Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,385 times

Advertisements

white Americans talk about their European roots all the time. I always hear born and bred Americans saying "I'm Irish" "I'm Italian" "I'm German"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
i found it interesting because people in north america could care less about having ties to the UK or at least don't make a big deal about it
This is not really true of Canadians. Americans made a sustained and deliberate effort after the revolution to culturally and psychologically distance themselves from Europe as part of their process of nation building. Canadians on the other hand are very aware of our federation's roots in the French and British empires and believe they are very important parts of what make us who we are as a society today. We probably have closer connections and awareness of our European heritage then Latin America does, actually, considering our imperial history is still within living memory and more of our population is European born or second generation then in those other countries. Consider that we have Westminster style parliamentary system based of British jurisprudence and are a monarchy. Do also consider the now strengthening cultural ties of Quebec to France after centuries if cultural isolation and apathy, and that Newfoundland was ruled from London as recently as 1949.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
ive noticed that in most of the hispanic countries in the caribbean & south america till this day are so big on having ties to spain. which is weird because i usually hear of spaniards looking down on hispanics.

i found it interesting because people in north america could care less about having ties to the UK or at least don't make a big deal about it
How do you notice this?

I have never seen this sentiment before. Have you ever spent time in South America or do you have friends that are actually from these countries?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM

58 posts, read 94,702 times
I am a Spaniard, have travelled throughout Latin America and I've never felt like being looked up at, nor being looked down upon. I made some acquatainces and, some loved Spain and some were blunt and told me Spain was not their cup of tea. However, I got called Gachupin in Mexico and Gallego all over Latin America, especially Argentina and Uruguay, but most times the person didn't mean to offend me and said it in a friendly way.

In fact, I've always been under the impression English-speaking countries were very close to the UK, to a greater or lesser degree, the US being an exception.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM

261 posts, read 512,404 times
I do not think that 'go out' of the way. However, I have noticed they are more quick to claim it due to the negative stereo-type that Americans put on people with a naturally darker complexion/features. On some level it is the same with the few who are completely unable to deny their roots. In some way it sounds like "sure im brown, but I am more so European (white) than...black".

Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
ive noticed that in most of the hispanic countries in the caribbean & south america till this day are so big on having ties to spain. which is weird because i usually hear of spaniards looking down on hispanics.

Nope, sorry. Not true at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
oh shut up you are only saying this because you dont like Hispanics
.one only needs to look at your previous post to know this.
and alot of people from like to know more aboue their ancestors and motherland. like England Ireland Germany Italy Spain etc.nothing wrong with that.
Eh, we are not so interested in our heritage. That's more of an American thing. If we are not dark skinned indios, we're probably only from Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
More than Spain itself, I'd say a big chunk of people from Latam, like to share their "connection" to Europe.
For some reason Hispanics loveeeee and look up to Europe like a god continent. I've met countless people from all over the region, who would tell you about their French last name, or the great grandmother who came from Italy, or how at home they keep a family seal from Spain, among others examples.
The older members of my mother's side of the family are this way. They like to emphasize their recent German heritage a bit too much. The rest of us couldn't give a darn. I'm Puerto Rican/American. That's what I'll always be. I'll let the poor and lower middle class mestizos fight over who is whiter than the other, I'll be busy stepping on them to get ahead in life

Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 PM

284 posts, read 640,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How do you notice this?

I have never seen this sentiment before. Have you ever spent time in South America or do you have friends that are actually from these countries?
yep. i live in s.fla.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
yep. i live in s.fla.
That explains it all.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasalubong View Post
white Americans talk about their European roots all the time. I always hear born and bred Americans saying "I'm Irish" "I'm Italian" "I'm German"
Yes true, I have a friend who told me "I am German" and it was her great grandmother. And another friends who say "I am Dutch" and he is an 8% Dutch.

In Europe people usually say "I am German" even if he/she is born in Germany but their parents are Greek for example. or "German with Greek roots"

Old 03-08-2014, 10:34 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That explains it all.
Does it though? I lived in Miami, and the only thing I saw were a bunch of Latinos waving their flags. I never saw any mentions to Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World