Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 03:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Glasgow will never been compared to an American city because we do not get the poverty and crime which i seen/heard of. You are comparing the whole city as being "bad" when it is only the east end that is run down and has crime problems but not downtown, south side or east end.

I have posted pictures, yes the east end is pretty rough but nothing like Detroit, New Orleans, LA, Jackson, MS

I can bet you've never been here either, fitting statement and typically ignorant.

Every city has its problems, theres no doubt about that but i live here and never ever hear of alot of crime, it is not the Glasgow it used to be its a transformed city. My fiance cant believe how safe it is here compared to American cities (he is American)

Please come and visit and judge for yourself, you'll find alot of people love Glasgow and do not think that at all.
Glasgow is also a hell of a lot safer than Miami! Heck, even the drivers here are deadly enough!

For the record, I've been to Glasgow a few times and I really liked it. It has a real "big city" feel to it and most of the people I met there were very friendly and welcoming.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Glasgow is also a hell of a lot safer than Miami! Heck, even the drivers here are deadly enough!

For the record, I've been to Glasgow a few times and I really liked it. It has a real "big city" feel to it and most of the people I met there were very friendly and welcoming.
Thats usually the case but its people thats never been here that are the ones to judge and listen to old stats, alot has changed as you probably know.

I've never had or know anyone thats had any problems and we visit once a week i used to work downtown for 3 years too. Very safe downtown but i'd never visit the east end alot not that i'd get shot but maybe mugged, theres drug activity there but its only one part unlike the whole of the city being nasty.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

14 posts, read 93,138 times
The point in US for example is that if you avoid certain areas you're safe. In Naples you can go to centre, to the suburb, to the nearly countryside and you'll find people pointing guns at you, from 14 years old children to older ppl only to get your 10 euros in the pocket. You think you're safe in the centre where thousands of ppl are walking? Obviously not, a robber can come behind you with a knife, bring you to a little street and leave you naked. And there isn't stupid street gang crime, there are poor ppl who don't mind about stupid groups, but just kill for few euros, and for sure, there's the Camorra who decides how you live and if you live. The same in Rome, most ppl don't go to register crimes, there's no Camorra but there is the influence of 'Ndrangheta for example. The only "safe" place in Rome is the centre and 2-3 zones in the neighborhoods. All the other places is full of popular housing projects, residences and gypsies camps.
It's easy to heard about US criminal cities, but saying that Europe can't be compared is just ****. Detroit is paradise for neapolitan.
Just see, there's some little villages in southern Italy where a citation will leave you away. Simplified it says: If you go there, 85% times you'll get sequestred.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRoman View Post
The point in US for example is that if you avoid certain areas you're safe. In Naples you can go to centre, to the suburb, to the nearly countryside and you'll find people pointing guns at you, from 14 years old children to older ppl only to get your 10 euros in the pocket. You think you're safe in the centre where thousands of ppl are walking? Obviously not, a robber can come behind you with a knife, bring you to a little street and leave you naked. And there isn't stupid street gang crime, there are poor ppl who don't mind about stupid groups, but just kill for few euros, and for sure, there's the Camorra who decides how you live and if you live. The same in Rome, most ppl don't go to register crimes, there's no Camorra but there is the influence of 'Ndrangheta for example. The only "safe" place in Rome is the centre and 2-3 zones in the neighborhoods. All the other places is full of popular housing projects, residences and gypsies camps.
It's easy to heard about US criminal cities, but saying that Europe can't be compared is just ****. Detroit is paradise for neapolitan.
Just see, there's some little villages in southern Italy where a citation will leave you away. Simplified it says: If you go there, 85% times you'll get sequestred.
Yeah Naples is VERY dangerous, we have a villa in Sorrento (my Gran was born there) so we'd never visit the city, just the airport and that would be it.

It is worse than many U.S cities but in general European cities are safer than most American cities. For example I would never go to Detriot, LA, Newark, Little Rock, Memphis etc.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Here is a chart comparing the murder rates of various American cities to that of Toronto:

http://torontoist.com/attachments/to...iciderates.jpg

Old 05-23-2009, 06:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Here is a chart comparing the murder rates of various American cities to that of Toronto:

http://torontoist.com/attachments/to...iciderates.jpg
Toronto is known to be a pretty safe city.. so it's a given that it's going to be lower than a lot of U.S. cities. Canada in general is safer than the U.S.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:56 AM

129 posts, read 555,386 times
That report on Scotland( has been disputed by scottish police personnel) and was from the United Nations which has been accused before of hiding American realities and protecting the US govts desired image.. Maybe as the UN is in New york city USA, might have something to do with it.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:00 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,360 times
The above post along with some other recent ones show the truth in the adage that there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Yeah Naples is VERY dangerous, we have a villa in Sorrento (my Gran was born there) so we'd never visit the city, just the airport and that would be it.

It is worse than many U.S cities but in general European cities are safer than most American cities. For example I would never go to Detriot, LA, Newark, Little Rock, Memphis etc.
This is my perception of Naples (it might be somewhat dated) - if you LOOK like a local person, your risk of running into violence is pretty low unless you go to places that no tourist would ever set foot in like Scampia. OTOH, if you look like you're definitely not a local (e.g. if you're blonde, Asian, black, or tall with light brown hair) then you could encounter violence of some sort. Neapolitans for the most part are proud of how many of their people helped build up America and did very well for themselves in America so they're not particularly anti-American, but they can be a bit xenophobic and intolerant of people who don't look like them and don't try to blend in. This is reflected in robberies and muggings - and it does seem that the visitors to Naples who have the best time or at least the fewest hassles happen to be whites with dark hair and Mediterranean appearances.

OTOH the risk of petty theft, bag-snatching, car break-ins, and other property crime is VERY high, as high as anywhere in the US, no matter what you look like. And you couldn't pay me enough to drive there or bring a car there. I'd be more scared of being killed or injured in a car accident than from crime. IMO while it's dangerous by the standards of Western Europe, by the standards of the US it's about average or even a little safer than average. And I disagree about Neapolitans finding Detroit a paradise, unless you're talking about the Neapolitan skill of living by your wits and being able to survive easily anywhere (which is why people from there were able to succeed in the US, Canada, Australia, Argentina...) I think someone from Naples would be targeted for violence easily in most of Detroit, OTOH most of Detroit's population would be targeted for violence easily in Naples....

Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
:Snort: Talk about paranoia. Unless you are in a gang, you have little to worry about in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World