Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM

170 posts, read 250,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You would help people in not jumping to that conclusion if you didn't say stuff like "stupid Québécois" or continue to spout fallacies like "banned English and made all other languages illegal" when all of this has been proven to be inaccurate.
Ok you're right I shouldn't have called them stupid Quebecois. If it's fallacious, please explain where I'm flawed in my reasoning? Because in my understanding Quebec declared only French legal, so in all normal senses that would make all other languages illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM

170 posts, read 250,087 times
Quote:
And yet...

Relative to population, Quebec takes in more immigrants that the good old United States of America.

In an average year, Quebec takes in more immigrants in sheer numbers than most US states with a comparable or slightly higher population (VA, PA, OH, MI, IL, GA, NC). It also takes in as many immigrants as New York, which has double Quebec's population (just under 50,000 for each).

Still relative to population, Quebec takes in more immigrants than the immigrant boom states of CA, FL and TX.
Immigration is Federal in the US, so your numbers are comparing apples to oranges. NY doesn't decide how many immigrants it can take, DC decides for the entire country.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:19 PM

26,759 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Immigration is Federal in the US, so your numbers are comparing apples to oranges. NY doesn't decide how many immigrants it can take, DC decides for the entire country.
But what does it matter? I also said that Quebec gets more immigrants relative to population than the US as a whole?

If we are a closed society hostile to foreigners then I suppose you guys are as well, no?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,301,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
So let's sum it up:
More socially liberal when it comes to sex and drugs,

Why do you think Mtl is more liberal when it comes to drugs? I'm not saying your wrong, I would just like to know more, please explain. I agree about the sex part though.

I haven't been to SF in along time ( will be there again next month), but from what I've been reading Frisco is becoming yuppie central. Its become one of the most expensive places to live in North America. All the Latinos and Blacks are being pushed out of the city due to rising housing costs. The Latino community in Frisco is shrinking, which is quite different from the rest of the state. It is not the counter culture and Gay capital like it used to be either. I think Frisco is becoming less liberal.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Ok you're right I shouldn't have called them stupid Quebecois. If it's fallacious, please explain where I'm flawed in my reasoning? Because in my understanding Quebec declared only French legal, so in all normal senses that would make all other languages illegal.
So every place in the world that has an official language has in the process "made all other languages illegal"?

California has English as its only official language, does it not?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Zack, you should note that Quebec has more minority language services (in English) than any other jurisdiction in Canada and the United States except for the Canadian province of New Brunswick.

From kindergarten to your PhD or MD in university, from anglo hospitals to English driver's licence exams to your electricity bill. All of this available in English.

But it's not enough, is it?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times
Quote:
From what I remember the French got pissed because the British came in and owned all the businesses, while the French were mainly rural and devoutly Roman Catholic. Then they revolted, nationalized a bunch of stuff, and made English illegal. All because they were mad they had to speak English at work? I think pragmatism would have solved their problems more than creating a closed society. Quebec doesn't seem very open and inviting to foreigners, and I'd dare say they look very intolerant of actual diversity. But tell me where I'm wrong in my assumptions?
An ignorant overview. You have a tenuous and inaccurate grip on Canadian history. I guess I'll throw my history degree largely earned at a Canadian university in the trash, because guy on the internet #35681 read some biased news articles for his school project.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The state language of California is English. Would you seriously consider this to mean that all other languages are illegal? It's like you say one ridiculous thing, and then shamelessly advance on to the next inaccurate claim. Do you honestly believe that in Montreal there is a police force walking around with batons making sure people are conversing in French? It's one of the most linguistically diverse places in the world; the law is there to ensure that French remains as the base language, like English is in the US.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM

It's almost comical (if it wasn't so aggravating) how some people couch the push for more English in Quebec as if it was a pro-diversity thing.

Of course! Having another corner of northern North America that functions primarily in English is somehow an enhancement to its human diversity and that of the world.

We get it!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Zack, you should note that Quebec has more minority language services (in English) than any other jurisdiction in Canada and the United States except for the Canadian province of New Brunswick.

From kindergarten to your PhD or MD in university, from anglo hospitals to English driver's licence exams to your electricity bill. All of this available in English.

But it's not enough, is it?
The strange thing is that I went to university in English in Montreal, visited the hospital in English, and conversed regularly in English in stores. When I went to buy my cell phone, I simply couldn't keep up with the sales girl's French, so I requested to be served in English, and was. When I dealt with my electricity bill through Hydro Quebec, I did so in English in order to avoid any misunderstandings. When some of my belongings were stolen, the police worked with me in English with no problem.

It must have been a different Montreal, because according to Zack I should be in prison right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World