Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No they aren't don't be so ridiculous.

The rich slave owners rarely interacted much with black slaves, contrary to popular belief. The Irish and Scotish were primarily overseers of black slaves. Blacks cultural influence definitely came moreso from Ireland than anywhere else. Poor whites in the south were primarily of Irish decent. So yes there is no way that black Americans CAN'T be influenced by Irish people. Black America culture certainly wasn't derived from Africa, as very little of that culture was survived. It's something very few people like to admit but there are a lot of cultural similarity. Black American culture is heavily European influenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 02:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The rich slave owners rarely interacted much with black slaves, contrary to popular belief. The Irish and Scotish were primarily overseers of black slaves. Blacks cultural influence definitely came moreso from Ireland than anywhere else. Poor whites in the south were primarily of Irish decent. So yes there is no way that black Americans CAN'T be influenced by Irish people. Black America culture certainly wasn't derived from Africa, as very little of that culture was survived. It's something very few people like to admit but there are a lot of cultural similarity. Black American culture is heavily European influenced.
Yes the key word here is influence I'm pretty sure infact 200% sure that alot of African American culture is derived from Africa.

One crude example is this "twerking" I mean clearly that is similar to those dances found in the Caribbean wining which is clearly African or less your blind. Rapping, jazz and hip hop, too

Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Actually they were indentured servants in America before black slavery became popular in America
But Irish were not seen as inferior like Black people was and still are subconsciously by the masses.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
Well the English didn't have respect for the Irish no but its not the same extent.
Also the Irish are not poor anymore compared with how it used to be.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes the key word here is influence I'm pretty sure infact 200% sure that alot of African American culture is derived from Africa.

One crude example is this "twerking" I mean clearly that is similar to those dances found in the Caribbean wining which is clearly African or less your blind. Rapping, jazz and hip hop, too

How many black women were twerking in the 20s,30s, or 40s? I didn't hear about twerking until the late 90s, which is basically some black rappers going to some Jamaican clubs and taking their dance styles. And how is black American culture 200% African? Tell me how similar Mandingos and some black guy from NY has anything in common? And how is it possible that black Americans interacted more with Irish people in hundreds of years, yet has no cultural influence from the Irish.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Jazz has heavy European influences. So that's not a good example. Rap was influenced a lot by disco in the 70s. Early rap songs were disco influenced.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
How many black women were twerking in the 20s,30s, or 40s? I didn't hear about twerking until the late 90s, which is basically some black rappers going to some Jamaican clubs and taking their dance styles. And how is black American culture 200% African? Tell me how similar Mandingos and some black guy from NY has anything in common? And how is it possible that black Americans interacted more with Irish people in hundreds of years, yet has no cultural influence from the Irish.
I meant I'm 200% sure that AA have some African influences in their culture however its said that African American people are the most Europeanised.

Quote:
Jazz has heavy European influences. So that's not a good example. Rap was influenced a lot by disco in the 70s. Early rap songs were disco influenced.
Influence again is the key word, Haitians have a French influenced culture but they still have other influences namely West African...

Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I meant I'm 200% sure that AA have some African influences in their culture however its said that African American people are the most Europeanised.

Influence again is the key word, Haitians have a French influenced culture but they still have other influences namely West African...
Colonial British was different than Colonial France or Colonial Spain. British people goal was to make people in their colonies take on their culture. France is different and so is Spain. Which is why African influence survives more amongst blacks in those colonies. In wither case, I'm 200% sure any African culture a black America would have been forced out of them by the 1800s. Blacks were forced to learn English in America and convert to Christanity. West Africa was not a heavily Christan areas during the times if slavery. Many black Americans are unaware of the indigenous religions of Africa of the time. So very little African culture has survived. Black Americans are far more European than African.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
You can always tell an Irish person by the lower jaw. That wee small jaw is always a give away.

My jaw is sharp and narrow. I have high cheek bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World