that they remembered and knew it was Thanksgiving. The people are warm and friendly-much moreso than the UK. I would like to see Donegal and the North next time. I kind of agree about Dublin though-I'm not really itching to see it although I probably will on my next trip there.

If there is one country I don't need to see again it is England-I've toured it pretty sufficiently and probably won't go back.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-24-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World