Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Generally polite. Your stereotype of Australians is akin to thinking all Americans behave like John Wayne. Australia is actually one of the most urbanised societies in the world. Spend enough time here and you'll realise we aren't that different. In fact, many Australians have the same reserved nature of the British. In terms of being outgoing/familiar we're nothing compared to say India or Brazil, in general.
Yep, you can only stretch a stereotype so far. I recently met someone from New England in the US (Boston from memory); they found Australians to be just a little too extroverted and direct for their liking...

Last edited by Richard1098; 03-07-2014 at 01:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 AM

296 posts, read 469,262 times
Quote:
And they just slam the doors in front of men? lol

I consider that 'chivalry' sexist in a way, or reverse-sexism, it's sort of suggesting weak little women aren't capable of opening doors themselves...
Treatment plan: Ease off on the feminist literature. Read too much of it and it's a sure fire way to detach your mind from all semblance of reality.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
You are right, for the most part, except maybe in parts of the southern cone of south america, people tend to be more polite but also distant than the average latin american. I wanna say the Chileans kind of remind me of the Dutch or Swedish. I'm thinking like Catalonia, northern spain and northern italy and also northern Portugal people have a more closed mindset too and are more about politeness and efficiency.

I don't know too much about the other countries you talked about here.. but in regards to Chile, have you been there or are you speaking by generalizations? One thing I have noticed is that Chile often gets a bad rap for being distant and a but more "rude" per say than other countries in Latin America because people often just visit Santiago. The saying here in Chile is "Santiago is not Chile".

To be 100% honest, I've found Chileans to be more outgoing and friendly than the people in Colombia .. and I spent time in about 5 different cities there.

I do think I'd have a much different opinion of Chile if I was in Santiago though. That's why I ask.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I personally think the United States puts a very high importance on being polite. People who are not polite are often looked down upon greatly and do not fit in well. Impolite behavior is rarely tolerated, and oftentimes if a person is seen being impolite to someone, others will chime in and tell them to stop.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I personally think the United States puts a very high importance on being polite. People who are not polite are often looked down upon greatly and do not fit in well. Impolite behavior is rarely tolerated, and oftentimes if a person is seen being impolite to someone, others will chime in and tell them to stop.
I suspect most people regardless of where they live try to be polite; its just "polite" means different things to different cultures.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 AM

277 posts, read 401,539 times
A little bit aside from the topic, but every now and again you do come across some doors that you find some women struggling to open, like large doors to some malls with pressure sealing, or those rotating doors that haven't seen greasing for decades which even weak looking men get through without any trouble.

Quote:
I consider that 'chivalry' sexist in a way, or reverse-sexism, it's sort of suggesting weak little women aren't capable of opening doors themselves...

Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
Treatment plan: Ease off on the feminist literature. Read too much of it and it's a sure fire way to detach your mind from all semblance of reality.
I realised it could sound like that. I'm actually male, btw, and am cynical most 'chivalry' when it comes to dating is either the flip-side of chauvinism, or just a way to woo a woman into bed. I just think the idea of opening doors for women specifically in this day and age is stupid.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
A little bit aside from the topic, but every now and again you do come across some doors that you find some women struggling to open, like large doors to some malls with pressure sealing, or those rotating doors that haven't seen greasing for decades which even weak looking men get through without any trouble.
Well if you see someone struggling, by all means, give them a hand. But I'm talking in general doors that even your frail 90 year old gran could open.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Most people of the world are polite by their society's rules. Your question really is, "which countries match closest to the definition of politeness I was taught."

Does this make any difference? Only to point out that too many people label other people and countries good or bad, right or wrong, moral or heathen based solely on their own view and fail to understand that in those other countries it is the foreigners who are always "wrong" not the locals.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Most people of the world are polite by their society's rules. Your question really is, "which countries match closest to the definition of politeness I was taught."

Does this make any difference? Only to point out that too many people label other people and countries good or bad, right or wrong, moral or heathen based solely on their own view and fail to understand that in those other countries it is the foreigners who are always "wrong" not the locals.
No doubt it's from a more western perspective, but I do feel there are some things which are also universal, like the golden rule, it's a bit of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World