Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's 'amongst' not 'among', and the latter form is certainly well known nowadays. I don't think 'madhouse' or 'bedlam' are exactly modern terms anywhere. In Australia, we actually also call crisps chips (or crisps), as for fries/chips: the skinny ones are fries (like the ones at McDonald's), the fat ones are chips.
That's my point postman, there are differences. We don't use amonst in the US. In fact, the word amonst is highlighted as I am typing this as it is not a recognized spelling in American English. Madhouse may be archaic in other English speaking countries but it is used here. Bedlam less often. We call fries chips only when served as fish and chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
How dare you be so rude to suggest that.

Do not dare brand my country with one rediculous swathe of culture. Not as if you flipping know anything about here.

And I don't speak hibernian English!!! I am from the north coast not flipping Cork or something!!
What's flipping? The same as bloody?
Are you one of those flipping terrorists?

Unless you are an immigrant you probably do speak Hiberno English as Ulster English is one variety of it, just like Cork English is another variety.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
pants in the US are the long garments sometimes known as trousers. Underpants are just that, or more often, underwear for men, panties for women.
Does anyone still say trousers? We learned that at school decades ago, but I have not heard or used it in ages...

Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What's flipping? The same as bloody?
Are you one of those flipping terrorists?

Unless you are an immigrant you probably do speak Hiberno English as Ulster English is one variety of it, just like Cork English is another variety.
Oh leave him alone. He's just acting the cod.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
But american english and british english are closer than mexican spanish and spanish
This is true.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Don't know about you but we say wildfire and madhouse.

Those words were used by English people ages ago but at least in Northern Ireland we don't say bedlam lol!!
Irish do seem to use more terms Americans use. I used to work with them every summer.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes it might be reflecting a change in terminology, but to think there is anyone over the age of say 25 who doesn't know they're also called 'crisps.' I think the trend is sometimes to move away with the traditional British to the American term/pronunciation. The term 'elevator' is also catch on.
What do you normally say? Lifty thing?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
No we rent a car my love.
here's what I found hilarious at least with the Irish I used to work with. I once asked another co-worker for a ride home. the Irish employees got really bug eyed and told me that it's a good thing I didn't ask one of them. From what they said, if you need someone to take you somewhere in their car, you always use the term lift as in can I get a lift which we also use in the US. A ride apparently has a stronger sexual connotation in Ireland than it does in the US LOL

Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Does anyone still say trousers? We learned that at school decades ago, but I have not heard or used it in ages...
Mostly older people and mainly in the south.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
One Irish word my family likes to use but doesn't fit into conversation so much in the US is "craic".

"Where's the craic tonight?" "That was some good craic last night"

People may look at you funny here in the states LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World