Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I have to agree. Along with that, we have become way to complacent and lazy. We all talk at home of things we detest about the government, world, etc., but never actually bother to do anything about it.

I was in Ukraine in December, at the beginning of the protests, and it was remarkable how well organized, thoughtful, and respectful many of the protesters were. They brought food, water, and shelter for others; made sure not to harass the police (that worked for a little while); and didn't make disrespectful signs towards others or the government. I'm not sure we're capable of that.
We have become complacent for sure. One thing to keep in mind is, whenver the news has a big breaking story, try to find the story they're distracting you from. We used to know how to protest and get change done and I think that's scares the hell out of a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Indeed, even though the first street protests were in New York, Occupy has West Coast origins because it was originally organized by Adbusters magazine, which is published out of Vancouver on the Canadian West Coast.
Didn't know that but makes sense. the west coast, minus San Diego has that "power to the people" mentality and the "take it to the streets" attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
The price of a full rack of baby-back ribs at my local BBQ joint is now $25. It used to be $21. Down with the proletariat!
That's because of George Bush and evil CEOs

Old 03-11-2014, 03:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think part of the reason is that you can get arrested for protesting without a permit. That doesn't look good on a job application. Plus, how can you protest during the weekdays if you have a job and they don't let you go.
What? people protest all the time without a permit

Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think part of the reason is that you can get arrested for protesting without a permit. That doesn't look good on a job application. Plus, how can you protest during the weekdays if you have a job and they don't let you go.
What? You need a permit to protest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World