Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Reputation: 7477

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
First of all, what criteria is one using for "developed"?
Mexico is considered a "middle-income" country.
Are they to be included?

If we use what I believe the OP intended, developed countries would be limited to US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the EU + non-members.

If that's the case, the US is easily the most violent out of all of the countries mentioned, and so therefore the most violent cities in the world's developed countries would be found in the States.

So ... pick some, and I bet you won't be far from the absolute truth.

If we add middle income countries, one would say that cities in the States, Brazil, Colombia, and South Africa would be on the list.
Forgetting about Eastern Europe? The cities of the Baltic States are pretty dangerous - Riga's level of violence is comparable to Detroit's or Camden's. Bucharest is pretty nasty as well.

 
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Miami
888 posts, read 886,775 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Forgetting about Eastern Europe? The cities of the Baltic States are pretty dangerous - Riga's level of violence is comparable to Detroit's or Camden's. Bucharest is pretty nasty as well.
Understood ... and you may be right. I have been to Bucharest a couple of times back in 2004-2005, and I am also aware of violent US cities, because I lived for many years in the States. I don't think the level of violent crime is as high in Romania (homocides, rapes, assaults) as it is in Saint Louis or Detroit.

Plus, I was hesitant to call Eastern European countries as 'developed', because they certainly are less so, compared to W. Europe and the US, etc.
 
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
 
7 posts, read 21,993 times
Reputation: 20
Any city or country that has restrictive Gun laws preventing the ordinary citizen from effecively protecting themselves from harm is ripe for Violence.

Armed people are a polite society. Concealed weapons in the hands of responsible people are as harmless as a 4000 lb mobile weapon (car) in the hands of a responsible driver.
 
Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Miami
888 posts, read 886,775 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafhoss View Post
Any city or country that has restrictive Gun laws preventing the ordinary citizen from effecively protecting themselves from harm is ripe for Violence.

Armed people are a polite society. Concealed weapons in the hands of responsible people are as harmless as a 4000 lb mobile weapon (car) in the hands of a responsible driver.
The first paragraph of the above comment is easily up for debate. The US is easily one of the most violent countries on Earth, and is the most violent developed country on Earth. Germany has restrictive gun policies, and their homocide rate is extremely low.

Of course, the poster says "ripe for violence", which makes it harder to completely refute the point. Maybe a better word would be "lacking protection if there was to be a personal or adjacent attack". That would be more accurate.

Having said that, I am not convinced that the low violence rate has anything to do with restrictive gun policies, it has more to do with the fact that German society - and most all European societies (post-1945, of course) are non-violent societies, compared to the US.

So, for the second paragraph - it's true, just because you carry a concealed weapon does not mean you are irresponsible and will commit murder.
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 AM
 
Location: England
578 posts, read 3,063,327 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
The first paragraph of the above comment is easily up for debate. The US is easily one of the most violent countries on Earth, and is the most violent developed country on Earth. Germany has restrictive gun policies, and their homocide rate is extremely low.

Of course, the poster says "ripe for violence", which makes it harder to completely refute the point. Maybe a better word would be "lacking protection if there was to be a personal or adjacent attack". That would be more accurate.

Having said that, I am not convinced that the low violence rate has anything to do with restrictive gun policies, it has more to do with the fact that German society - and most all European societies (post-1945, of course) are non-violent societies, compared to the US.

So, for the second paragraph - it's true, just because you carry a concealed weapon does not mean you are irresponsible and will commit murder.
The UK - Scotland, England and Wales all have higher violence to the US, a person would be at greater risk of being a victim of violence from any of these places over the US. Scotland holds the title as been the most violent developed nation in the world for the last few years.
 
Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM
 
42 posts, read 24,396 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
The UK - Scotland, England and Wales all have higher violence to the US, a person would be at greater risk of being a victim of violence from any of these places over the US. Scotland holds the title as been the most violent developed nation in the world for the last few years.

Scotland?? I find that hard to believe, somehow. I know Glasgow has a bit of a reputation, but it comes nowhere near many US cities in terms of murder, surely?

Besides, Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on earth - a land of lochs, glens, forests, sleepy fishing towns and remote castles....not exactly the Bronx or East LA!!
 
Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Reputation: 7477
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
Understood ... and you may be right. I have been to Bucharest a couple of times back in 2004-2005, and I am also aware of violent US cities, because I lived for many years in the States. I don't think the level of violent crime is as high in Romania (homocides, rapes, assaults) as it is in Saint Louis or Detroit.

Plus, I was hesitant to call Eastern European countries as 'developed', because they certainly are less so, compared to W. Europe and the US, etc.
I didn't compare Bucharest with Detroit or St. Louis. It is BAD, but not that bad. OTOH, Riga really is that awful. As screwed up as Romania is, Latvia makes it seem Utopian.
 
Old 12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
 
Location: England
578 posts, read 3,063,327 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Scotland?? I find that hard to believe, somehow. I know Glasgow has a bit of a reputation, but it comes nowhere near many US cities in terms of murder, surely?

Besides, Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on earth - a land of lochs, glens, forests, sleepy fishing towns and remote castles....not exactly the Bronx or East LA!!
Yes scotland but I do need to make clear that its excluding murder.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...786945,00.html

The US is also one of the most beautiful places on earth a land to some of the best natural wonders in the world with many sleepy towns and historic landmarks.
 
Old 12-21-2007, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Brusssels
1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Reputation: 1921
Naples, Italy. The number of grisly murders and shootings there is very high.

You can even read about it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gomorrah-Rober...8272087&sr=8-1
 
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Scotland?? I find that hard to believe, somehow. I know Glasgow has a bit of a reputation, but it comes nowhere near many US cities in terms of murder, surely?
Arguments lose their validity when they are merely based on preconceived ideas.

Quote:
Besides, Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on earth - a land of lochs, glens, forests, sleepy fishing towns and remote castles....not exactly the Bronx or East LA!!
How is that argument logical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top