Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
The Brits looooove to party. There is a huge underground/alternative electronic music scene and has been for a looong time. the whole rave culture pretty much started here in the late 80s. Acid house then jungle, drum and bass. Techno and Electro are big, too. Ever heard of "The Prodigy"?, "Carl Cox"? They are huge in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world. Not Brittney Spears huge but that's just mainstream radio music. Nothing to party to. So many good Clubs in London, not much anywhere else comes close. And I have been around the block, believe me.

Check out some videos:

The Prodigy - Live At Glastonbury 2009 - YouTube

Carl Cox - YouTube
The prodigy looks good .. Tonnes better than 1 direction .. But honestly not known in Singapore. .This may change my opinion to some extent

But maybe the Americans can comment is there good underground /alternative and techno electro music scene in US ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
The Prodigy is hardly alternative/underground "Smack my b*tch up" is probably amongst the most well known electronic tracks in the world.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 AM

This kind of stuff made from British is what it takes to convince me...

Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
But in Amsterdam there were many Brits, and none of them were the stiff upper lip, chip-chip cheerio stereotype that you see in the movies. They partied hardy.

They were no less drunk, loud and obnoxious than us Americans. (As a matter of fact, it was my experience that Americans tried to play down the obnoxious stereotype, while the Brits let it all hang out.)
That's been my experience as an expat over here in China.

Most of the Americans here are loathe to live up to "ugly American" stereotypes, so while they certainly drink plenty, they seem to make a conscious effort to tone it down after a few, moreso than they would back home, while the British are more apt to start singing songs, playing games, or acting totally nuts as time goes on. Everyone has a good time, though

The most out-of-hand people I've met here so far were a guy from Nepal who started trying to pick fights with all the Americans and Europeans over the Iraq war (seriously?); a Sudanese guy and an Icelandic guy who got into fisticuffs over some perceived slight; and a Russian and Canadian girl who started throwing glasses and bottles at eachother. In all those situations, it was actually the Brits and Americans who tried to get everyone else to chill.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 AM

Started to listen to few tracks from The Prodigy which i have never listened to and i simply love it !!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 AM

326 posts, read 672,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The Prodigy is hardly alternative/underground "Smack my b*tch up" is probably amongst the most well known electronic tracks in the world.
Of course you are right. They are very well known. But not Michael Jackson or Brittney Spears well known. Most Pop radio stations would not usually play them. And as you see, the OP has not heard of them. However, their 1997 album "the fat of the land did sell 10 million copies and topped the charts in many countries including the US, UK and Germany.

I guess I was trying to say: The Brits do party hard and not only do they have a very active "underground" music scene but also acts/bands/DJs who play in front of a hundred thousand people like the Prodigy.

To the OP: The prodigy have been around for a long time. They are still playing festivals around the world and they have also been to Singapore but they were even more popular in the elate 90s.

Check out Chase&Status, also from the UK:

Chase And Status - Live From BBC Radio 1's Hackney Weekend - YouTube

Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Of course you are right. They are very well known. But not Michael Jackson or Brittney Spears well known. Most Pop radio stations would not usually play them. And as you see, the OP has not heard of them. However, their 1997 album "the fat of the land did sell 10 million copies and topped the charts in many countries including the US, UK and Germany.

I guess I was trying to say: The Brits do party hard and not only do they have a very active "underground" music scene but also acts/bands/DJs who play in front of a hundred thousand people like the Prodigy.

To the OP: The prodigy have been around for a long time. They are still playing festivals around the world and they have also been to Singapore but they were even more popular in the elate 90s.

Check out Chase&Status, also from the UK:

Chase And Status - Live From BBC Radio 1's Hackney Weekend - YouTube

For US acts of this kind of genre, i like LMFAO and Skillrex.

Ok.. I am getting more and more convinced.... British music can be high and simulating too !!!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Don't Finns start drinking pretty early anyway? As in by 4 years old usually?
On average 60% of 15-16 year olds have been drunk at least once. I guess the average in the US and Canada is similar.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times

Faithless - Insomnia | Live @ T in the Park 2010 (HQ) - YouTube

Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Started to listen to few tracks from The Prodigy which i have never listened to and i simply love it !!
They're one of my all time favorites. Their latest album, "Invaders Must Die," has some great tunes on it... "Run With The Wolves," "Invaders Must Die," and "Take Me To The Hospital" are great tracks.

FWIW they're not really "underground," in the late 90's/early 00's they were one of the highest-grossing bands in the world, and their album "The Fat Of The Land" sold over 20 million copies, as they well should have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World