Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 151 72.95%
New York 56 27.05%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

As the question says, this is specifically about how subjectively large, massive, crowded, impressive, prominent each city feels, not a general which city you prefer, or which is more multicultural.etc...

I've been to New York and will be visiting Tokyo in October, so I'm curious as to how different they'll feel.

Tokyo obviously wins in terms of population - it's metro boasts 35 million vs 22 million in New York (I only really care about metros). It is also still the city with the highest GDP in the world. On the other hand, New York is still to me the original 'big city' and still just feels huge.

In area I'm not sure which is larger (depends how you measure it), but I think the area of the 'unofficial downtown' or built-up area is more important than the metro. NY's outer 'burbs like in Long Island can be rather low-density, while Tokyo is probably more uniformly dense. Tokyo has surprising few high-rises though, considering it's size and population, while NYC has quite a few.

Like most New World cities Manhattan is based on a grid pattern, so it feels like one cohesive mass of urbanity and skyscrapers. Avenues flanked by concrete, steel and glass canyons stretch to the vanishing point in New York, while Tokyo's layout seems more akin to London, more bends and broken up into more distinct 'neighbourhoods.' Central Park is a perfect rectangle so doesn't seem to break up the city form so much.

In terms of crowds, Shibuya and Times Square can certainly be packed like sardines, and both boast tons of neon billboards. Much of Tokyo is like Times Square though.

Daytime crowds in each are probably similar, in excess of 3 million people. Manhattan has about 1.6 million, I'm not sure what area in central Tokyo would have a similar population.

Traffic in both is of course no doubt heavy, and both cities boast two of the most busy and extensive subway systems in the world. Tokyo's is busier, but New York's is so iconic and is 24/7.

I hear Tokyo is surprisingly quiet after midnight in many parts, and trains stop running soon after midnight, while the New York subway runs 24/7, 365 days a year.

New York's worldliness/globalness and multiculturalism might subjectively influence how prominent it feels although I don't think it should be part of the comparison.

Be especially interested to hear from those who have quite a bit of experience in both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM

89 posts, read 168,833 times
New York easily.

It really is the center of the planet.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
New York easily.

It really is the center of the planet.
That'll explain the smell then.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,814 times
You can go to New York and get lost in it.

The same is not true for Tokyo city

Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
You can go to New York and get lost in it.

The same is not true for Tokyo city
Lost in what sense? I would think Tokyo would be easier to get lost in because of the layout and maybe the language difference. It's actually hard to get lost in Manhattan because of the grid pattern and the numbered streets. The numbered streets ensure you always know where you are relatively speaking.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Been to both and have to say Tokyo feels bigger and is a lot easier to get lost in.
Tokyo has like 5 downtowns, NYC only 2.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
Tokyo is vast.

NY is too centralised. But it's very dirty and a crude city.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
My favorite Alpha cities in the world!

I love NYC for the nightlife and entertainment but give me Tokyo overall.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
Tokyo is bigger and has a higher population (I think).

One good thing about it is that its violent crime is much lower than New York.

Although it has been rising slightly against the homeless fellas over there, sadly.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM

296 posts, read 469,000 times
NYC is not a big city geographically. People are often surprised at how small Manhattan is. And it takes a particularly special person to get lost in the grid there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World