Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you find more culturally interesting?
Asia 101 67.33%
Europe 49 32.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
European food is defiantly better than Asian food. Rum, vodka, and cheese burger and French fries are better than stuff like Chineese rice and sushi(really raw fish).
I love Indian food and some Chinese food, but I really don't get the hype about Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Japanese etc. Just plain boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's American food lol.
Or perhaps not.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I love Indian food and some Chinese food, but I really don't get the hype about Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Japanese etc. Just plain boring.
It may depend on if the food you ate was authentic. A friend of mine from The Netherlands was convinced he didn't like Chinese food. His experience was Chinese food in Europe, which is not stellar. Vancouver is known for different authentic Chinese cuisine. Once here, he realize what he thought was Chinese food was European style Chinese food, sort of like North American style Chinese food and not the real thing.

Same with me and Mexican. Vancouver is not known for Mexican food. We really only used to have some Tex-Mex type places. ( we have a few better Mexican places now ) When I finally went to Mexico and ate the real deal, I was blown away on how good it was. However, travelling France I went to a Mexican restaurant and what they served was a very French version of Mexican and actually quite terrible. They really didn't have a clue. I hated to think that the French, eating there actually thought that this is what Mexican food was like, just like I used to think it was Tex-Mex.

Japanese boring? There are so many styles of Japanese food, I'm not sure why you think it's boring.

My experience with Indonesian is in Amsterdam, and thought it was good, but my experience is just with the "rice table ".

Vietnamese experiences are here in Vancouver. They do seem to serve the same items over and over, but I don't know if that is just Vancouver.

Thai I also love, but again mainly only Vancouver experiences.

Indian food I love as well, but many of the creamier dishes are Pakistani.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The diversity of Asia means there is a lot of it that I find relatively uninteresting compared to the parts I do.

I am also not a total exotiphile. While I do appreciate the exotic, I have travelled to countries on every continent except Antartctica, I go to Europe far more often than any other destination. It has a lot to do with self-discovery, reinforcing my perspective on my own culture which is derived from European culture, and even comfort. Then there is the fact that I find family important and I have half of my family in Europe. Also, there are things I learn all the time about suppsedly 'familiar' cultures to an American.

Some people just need to be bewildered by utterly foreign experiences to be entertained. I guess I am not one of those people. All that said, there are a few countries (or parts of countries) in Asia on my bucket list. I would really like to visit the Levant (I would have said Syria a few years ago. Maybe I'll content myself with Israel), Hokkaido and interior mountain regions of Honshu in Japan), and Mongolia.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Really, it's no contest. Asia is several times the size of Europe, and has many more cultures within it, and much more cultural diversity. From that perspective, it's not a fair comparison.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM

89 posts, read 168,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really, it's no contest. Asia is several times the size of Europe, and has many more cultures within it, and much more cultural diversity. From that perspective, it's not a fair comparison.
Europe may not be as big but its culture and history is just as good. Some would even say better.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Europe may not be as big but its culture and history is just as good. Some would even say better.
Yes it's subjective. Europe might not compare in size/diversity, but some people prefer it.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Asia...The culture is Japan, Thailand and Malaysia was awesome.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
Europe is a bit more interesting, although Asia is interesting too, especially Eastern Asia.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
I'm not interested in whole continent, only western half of the Europe and Northeast section of Asia works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World