Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 AM

8 posts, read 13,394 times

Advertisements

Some types of rude behavior are not tolerated at all in the Philippines. In the US, it's common to "go off" on someone if they **** you off. In the Philippines, this doesn't really happen. People get killed on the spot for that kind of stuff. It's considered extremely disrespectful to scream at someone. You're supposed to just let things go or solve them in a calm manner. I know it's considered disrespectful in the US too, but it's still common and not that serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM

108 posts, read 153,896 times
In america like most countries politeness if defiantly look upon on greatly, even so I have seen so many rude encounters, I was just at a market the other day and a lady was extremely rude to the women in front of her for going to slow, seriously are you really in that big of a rush.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I would think the same of Scandinavia and maybe the Netherlands.

Sorry for the long post upfrond, but i don't know how to explain this in a few words.

Actually, from what i've read, the Dutch are considdered extremely rude by a lot of Americans and English. First time i read it on the internet i was shocked. If you google "Dutch rude" you'll find a whole lot of topics of people bashing the Dutch. Some people even have build complete sites about the rude dutch.

Like someone mentioned before, my opinion is too that politeness differs from country to country. Some things that Americans or Englisch considder polite, can be rude in another country and vice versa. A lot of the American politeness is considdered fake in our county and there for unpolite or even rude and offensive.

Here's some examples from what i found on the internet:

We don't say sorry and excuse me all the time: we do, but only if we mean it. If you are in a crowded place like the Metro trying to find your way out, like the metro, you don't go say sorry to a thousand men and woman cos you just want to get out of there, everybody bumps into you and you into everybody, so why say sorry? 'Cause you aren't. But if i bump into you on my way out in a restaurant ofcourse i say sorry. it would be rude not to.

An American lady goes shopping with her Dutch friend. She tries a short tight litte dress wich is a bit too tight and the Dutch friend says "don't buy it, you look fat in that dress". The American lady is furious but all she ment was to warn her, cos since they're friends, she doesn't want her friend to embarres herself in puplic. Actually she was being polite

Also the word "friends" causes a lot of misunderstandings. I don't call someone a friend untill i know him or her for a few years. Untill that time he's an acquaintance but Americans can call you a friend the very first day you met them. I experianced that myself on a jungle trip on a holliday, and my girlfriend at the time got in a fight with an american girl cos she kept calling her "such a good friend, and so amazing, and so wonderfull". In the Netherlands that's considdered extremely fake, and therefor also kind of rude or offensive. Most people here would be offended if someone calls them a friend the first day they met.

I also think that language causes a lot of troubles. Our language is compared to other languages pretty straightforward and blund. We say it like it is, and don't beat around the bush. A lot of English and Americans are offended by it. And those comments i've read are mostly from expats that live here. I personally think it's a shame they don't take the efford to really get to know us and ty to understand what causes these misunderstandings.
What's the etiquette in the Netherlands concerning giving up your seat in public transport to elderly people or pregnant women?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Holding doors open for people because they are old and frail is different from holding a door open for a young, fit young woman just because she's got a vagina.
If you want we can write a PhD thesis on the origin of manners. For the moment it suffices to say that as a general rule women are smaller and less strong than men I'm not going to give the put the woman to a physical test on a one-to-one basis in order to evaluate her strength. I'm sure there are retired men who could punch the lights out of me, but I still apply to them the common courtesy rules regarding elderly people. I actually hold doors for men too - that is I hold the door until he gets a hold of it himself as opposed to hit him in the face with it.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you come across as a representative of the tiresome "oppressed man". When you're not complaining about holding doors, you're complaining because people don't compliment men on their legs.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
I would think the same of Scandinavia and maybe the Netherlands.

Sorry for the long post upfrond, but i don't know how to explain this in a few words.

Actually, from what i've read, the Dutch are considdered extremely rude by a lot of Americans and English. First time i read it on the internet i was shocked. If you google "Dutch rude" you'll find a whole lot of topics of people bashing the Dutch. Some people even have build complete sites about the rude dutch.

Like someone mentioned before, my opinion is too that politeness differs from country to country. Some things that Americans or Englisch considder polite, can be rude in another country and vice versa. A lot of the American politeness is considdered fake in our county and there for unpolite or even rude and offensive.

Here's some examples from what i found on the internet:

We don't say sorry and excuse me all the time: we do, but only if we mean it. If you are in a crowded place like the Metro trying to find your way out, like the metro, you don't go say sorry to a thousand men and woman cos you just want to get out of there, everybody bumps into you and you into everybody, so why say sorry? 'Cause you aren't. But if i bump into you on my way out in a restaurant ofcourse i say sorry. it would be rude not to.

An American lady goes shopping with her Dutch friend. She tries a short tight litte dress wich is a bit too tight and the Dutch friend says "don't buy it, you look fat in that dress". The American lady is furious but all she ment was to warn her, cos since they're friends, she doesn't want her friend to embarres herself in puplic. Actually she was being polite

Also the word "friends" causes a lot of misunderstandings. I don't call someone a friend untill i know him or her for a few years. Untill that time he's an acquaintance but Americans can call you a friend the very first day you met them. I experianced that myself on a jungle trip on a holliday, and my girlfriend at the time got in a fight with an american girl cos she kept calling her "such a good friend, and so amazing, and so wonderfull". In the Netherlands that's considdered extremely fake, and therefor also kind of rude or offensive. Most people here would be offended if someone calls them a friend the first day they met.

I also think that language causes a lot of troubles. Our language is compared to other languages pretty straightforward and blund. We say it like it is, and don't beat around the bush. A lot of English and Americans are offended by it. And those comments i've read are mostly from expats that live here. I personally think it's a shame they don't take the efford to really get to know us and ty to understand what causes these misunderstandings.
This a great of example of how rudeness is defined by culture. Yes, the Dutch have the reputation of being rude, and the examples offered appear extremely rude (not straightforward or blunt). But like you say, the Dutch don't consider it rude. It is all a matter of culture.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
What's the etiquette in the Netherlands concerning giving up your seat in public transport to elderly people or pregnant women?
They probably are "blunt" and "straightforward" and tell the elderly or pregnant woman to go screw herself!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Holding doors open for people because they are old and frail is different from holding a door open for a young, fit young woman just because she's got a vagina.

I hold doors open for everyone, regardless what they've got between their legs. I'm not just going to let a door slam in someone's face who is 5 steps behind me. It's not always a case of holding the handle on the outside of the door. If someone is behind me, I open it first and then hold it half way open with the push bar until they grab the door.
They say "Thanks", I say "You're welcome", and then we're on our way. I'm not sure why this is an issue.

I will note though, that a lot of women certainly seem to genuinly appreciate that there are still gentlemen in the world.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
And tell me please, what biological basis is there for opening doors for women? Do they lack hands that they cant open them for themselves?
Heavenforbid a guy treats a lady well

Hell, you should hold the door for anyone..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I will note though, that a lot of women certainly seem to genuinly appreciate that there are still gentlemen in the world.
I agree. I've yet to find a woman get upset over courteous behaviour like this.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
..........the Dutch are considdered extremely rude by a lot of Americans......
The Dutch considered rude? All of my experience with the Dutch is that they are very patient and very helpful. They can be a bit stern, but smiles come easily after the first few minutes. I thought manners were good and the people were all considerate.

The outstanding thing I noticed about Holland and Belgium, both, is how clean they are. My family's joke is that they deport you if you dare to drop a candy wrapper on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World