U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM

490 posts, read 2,010,928 times

Advertisements

Which have a kind of live to work culture and which are work to live? which do you think are like that???Anybody who knows a lot about other countries and/or traveled extensively please tell me. I'm curious.

Some countries would be complicated such as China since it is so big and there are so many ethnicities living there. I heard Uyghur are more mediterranean-like.

The countries which I would say are live to work are Japan, Germany, Italy, Catalonia, (probably northern Spain), Switzerland, Austria, UK, Well actually most of east and southeast asia, especially the ones with the confucian style thinking. USA, not sure on this, I guess it would depend. I think the northeast would be very live to work, but some other places would be more relaxed in comparison. Not always. There are many people who work more than 40 or 50 hours a week and barely making ends meet.

Work to live countries...not sure maybe Southern Italy, Andalucia (southern Spain), some southeast asian countries, maybe India, probably most former Spanish colonies and Brazil.Also maybe some African countries too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM

23,269 posts, read 22,492,643 times
A lot of European countries are more work to live than average.
A lot of Asian countries are more live to work than average.
Countries like USA and Canada are sorta in between.
And I'm not sure about South American or African countries.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:31 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,506,244 times
Most people i know work typical 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

168 hours are in a week, do the math people work 40 hours a week and have 128 hours to themselves.
Not counting holidays and vacation days.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Most people i know work typical 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

168 hours are in a week, do the math people work 40 hours a week and have 128 hours to themselves.
Not counting holidays and vacation days.
Then in that case, Mexico is probably even more live to Work since Mexicans have it probably the worst in the world when it comes to the ratio between how many hours they work per year (over 2,200) and how much they make (like $10,000 USD).

You also have to consider other things such as sleep and work that gets done in house.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 PM

I'm thinking that Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, are very Work to live since they work the least amount of hours per week and are very relaxed generally.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,532,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Which have a kind of live to work culture and which are work to live? which do you think are like that???Anybody who knows a lot about other countries and/or traveled extensively please tell me. I'm curious.

Some countries would be complicated such as China since it is so big and there are so many ethnicities living there. I heard Uyghur are more mediterranean-like.

The countries which I would say are live to work are Japan, Germany, Italy, Catalonia, (probably northern Spain), Switzerland, Austria, UK, Well actually most of east and southeast asia, especially the ones with the confucian style thinking. USA, not sure on this, I guess it would depend. I think the northeast would be very live to work, but some other places would be more relaxed in comparison. Not always. There are many people who work more than 40 or 50 hours a week and barely making ends meet.

Work to live countries...not sure maybe Southern Italy, Andalucia (southern Spain), some southeast asian countries, maybe India, probably most former Spanish colonies and Brazil.Also maybe some African countries too.
That's more the South than up here. Trust me. The South is the home of the neo-Confederate fierce anti-union boss, the northeast is home to more labor unions and more liberal bosses. I think you're basing the entire Northeast on just New York City

Old 03-08-2014, 01:57 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,335,641 times
I always think of the US as a very 'live to work' culture.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I generally think about Japan as a country for living to work.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,148,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A lot of European countries are more work to live than average.
A lot of Asian countries are more live to work than average.
Countries like USA and Canada are sorta in between.
And I'm not sure about South American or African countries.
In South America it's generally work to live, but São Paulo is an exception. If you are not workaholic in São Paulo you are very likely to be regarded as lazy or even worthless. It's not difficult to find someone working 10 hours each day, including saturdays, and most of the stores are open on sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World