Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moscow or Cape Town
Moscow 2 22.22%
Cape Town 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

31 posts, read 59,225 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I have the opportunity to travel and visit another city I haven't been to. Russia and South Africa I haven't visited yet but heard a lot from friends and colleagues. Could you guys give me any ideas on what arguments I should base my decision on, weather not being a factor for me, but basically anything else is welcome!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If you stick to these two as your only choices, then I say Cape Town. Much more scenic, there's a fabulous local music scene--check out the musical theater venues--and great weather.

On the other hand, if you were to substitute St. Petersburg for Moscow, then I'd vote for St. Pete's, no contest! Lots of world-class museums, history and royal palaces up the wazoo (be sure to go not only to the Hermitage/Winter Palace (which is an extensive art museum as well as the historic winter residence of the czars), but also to Peter the Great's palace, Peterhof. There's enough to see there to justify two visits, in fact. The grounds are extensive and beautiful, there are actually several palaces there along with smaller pavilions, and the fountains and water games are a lot of fun on a warm summer day), absolutely exquisite architecture, tours through the canals (it's the Venice of the North), many historic sites.

Moscow, on the other hand, has dysfunctional traffic, no palaces outside the Kremlin, Red Square, and that's about it. A couple of good art museums. It's a big, congested city. St. Pete's, by comparison, seems light and airy, with dramatic vistas along the network of canals, and has plenty to do. And it's a lot closer to Zurich than Cape Town.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 AM

31 posts, read 59,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you stick to these two as your only choices, then I say Cape Town. Much more scenic, there's a fabulous local music scene--check out the musical theater venues--and great weather.

On the other hand, if you were to substitute St. Petersburg for Moscow, then I'd vote for St. Pete's, no contest! Lots of world-class museums, history and royal palaces up the wazoo (be sure to go not only to the Hermitage/Winter Palace (which is an extensive art museum as well as the historic winter residence of the czars), but also to Peter the Great's palace, Peterhof. There's enough to see there to justify two visits, in fact. The grounds are extensive and beautiful, there are actually several palaces there along with smaller pavilions, and the fountains and water games are a lot of fun on a warm summer day), absolutely exquisite architecture, tours through the canals (it's the Venice of the North), many historic sites.

Moscow, on the other hand, has dysfunctional traffic, no palaces outside the Kremlin, Red Square, and that's about it. A couple of good art museums. It's a big, congested city. St. Pete's, by comparison, seems light and airy, with dramatic vistas along the network of canals, and has plenty to do. And it's a lot closer to Zurich than Cape Town.
Yeah but I am not so much of a Museum type guy either. Could you possibly tell me any advantages of life in Moscow though?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 AM

97 posts, read 97,487 times
Are you aware of the white genocide currently occurring in South Africa?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Are you aware of the white genocide currently occurring in South Africa?
It is a myth that there is white genocide in South Africa. There are still several million whites that still live there. Yet a large number of whites fled South Africa in the last 20 years and the biggest reason why there has been a decline in Whites is due to that.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Both are great cities; Cape town's more scenic while Moscow is more grand I'd say.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 PM

97 posts, read 97,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It is a myth that there is white genocide in South Africa. There are still several million whites that still live there. Yet a large number of whites fled South Africa in the last 20 years and the biggest reason why there has been a decline in Whites is due to that.
"About 50 people on average are murdered in South-Africa per day, of which at least 20 of them are whites(95+ % black on white murder rate)"

Note white people make up only 9% (4 500 000) of the demographics in South-Africa

Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdude View Post
Hi there

I have the opportunity to travel and visit another city I haven't been to. Russia and South Africa I haven't visited yet but heard a lot from friends and colleagues. Could you guys give me any ideas on what arguments I should base my decision on, weather not being a factor for me, but basically anything else is welcome!!! Thanks
Moscow and Cape Town are especially arbitrary, and spontaneous combination of cities to include in a World forum original topic.

What are you looking for in your next travel experience? Somewhere more foreign, exotic, more connected to nature, less urban scenery, an extremely different continent, and more of a risky adventure? Cape Town ends up an easy choice.

If you want somewhere much more urban, technically a European metropolis of more than 10 million people, closer to home yet one of the most incongruent, and opposite areas of Europe compared to Switzerland then there is Moscow Russia.

Why are you not focusing on somewhere else in travel? Moscow, and Cape Town might disappoint, and there is more inviting, comfortable, desirable travel destinations of the world.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Capetown would be a better pick. Weather much warmer, has great access to the beach. In addition the level of crime is not has high as Johannesburg.

Moscow is cold, and also hear the people are not very friendly, in addition there are big problems with corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World