Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Personal Freedom - what country gives you the most?
United States 20 20.41%
Canada 15 15.31%
Sweden 3 3.06%
Norway 2 2.04%
Australia 2 2.04%
Japan 1 1.02%
China 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
France 0 0%
Germany 2 2.04%
New Zealand 8 8.16%
The Netherlands 14 14.29%
Brazil 0 0%
Mexico 2 2.04%
Italy 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Thailand 1 1.02%
Spain 1 1.02%
Denmark 1 1.02%
Austria 1 1.02%
Switzerland 3 3.06%
Ireland 1 1.02%
Hungary 0 0%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Another country 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:10 PM

391 posts, read 753,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My guess: the poorest, most undeveloped countries in the world, just like the freedom the U.S. enjoyed during that era of our history, when you could spend a day off at an opium den or a brothel, with no income taxes to pay.

The more developed a country, the less freedom!
Those were the days!

Unfortunately, there is no place like the US back in the 19th century. And there probably will never be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 05:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
There are no free countries in the world. However, the US is the closest there is.

No other country really comes close.
Well that's the propaganda, now where are the facts?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"As for Jesse44, I honestly couldn't care less. I'd probably threaten him the same charges too, given his comment. There's no place for his stupid banter on an Internet site in a developed country. Period. Speaking out about outspoken conservatives and whatever is just plain wrong for all time and I consider it on par with not being allowed to kill someone, as far as freedom restrictions go."

Not so fun to be on the receiving end, is it?
I wasn't speaking about not letting conservative types express their opinions, just the bigotry towards minorities. Pretty big difference. And replacing my name in here doesn't hurt my feelings either. If being allowed to crap all over ethnic groups, races, and the LGBT community is part of freedom, I'd rather not be 'free' in that respect anyways. Regardless, Canada seems to rank among the best in freedom indexes, so apparently the system of not tolerating intolerance seems to work well around these parts.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 PM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
There are no free countries in the world. However, the US is the closest there is.

No other country really comes close.
Can't even drink a beer outside

Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM

491 posts, read 753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Can't even drink a beer outside
You can get married, drive, buy a house, have kids, die for your country, carry firearms but you are still banned from ordering a friggin beer if you're not quite 21....

There are many censoring rules as to what words are allowed on live TV.... not like in europe, say "****" and nothing happens... case and point: the forum censored the word... it's like islamic countries and women's hair... so taboo

No nudity at all on american TV.... not lke in europe....

In the U.S you have to put tape on logo's and brands when filming unless you want to face law suites.... laughable...

In the U.S cops can bust into peoples homes and take people away just for drinking.... that is quite an outrage.

If you happen to have sex (maybe drunk?) with a girl close to 18 you could end up spending many, many years in jail... that is a serious violation on human rights....

what about mmm... possible innocent humans facing a horrifying, slowly choking death by lethal injection? that doesn't sound too civilized eh

Last edited by MrPilot; 04-19-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
You can get married, drive, buy a house, have kids, die for your country, carry firearms but you are still banned from ordering a friggin beer if you're not quite 21....
No matter your age, you won't get let into a Bar without identification. Comical stuff

Old 04-19-2014, 06:54 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post

True. And it's dumb.

There are many censoring rules as to what words are allowed on live TV.... not like in europe, say "****" and nothing happens... case and point: the forum censored the word... it's like islamic countries and women's hair... so taboo

No nudity at all on american TV.... not lke in europe....

Kinda. Not on network TV, but HBO and things like that, it doesn't matter.

In the U.S you have to put tape on logo's and brands when filming unless you want to face law suites.... laughable...

I guess.

In the U.S cops can bust into peoples homes and take people away just for drinking.... that is quite an outrage.

What? lol

If you happen to have sex (maybe drunk?) with a girl close to 18 you could end up spending many, many years in jail... that is a serious violation on human rights....

That might vary by state.

what about mmm... possible innocent humans facing a horrifying, slowly choking death by lethal injection? that doesn't sound too civilized eh

That's true.
Quote:
No matter your age, you won't get let into a Bar without identification. Comical stuff

I've gone to plenty of bars in Detroit, and have only been carded a handful of times. You're probably not going to get into a bar here in Windsor without getting carded, either. Too many young Americans coming over.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I wasn't speaking about not letting conservative types express their opinions, just the bigotry towards minorities. Pretty big difference. And replacing my name in here doesn't hurt my feelings either. If being allowed to crap all over ethnic groups, races, and the LGBT community is part of freedom, I'd rather not be 'free' in that respect anyways. Regardless, Canada seems to rank among the best in freedom indexes, so apparently the system of not tolerating intolerance seems to work well around these parts.
Yes being intolerant of intolerance works. But as you've touched upon, let's be careful let's not confuse that with freedom. Freedom can be a messy, risky, and dangerous thing as in your example of being able to denigrate minorities. Another example is paying exorbitant taxes for government college education isn't freedom - it's security. To choose freedom over security in these cases is unappealing to many people.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 PM

What is with some peoples obsession over equality for minorities/gays? No one is forcing you to live where you do. I don't travel in foreign lands and complain over "mistreatment".

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
What is with some peoples obsession over equality for minorities/gays? No one is forcing you to live where you do. I don't travel in foreign lands and complain over "mistreatment".
What exactly do you mean?

What if you live somewhere where you are a minority and you are not protected by civil laws? That's why people care about this. I don't understand how some people can lack such empathy for another human being over a political or religious difference. Nobody deserves to be berated over the way they simply are, and that's why it's such a big fight to help those people. My sympathy doesn't stop at the Canadian border, where minorities and gays would have the support of the majority of society and the law. I would like to see all people treated equally everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World