Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Hmm this is weird. My spell check is definitely US English as it doesn't recognise words like recognise but it does recognise amongst, even on Chrome.
Are you absolutely certain it's American? Sounds to me like it actually is British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes I meant to say it's amongst not amonst. I've heard the term 'bedlam' but I didn't know it referred to mental hospital.
We don't use bedlam or madhouse for mental hospital but for disturbances usually, especially violent ones. Sometimes we use madhouse for chaotic situations as well. During the occupy movement, the word madhouse was thrown around a lot.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
We're talking about the average and even some above average speakers, not at the university level. Now I don't know about you but I don't usually hear too many people speaking like they are in a classroom. And, a lot of literature at university level is frequently British influenced.
Gentoo, there are words that are more likely to be used in a formal setting, and those more likely to be used in an informal setting. Words more likely to be used in a formal setting aren't any less American than those used in an informal setting. I assure you that if you open up any dictionary of American English, you will find that most of the words are somewhat obscure and more likely to be used in a formal setting. Furthermore, I'd argue that university level speakers of English do constitute "above average speakers", considering that about a quarter of the population has a bachelor's degree.

Regarding the "word" amongst, it is most certainly a word featured in American English. Perhaps not likely to be used when ordering a Big Mac at McDonald's, but a word that is very much a part of American English nonetheless.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Grosvenor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know either. In England, especially around London, I see signs with that word and I have no idea how to pronounce it. (different language that we Americans speak?)

But ask any Brit and they immediately say-- Grove-ner. So Wikipedia says it's a surname from Norman times. I still don't know how anyone gets that pronunciation out of it!
Grosvenor Square is where the US embassy is in London.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No we rent a car my love.
No, we hire a car.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
here's what I found hilarious at least with the Irish I used to work with. I once asked another co-worker for a ride home. the Irish employees got really bug eyed and told me that it's a good thing I didn't ask one of them. From what they said, if you need someone to take you somewhere in their car, you always use the term lift as in can I get a lift which we also use in the US. A ride apparently has a stronger sexual connotation in Ireland than it does in the US LOL
Same in Scotland. It took me a while to learn not to offer anyone a 'ride'. It's a lift!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
I’m a theater director and notice slight differences in British and American English in plays. I don’t mean vocabulary and slang, but subtle differences in the placement of modifiers and the use of prepositions. An actor tries to make dialogue sound as smooth and natural as possible, so slight variations in construction stand out more when spoken rather than read in a book.

However, the ubiquity of television is blurring the distinctions. For example, the dialogue on Downton Abbey sounds American to me (even though Julian Fellowes is very upper class and went to Cambridge). It’s the result of the globalization of the media.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 AM

I've been exposed to 'British' English and to uniquely Scottish terms for 14 years. Every year when I visit my family in the US I get mercilessly teased for continuing to use these words. They can't seem to believe that just because I spoke the same way as them for nearly 5 decades that I could change my vocabulary.

The words they pick on most are mobile, trousers, boot (of the car), garage (garij) for gas station, knickers, petrol, half ten (for 10:30), then there's the Scottish ones - mingin', manky, ballocks, nae bother, etc.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Are you absolutely certain it's American? Sounds to me like it actually is British.
Yes because it marks British spelling as wrong, like recognise .

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
No, we hire a car.
You are not British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World