Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

Old thread but interesting. In Philippines, probably half the people are so poor they've never been off the island they were born on. But anyone with a regular urban job can travel very cheaply. About a half-dollar an hour on modern cross-island buses and very cheap inter-island ferries, cheaper still on slower pump-boats. So people don't hesitate to travel for an occasional splurge.

Air fares are very cheap, under $40 from anywhere to Manila.

Private cars are rarely taken off the home-island, but license numbers are not coded, so I have no idea how many off-island cars I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Since the country is small and most places are within a maximum of 3-4 hours to drive (except for the islands), I have visited almost all regions. There are 59 towns in Estonia: 47 ordinary towns and 12 so called "small towns" (in fact the so called ordinary towns and small towns have no distinction, the ordinary towns are usually just older) and I have visited most of them. However, there are 9 towns in Estonia where I have never been.
As far as travel trends are concerned, the inhabitants of the north-Estonia visit the south-Estonia as tourists and the inland inhabitants naturally visit the coastal areas.

Last edited by Anhityk; 04-08-2019 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-08-2019, 03:03 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Up until around 2005 Colombians hardly knew their own country. The huge geographical barriers, expensive domestic flights, regionally focused society and security issues around travelling by highway meant that people stuck to their regions. I remember growing up having never seen one Black or visibly Native American Colombian until I was 18 where I decided to travel more of the country.

Nowadays with the advent of perhaps the cheapest air travel in LatAm, much improved highway infrastructure and security on those highways has meant that Colombians are beginning to discover the other elements of their country. Travel has rocketed and thus has become the regional darling of the Airline industry. Although there's still little interaction between East and West, i.e. the people of the Santander region on the Eastern branch of the Andes and the Eastern tropical Savannah hardly know or have visited the Paisa/Coffee region or Cali on the Western branch of the Andes. There's even less interaction between North and South i.e. Caribbean vs Amazon/Southern Andes. Also nationally very little is known about the South-West with a strong Native American presence. The Pacific coast with strong West African influence has had more recent exposure although travel there is still a challenge but the Caribbean region is the most visited by people of the Andean interior. The Amazon region is also largely under travelled.

Despite having travelled the country extensively, there are still large swathes of the country with very unique cultural traditions I have yet to experience. In Colombia you can spend a lifetime learning about new cultures and sites of archaeological, natural or cultural importance.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times
I live in Florida. We get a lot of visitors to our state almost year around and they come from all over the USA and foreign countries. I live in a small city in southwest Florida and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't run into someone who is not from here. In winter we get a ton of Canadians in my neighborhood. I'd say that ten percent of my neighbors in winter are from Canada. In general, though, I'd say that most Americans visiting Florida are from the New York and Long island area.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM

82 posts, read 73,062 times
I grew up in South Carolina USA and moved to Denver CO USA a year ago. I found that people on the coast don't tend to travel much even though things are tightly clustered. People may go down to Miami, or up to DC or NYC but I find it's not common. They don't go for a vacation really. Usually only if they have a reason to visit family or for work. They also don't tend to fly to the west coast or midwest because tickets are more expensive. In the west/midwest things are so spread out that your concept of far changes. You can drive wide open on backroads for 8 hours across the state of Kansas and not even think about it. I do like being out in the west/midwest now because it's so much cheaper to get to cool places. It does take the time off and money but it's nice being centrally located to get to see so many parts of the country that people don't often venture to. I think moving around helps. If you're used to moving then you like traveling and seeing new places so you will make time to get out to San Diego or up to Chicago whereas people who have stayed in their home town and not traveled much don't find many incentives to travel about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World