Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 05:31 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,097 times

Advertisements

It seems that historically, direct voluntary immigration from Africa has been small and rare to many immigrant or New World countries. Historically, it seems most New World migration (arriving to US, Caribbean, Latin America) from Africa was forced, by slavery and the slave trade so that free immigration is only a recent thing.

African immigrants like Ethiopians, Nigerians and Sudanese have already become established in many countries in the world, but they are still small minorities compared to other diasporas.

In the future do you foresee African cultural influence to be stronger in countries and peoples' cultures that are receiving immigrants from there, such as Americans, Australians, Canadians, Europeans and others?

You could have say, African foods like Ethiopian injera becoming more popular alongside Chinese or Italian food or have more cultural contributions from Africa through immigration. You could have music, slang, pop culture and other things coming from Africa if the immigrants influence their host countries' culture. Do you think this will happen any time soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
My guess is that it has to do with location. We don't see African immigrants in the United States because we're so much further away. We get the Latino immigrants. Europe is the place that will see a heavier influx of immigrants from Africa.

That being said, Africans are really great people to work with. They are absolutely nothing like the African Americans that you see in the workplace today. Africans are often very friendly and hard working and oftentimes blend in more with the white workers than the black people in the US. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more immigration from Africa.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Definitely an increasing African presence in Australia. They have diverse backgrounds, with many from Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, but also Kenya, South Africa (black South Africans), Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Zambia, the Congo, among ones I've met. The area I used to live in, Footscray, had a large population of Ethiopians and East Africans, there are dozens of restaurants, grocery stories, various other stores and services catering to the community. Many also come to study and a few as skilled immigrants.

I think 'African Australians' will be the new community here, I've already met young African kids who speak with an Australian accent, recently the first Aussie rules player of African origin debuted.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
My guess is that it has to do with location. We don't see African immigrants in the United States because we're so much further away. We get the Latino immigrants. Europe is the place that will see a heavier influx of immigrants from Africa.
Although, to be fair, Asia is just as far away and it seems there are more Asian than African immigrants.

Then again, maybe because there are more Asians than Africans? Still, 1 billion is still nothing to ignore!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Although, to be fair, Asia is just as far away and it seems there are more Asian than African immigrants.

Then again, maybe because there are more Asians than Africans? Still, 1 billion is still nothing to ignore!
The only guess I could make to that would be the fact that Asians really aren't close to anybody. It's a long flight to both Europe and the United States. My guess is that if the Middle East and Central Asia did not exist, you'd see a much heavier influx of Asians to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World