Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

It is a common annoyance to some who are born or raised here that many descendents of immigrants (who belong to groups that are seen as more recent arrivals) who are non-white or non-European (eg. certain Latin Americans, Asians, Middle Easterners) get asked if they are foreign or if they are not from around here, but what about European immigrants?

Few people ask Italian-Americans or German-Americans if they speak Italian or German, but it's possible for certain, more new European immigrants still get asked stuff like that, though not as much as say an Asian or Middle Eastern. Russian or Greek immigrants I have met still speak their home language and eat their traditional foods sometimes as much as Chinese or Arab ones do.

Some Eastern European immigrants seem more new, who came after the fall of the iron curtain, and they can be as new as Ethiopians or Pakistanis as communities.

In your area, if you live in an English-speaking country like the US, Canada, Australia, NZ etc. are European immigrants seen as equally foreign as other ones? Do they get annoyed with questions like "where do you come from?" or insistence that they are not as "American", "Canadian", "Australian" etc. as original settlers' descendents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
In my experience, no, not unless they speak with strong accents, there definitely is a racial component to that question. I find I get this most often from visible minority immigrants or second generation people with strong immigrant ties, though, not white people or heavily assimilated people. When I answer that I come form another province, they keep asking, and I think it's because they want to bond over immigrant heritage or something? I find it a bit strange though because I speak unaccented English, I'm half white, and my most recent immigrant family members arrived in this country 50 years ago. I have few of the trappings that would invite such questions expect for looking kind of ethnic.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It is a common annoyance to some who are born or raised here that many descendents of immigrants (who belong to groups that are seen as more recent arrivals) who are non-white or non-European (eg. certain Latin Americans, Asians, Middle Easterners) get asked if they are foreign or if they are not from around here, but what about European immigrants?

Few people ask Italian-Americans or German-Americans if they speak Italian or German, but it's possible for certain, more new European immigrants still get asked stuff like that, though not as much as say an Asian or Middle Eastern. Russian or Greek immigrants I have met still speak their home language and eat their traditional foods sometimes as much as Chinese or Arab ones do.

Some Eastern European immigrants seem more new, who came after the fall of the iron curtain, and they can be as new as Ethiopians or Pakistanis as communities.

In your area, if you live in an English-speaking country like the US, Canada, Australia, NZ etc. are European immigrants seen as equally foreign as other ones? Do they get annoyed with questions like "where do you come from?" or insistence that they are not as "American", "Canadian", "Australian" etc. as original settlers' descendents?
I don't understand why it's a problem to ask someone where they come from? I always ask people where they are from when I talk to someone with an accent.

Anytime I'm abroad, I'm asked where I'm from the second I open my mouth. I am glad to tell them where I'm from and about our streets of gold.

Hell, when I'm in the United States I get asked where I am from due to my accent.. and I'm American. I go back to my original thought, everybody just wants a reason to cry, whine or be offended. Now we can't even ask someone where they're from because it could hurt their feelings? Give me a break.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post

Yes, they get asked where they are from when they open their mouths.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I agree that if someone has a strong accent they will be asked where they originally came from.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Of course if they speak with a European accent (whatever country they're from) people might ask that.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't understand why it's a problem to ask someone where they come from? I always ask people where they are from when I talk to someone with an accent.

Anytime I'm abroad, I'm asked where I'm from the second I open my mouth. I am glad to tell them where I'm from and about our streets of gold.

Hell, when I'm in the United States I get asked where I am from due to my accent.. and I'm American. I go back to my original thought, everybody just wants a reason to cry, whine or be offended. Now we can't even ask someone where they're from because it could hurt their feelings? Give me a break.
I'm Asian Australian, as good as born here so totally assimilated (arrived at age one) nor do I know life anywhere else or another culture...I get asked where I'm from fairly frequently, I usually just say Australia, if pressed say I was born in Singapore or my parents are from Singapore/Malaysia. I don't find it offensive, although it gets repetitive and annoying, like people asking what I do for a living and not knowing what a town planner is/does (I mean isn't it pretty self-explanatory?).

Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm Asian Australian, as good as born here so totally assimilated (arrived at age one) nor do I know life anywhere else or another culture...I get asked where I'm from fairly frequently, I usually just say Australia, if pressed say I was born in Singapore or my parents are from Singapore/Malaysia. I don't find it offensive, although it gets repetitive and annoying, like people asking what I do for a living and not knowing what a town planner is/does (I mean isn't it pretty self-explanatory?).
^ So THAT's why you were intent on portraying Singaporeans and Malaysians as native English speakers. It all makes sense now.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
^ So THAT's why you were intent on portraying Singaporeans and Malaysians as native English speakers. It all makes sense now.
Well, more because English simply is more prevalent in Singapore (and a lesser extent Malaysia) NATIVELY than anywhere in Asia or Europe. And yes, my parents were more westernised than most Asian immigrants, because even back then Singapore and parts of Malaysia were like a hybrid Asian-Western sort of society in many respects. English was the only language spoken at home is the only language I speak.

Many Aussies have been to Singapore so are pretty familiar with this anyway.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times
So the impression I get is, in Anglo countries (besides the US): it is mainly non-European ancestry people that get asked this.

In the US, non-European, non-African ancestry (neither white or black) get this.

Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World