Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 08:26 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

I asked a similar question in the Asia forum about Chinese dialects, but since Arabic is both in North Africa and West Asia (the Middle East), I didn't know whether to ask this in the Africa or Asia forum so here it goes.

It is not as commonly talked about as Chinese dialects, at least it seems from what I hear, but I have heard Arabic dialects are also pretty distinctive and some are even mutually unintelligible.

I hear that there is one standard Classical Arabic used for literary purposes, plus many colloquial dialects, such as Moroccan Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, Syrian Arabic, Kuwaiti Arabic etc.

Are these dialects mostly mutually intelligible, somewhat mutually intelligible or not at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Can't answer the question entirely but I do know that the ''standard Arabic'' that is the default variant is that of Egypt, owing to its big role in Arabic-language popular culture (movies, TV, music, etc.)

Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Oh yeah, my kids' friends who speak Arabic (and there are quite a few) will sometimes say that they can't fully understand each other, for example Lebanese vs. Moroccan, or Algerian vs. Lebanese. Of course, these are kids who grew up here, go to school in French and even mix Arabic and French at home. I wonder if kids living overseas who grow up in a more Arabic environment for everything might lead to people there having less difficulty understanding each other due to more exposure and a richer vocabulary.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
They are very different, especially when you get into some of the French influenced countries.

My friends tell me it would be more like the difference between Spanish and Portuguese than Spanish from Spain vs Latin American Spanish.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I somehow ended up with a good number of Lebanese and Egyptian friends--according to them, Moroccan Arabic is pretty hard to understand. It's not to the point where it's just completely unintelligible, but they do need people to slow down a bit when talking and they do find its accent funny. I'm guessing there's some degree of variability, but I'm guessing northern African dialects of Arabic (outside of Egypt) are particularly difficult because of the huge Berber/Berber-descended population of that part of the world.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Jordanian Arabic is a fusion of several regional dialects that, a century ago, were almost mutually unintelligible. Amman, the present day capital of nearly 3-million, was a few uninhabited ruins a century ago, and the Arabic now spoken in Amman is a sort of a patois constructed from the regional dialects.

There is an excellent brief outline of Jordanian Arabic at the top of this site:

Jordanian Arabic phrasebook - Wikitravel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World