U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
 
539 posts, read 1,805,209 times
Reputation: 429

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I am speaking of the present. Only a fool would deny the shameful history you describe. That was then and this is now. And if the almost probable election of Obama proves anything, its that the bad days are long gone.


Well let's hope so. I'm a huge Obama fan. In any case, the only point I was trying to make is that it's only been 40 years since those days were alive and in full force. And I grew up in Birmingham, AL, a city that was ground zero for the Civil Rights movement. My dad and other relatives of mine who grew up in Birmingham remember it, as it happened during their generation. It's not very far removed in history IMO.


-
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 19,019,411 times
Reputation: 6827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Well let's hope so. I'm a huge Obama fan. In any case, the only point I was trying to make is that it's only been 40 years since those days were alive and in full force. And I grew up in Birmingham, AL, a city that was ground zero for the Civil Rights movement. My dad and other relatives of mine who grew up in Birmingham remember it, as it happened during their generation. It's not very far removed in history IMO.

-

Well 40 years can be a blip or a lifetime depending on your pespective. The vast majority of the population, myself included, were born after all of that. In any case, nobody of a sane nature would argue that time was characterized by fairness.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM
 
3,162 posts, read 4,203,574 times
Reputation: 4202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A Swiss friend's little sister came to visit me once in New York. Would not shut up about racism (as if the Swiss are so open minded) this or racism that. Annoyed everybody. One day she missed the 59th street stop on the D-Train and ended up on 125th in Harlem.

Came back in a panic with tears flowing.

"Oh well" was all I could muster for a response.
Describes most Europeans to a T. Love to lecture us yet deep down are used to a white society (which is makes sense)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Gulfport, MS
469 posts, read 2,634,827 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Describes most Europeans to a T. Love to lecture us yet deep down are used to a white society (which is makes sense)
I will never get over meeting some nice Hungarian boys and then hearing them casually referring to blacks as N----. I said, "Don't ever call anyone that word." I was honestly frightened that they would get stabbed.

Europeans, in my experience, tend to have this idea that they're not racist so long as they're not racist against blacks. As though racism is purely a black phenomenon! The way I've heard some Europeans talk about Gypsies, they'd be perfectly happy if there was a hunting season for them. Jews don't get it much better, which is shocking when you remember the Holocaust, but I don't think it's as emphasized in Europe as it is in the USA. They use exactly the same terminology as racist whites use against blacks in the USA -- they're dirty, they're thieving, they want to bang our pure women, they're lazy, etc.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 AM
 
Location: England/Wales
3,531 posts, read 2,335,956 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
The way I've heard some Europeans talk about Gypsies, they'd be perfectly happy if there was a hunting season for them.
No not for gypsies...Now Pikeys they`re another thing..

Urban Dictionary: pikey [see No 6 ]

But I better get back on track,,Some of my best friends? Jamaicans..

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 02-15-2008 at 01:12 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 AM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,808 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Jadel

I know for a fact a lot of AA do not like west indians specifically Jamaicans. I have seen family members and friends from Africa who have lived in UK say the same pretty negative things about Jamaican also.
There will always be negative views amongst anyone from another culture.. I hear some pretty nasty things about Africans as well, but my perception??? The ones I know are pretty damn good people so I judge not by what I hear but by what I see. There is this saying about Jamaicans that we are proud of..now take it in mind that being proud of this saying is solely based on the side of track you come from or if your perceive yourself to be one of the good ones or the bad ones...either way, there is a saying about Jamaicans that goes like this "When they're bad they're damn bad and when they're good they're damn good". Now classifying myself as one of the good ones I feel proud of that saying. I'm also not proud of the fact that there are plenty who choose to go to other countries and behave in a manner that they know they would never be able to get away with if they were back home. However sad as it may be, it is the bad ones in ALL races and culture that makes the good ones look bad as well. What gets me though is that it seems that a majority of blacks if not all are perceived negatively by most people even when proven otherwise. It still shows that the world in general still have this stigmatism about blacks that will follow us until the world comes to an end or until all races unite in reproduction and there will no longer be a black and white world but a human world.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 AM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,808 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Cracks me up when foreigners, especially black foreigners come to America and look down on African Americans. If it was not for African Americans and civil rights movement, these same foreigners would not have ANY of the opportunities they have now, period. That includes Italians, Jews, Latinos and just about any other non WASP group. Anyone from NYC should ask their parents or grand parents what store signs used to say for help wanted back in the days "Blacks, Italians and Jews need not apply". True story, so I think people coming here need to pull their head out of the dirt and show a bit more respect.

People also need to realize, not everyone in a entire race is bad or crime prone. You put ANYONE in a economic and socially disadvantaged situation and they will react poorly, generally speaking. Go to UK and you will see the south asians are the ones committing a lot of crime. You go to Australia and its the Lebanese, France Arabs and Africans heck even poor whites in southern and western states do robberies, run meth labs and do all other sorts of crazy ish. No race is perfect or immune.


Wow this really blows me.... so in reality what you are saying that black Americans are responsible for the freedom of all slaves around the world???? That's the problem that most blacks have with African-Americans, complete ignorance of history and it's movement. I suggest you read up a bit on some historical civil rights leaders such as Marcus Garvey. You may want to also read on the struggles that blacks from other countries like Haiti, Jamaica and how the fought to win their freedom. It just didn't happen in America my dear, you live in America so you are taught American history.



BBC - History - Marcus Garvey (1887 - 1940)

"The Black Man's Struggle Through the Colonization

Haiti History and Revolution (http://www.heritagekonpa.com/archives/A%20LOOK%20AT%20HAITIAN%20HISTORY%20FROM%20A%20HAI TIAN%20PERSPECTIVE.htm - broken link)

Jamaica
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,527,116 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If it was not for African Americans and civil rights movement, these same foreigners would not have ANY of the opportunities they have now, period.
Perhaps Nelson Mandela should be told of this......?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Toledo
3,856 posts, read 7,995,351 times
Reputation: 3711
I thought Wild Style was specifically referring to the US and the opportunities that non-white foreigners have here. If this is the case, then they have a very good point.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM
 
Location: America
6,993 posts, read 16,292,817 times
Reputation: 2083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Wow this really blows me.... so in reality what you are saying that black Americans are responsible for the freedom of all slaves around the world???? That's the problem that most blacks have with African-Americans, complete ignorance of history and it's movement. I suggest you read up a bit on some historical civil rights leaders such as Marcus Garvey. You may want to also read on the struggles that blacks from other countries like Haiti, Jamaica and how the fought to win their freedom. It just didn't happen in America my dear, you live in America so you are taught American history.



BBC - History - Marcus Garvey (1887 - 1940)

"The Black Man's Struggle Through the Colonization

Haiti History and Revolution (http://www.heritagekonpa.com/archives/A%20LOOK%20AT%20HAITIAN%20HISTORY%20FROM%20A%20HAI TIAN%20PERSPECTIVE.htm - broken link)

Jamaica
*sigh* I was speaking in context of AMERICA not the world (sigh) the topic is african americans right? they live in America innit?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top