Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM
 
95 posts, read 563,981 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Cleveland, OH...Camden, NJ and Newark NJ are ndeed violent areas as well

 
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Reputation: 988
Palermo used to be really violent

But yeh I go with Los Angeles CA

The gangs are having a race war there, does not get much worse than that.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Reputation: 7477
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Palermo used to be really violent

But yeh I go with Los Angeles CA

The gangs are having a race war there, does not get much worse than that.
There are quite a few US cities more violent than LA including other California cities. Familiar with Oakland at all?

As for Palermo, it does have pretty severe problems with petty theft, pickpocketing, and bag-snatching etc. but
low violent crime.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
63 posts, read 194,775 times
Reputation: 43
St. Louis gets a bad rap from the "most dangerous" cities tripe published yearly (for publicity..not by law enforcement).

There's a reason, however....

St. Louis is one of the few independent cities in the United States. That means that the city is not actually part of any county..the city is its own independent entity. The metropolitan area of STL has around 3M peope, but the small "city" core, which is comprised of the inner city, only has about 280,000. St. Louis's crime statistics, then, are only based on crime stats in the inner city...Not a larger metropolitan areas, as most "traditionally" districted cities are.

If you judged every city on its inner core, your crime stats will be raised. I'm not saying STL would be considered "Safe"...but i think that little known fact skews the statistics a little bit.
 
Old 12-09-2007, 02:50 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are quite a few US cities more violent than LA including other California cities. Familiar with Oakland at all?

As for Palermo, it does have pretty severe problems with petty theft, pickpocketing, and bag-snatching etc. but
low violent crime.
San Francisco has a higher violent crime rate than LA too. Of course LA has it's gangs, but the overall level of violence there has gone down drastically since the 90's and 80's.
 
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Reputation: 7477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
San Francisco has a higher violent crime rate than LA too. Of course LA has it's gangs, but the overall level of violence there has gone down drastically since the 90's and 80's.
I know very well about SF having just surpassed LA for violent crime for probably the first time since LA became a big city. People are decieved by the level of violent crime in SF because its a prettier and friendlier city than LA.

However, Oakland is scarier than both LA and SF ....as are Richmond and San Bernardino.
 
Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 PM
 
73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Reputation: 21934
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I know very well about SF having just surpassed LA for violent crime for probably the first time since LA became a big city. People are decieved by the level of violent crime in SF because its a prettier and friendlier city than LA.

However, Oakland is scarier than both LA and SF ....as are Richmond and San Bernardino.
I am not surprised to hear of California's violent cities(and now I have lost my appetite for ever relocating to LA), but no one has mentioned Atlanta or New Orleans, 2 very violent cities.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
 
95 posts, read 563,981 times
Reputation: 91
To handle the secondary dispute about which cities are the most dangerous in the U.S. go here Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com
 
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
Reputation: 200
why are several american cities so violent?

why is scotland and the UK so violent? IRA? weather?

and does anyone have a link to an article listing the most violent cities in the developed world?
 
Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
63 posts, read 194,775 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
why are several american cities so violent?

why is scotland and the UK so violent? IRA? weather?

and does anyone have a link to an article listing the most violent cities in the developed world?
Wherever you have multiple, often disparate, cultures/classes living in close proximity to one another, you're going to have crime and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top