U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,903 posts, read 21,257,759 times
Reputation: 38472

Advertisements

I knew some Ukrainians in Yonkers, NY. 1st and second generation. They haaaaated being called Russian or asked if they were speaking Russian. Now, that may have been more from pride of the Ukraine than hatred of Russia itself. They also didn't socialize with Russian speaking Ukrainians. They were seperate social groups even if they were Americanized (English speaking).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Florida
23,801 posts, read 11,646,106 times
Reputation: 19923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I remember when George Bush sent our military to Afghanistan in response to 9-11 there were anti-American riots all over the world and people burning US and British flags. It was even worse after the Iraq war when we reasonably believed Saddam Hussein assisted in 9-11 and had WMDs (he might well have had them and given them to Syria). Likewise the world loves to criticize Israel and there were anti-Israeli protests when they attacked Lebanon in response to terrorists firing rockets from there and kidnapping Israeli soldiers across the border.
Your argument premise is badly flawed with that statement. It was not reasonable to believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, as there was no proof whatsoever. It was propaganda and disinformation disseminated by the Bush admin. It had also been made clear that there were no WMDs there. Much of this country was against that war. Your cavalier comment is an excellent example of why the rest of the world has a negative view of us. The UK got stuck going along with Bush and therefore there were many protests and demonstrations--they were right. The Iraq invasion was planned the day Bush was sworn into office. Stop whitewashing the decision to attack a country that had not attacked us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
 
21,731 posts, read 12,833,067 times
Reputation: 16050
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Ever single Ukranian I've ever met hated Russia in a way I've never seen someone hate another country before. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I've never seen that level of hate directed at a country in my life. I remember saying to a Ukrainian girl that Ukrainians are similar to Russians; that girl never spoke to me again, ever, no matter how much I apologized. Just a coincidence? Could be.
There are many who remember history putting Russia in a less than flattering light.

Soviet occupation of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,261 posts, read 14,795,646 times
Reputation: 13506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Your argument premise is badly flawed with that statement. It was not reasonable to believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, as there was no proof whatsoever. It was propaganda and disinformation disseminated by the Bush admin. It had also been made clear that there were no WMDs there. Much of this country was against that war. Your cavalier comment is an excellent example of why the rest of the world has a negative view of us. The UK got stuck going along with Bush and therefore there were many protests and demonstrations--they were right. The Iraq invasion was planned the day Bush was sworn into office. Stop whitewashing the decision to attack a country that had not attacked us.
Yep. And that's why Canada didn't go to war with Iraq. We went into Afghanistan October of 2001 though, since that is the country that was harbouring Americas attackers. And we're still there, fighting for you.

We've got your back, America. Just not when you make **** up. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,572,213 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yep. And that's why Canada didn't go to war with Iraq. We went into Afghanistan October of 2001 though, since that is the country that was harbouring Americas attackers. And we're still there, fighting for you.

We've got your back, America. Just not when you make **** up. lol
Canada did support the Iraq War though, by sending a naval squadron to the gulf, and offering soldiers on exchange to fight under US and British supervision. The widespread idea that that Canada stayed out of the war is patently untrue: "Canada's contribution exceeded that of all but three other countries that were formally part of the military coalition".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,261 posts, read 14,795,646 times
Reputation: 13506
I knew we had a support role, troop rotations, but not the navy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
 
18,088 posts, read 16,509,914 times
Reputation: 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I knew some Ukrainians in Yonkers, NY. 1st and second generation. They haaaaated being called Russian or asked if they were speaking Russian. Now, that may have been more from pride of the Ukraine than hatred of Russia itself. They also didn't socialize with Russian speaking Ukrainians. They were seperate social groups even if they were Americanized (English speaking).
Well yes, that is understandable. Just like now, everyone and their brother will come up to a Ukrainian/Russian, who ever and ask them if they are Russian, ask about Sochi, and ask if they are from Moscow or Sochi, it would get annoying after a short time. Before Sochi, it was "are you from Moscow or St. Pete?", as if those are the only two cities, and as if they are even from Russia or Russian (could be from any former Soviet republic, could be Ukrainian, Belarussian, etc). There are many Russians who have never stepped foot in Russia itself, they are from other former USSR republics. Same with other groups; Turks, Ukrainians, Tatars, Germans, Uzbeks, etc; people who could come from anywhere in the USSR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM
 
18,088 posts, read 16,509,914 times
Reputation: 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There are many who remember history putting Russia in a less than flattering light.

Soviet occupation of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That was a Soviet occupation, Russia being one of 15 Soviet republics. There were also plenty of Hungarians supporting the Soviets as well, the obvious being the Hungarian communist party which requested Soviet assistance.

The military divisions that launched the invasions were made up of ethnicity from all over, including two prominent commanders being Georgian and Armenian; if we are going to start blaming ethnicities.

History puts the Soviet Union in a less than flattering light. My pet peeve is how all republics but Russia (even Russia to an extent) seem to now disavow having anything to do with the USSR, and even proclaim they were victims, when in fact they were full participants in the regime. Not saying they have to embrace it, but the victim mentality and being obtuse to their participation is ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma777 View Post
your argument premise is badly flawed with that statement. It was not reasonable to believe saddam hussein was involved in 9/11, as there was no proof whatsoever. It was propaganda and disinformation disseminated by the bush admin. It had also been made clear that there were no wmds there. Much of this country was against that war. Your cavalier comment is an excellent example of why the rest of the world has a negative view of us. The uk got stuck going along with bush and therefore there were many protests and demonstrations--they were right. The iraq invasion was planned the day bush was sworn into office. Stop whitewashing the decision to attack a country that had not attacked us.
+1000
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yep. And that's why Canada didn't go to war with Iraq. We went into Afghanistan October of 2001 though, since that is the country that was harbouring Americas attackers. And we're still there, fighting for you.

We've got your back, America. Just not when you make **** up. lol
Lol Its all good love, but can't really blame you guys though
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top