Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Inuit could have been capable of colonizing Antarctica in the past?
Yes 6 17.14%
No 21 60.00%
Not Sure 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times

Advertisements

The Inuit are well adapted to survive a harsh arctic environment. Do you think they would have been able to colonize Antarctica had they an opportunity in the past? Would they have been able to survive there? Curious to hear thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The Inuit are well adapted to survive a harsh arctic environment. Do you think they would have been able to colonize Antarctica had they an opportunity in the past? Would they have been able to survive there? Curious to hear thoughts.
Yes. They would be able to survive if there were seals, and Antarctica has seals. Seals are the main staple for Inuit people, and with the plentiful seals and whales in the area they would have been able to make a go of it I think. It's a bit cold there, even for them, but they'd be helped along by the absence of predators like polar bears and wolves, and the presence of penguins who I'd imagine are really easy to hunt and would make an excellent source of heating oil, bones, and meat.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I'm not so sure that all it takes is seals for Inuit to survive and thrive. They also eat small land mammals, which are absent in Antarctica, and there are no fur-bearing animals for them to make warm clothes from, there. Some Inuit hunt reindeer rather than marine mammals. I think their dietary and other needs are more complex than what Antarctica has to offer.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not so sure that all it takes is seals for Inuit to survive and thrive. They also eat small land mammals, which are absent in Antarctica, and there are no fur-bearing animals for them to make warm clothes from, there. Some Inuit hunt reindeer rather than marine mammals. I think their dietary and other needs are more complex than what Antarctica has to offer.
That's true about the fur... I wonder if they could somehow use penguin feathers to make clothes with?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM

581 posts, read 968,737 times
Assuming the Inuit were magically teleported to Antarctica, I don't think so. I think it wouldn't have enough resources for tool making, so they'd need to rely on a significant amount of trade. And Antarctica isn't easy to reach: In Canada all those islands are connected by ice and they can migrate to warmer, more resourceful areas as needed. The closest place to trade with or migrate to is Tierra del Fuego, and that's hundreds of miles of violent sea away and never freezes over.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
No.

I mean what would they do? They live in frozen places.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Coastal Antarctica isn't as cold as the interior so if they had some how landed on Antarctica, they would have been able to survive, at least along the coast. Does seal skin make for a warm coat?

They can always adapt and fish instead of hunting game.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Coastal Antarctica isn't as cold as the interior so if they had some how landed on Antarctica, they would have been able to survive, at least along the coast. Does seal skin make for a warm coat?

They can always adapt and fish instead of hunting game.
Perhaps they could have brought young polar bears to the continent...
I think polar bears could have thrived in Antarctica by eating penguins and that would have provided them with plenty of fur for warm clothes.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
^^^This and Antarctica has much harsher winter temperatures than the arctic. That combined with no fur bearing animals would mean a no in my opinion. Nothing lives on Antarctica that can't either fly or swim away.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Perhaps they could have brought young polar bears to the continent...
I think polar bears could have thrived in Antarctica by eating penguins and that would have provided them with plenty of fur for warm clothes.
Or, the Polar Bears could just eat the seals there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World