Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times

Advertisements

Oh goodness, I just realised there's two of you. OK, I'll try to deal with you one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
1. Its subtropical highland, not temperate.

2. Its a semi-arid desert. The Misiones rainforest in Argentina is much more close to the amazon rainforest than the Guajira is to a fully deserts like Atacama, Sonora or Sahara. Mangrove is a very marginal ecosystem, I never understood why is often mentioned in the same group of basics and quintaessential ecosystems such as deserts, tundra, rainforest, temperate forests and plains, etc. Yeah, Argentina lacks tropical forest, i think that is the only quintaessential landscape we miss.

3. C'mon. Is a thread about landscapes. Don't sell us some salt as a true and recognizable salt pan. No.

Biodiversity=80% of ugly and sickening insects
Fair enough. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong, shame you don't show the same courtesy...side-stepping or telling one half of the argument.

1. I was wrong calling the Cundiboyacense Andean plateau temperate, but your friend here also said Colombia had a lack of subtropical ecosystems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Colombia lacks subtropical/temperate plains with grasslands
Side-stepped that well didn't you? Didn't even mention his mistake just decided to concentrate solely on mine. I wonder why?

2. As you can see I never compared the deserts, in fact I stated a clear distinction:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It (colombia) may not have a true desert like the Atacama, but it's a desert, with zero grassland apart from the oasis of Macuira and is washed by the Caribbean sea giving it another dynamic.
You on the other hand are claiming that a patchy isolated bit of Atlantic forest cut off from the rest because of utter deforestation is comparable to the mighty Amazon? Sorry, not buying - Google street view makes the notion even more laughable.

3. Well, be more specific. Do you mean salt flats? Colombia doesn't have those. But if the salt pans at Trapani and Lanzarote can be considered as such then so can the Guajira.

What happened to my other points? Still waiting on another place you can see snow 25 miles away from a tropical beach. Still waiting on your response to multi-coloured water-bodies, coral reefs, tropical beaches, paramo. No recognition of these things whatsoever - Typical.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Now for you sir.

Quote:
Biodiversity is out of the question
Understood and agreed. Forget I mentioned it.

Quote:
In case of which geographic features 'qualify', well, it's a bit subjective. Obviously the big general ecosystems form a group of its own, but then we can talk about any minor natural area or landform imaginable.
Way to side-step the argument. The fact of the matter is that there's no country in the world that has Andes, Pacific, Amazon, Savannah and Caribbean in one. In fact I'm struggling to think of a country that has a perpetually snow capped mountain range, massive tropical rainforest, is between two separate oceans, one side being in a tropical biome of extensive coral reefs and pristine waters/beaches and a tropical Savanna. Mexico I suppose may be the only one that comes close but please let me know if you think of another.

Quote:
Talking about Colombia -which I think it is geographically very diverse, but far from the first positions where USA, China, Argentina, India and Mexico
Never said it was. I would argue that it can fight for third place in the region however.

Quote:
On lowland tropical areas, they don't exist in Argentina
Well my comparison is with Argentina seeing as the poster belittling Colombia is from there. I should also add that I never did the same with Argentina.

Quote:
Finally, true temperate forests, the ones usually located towards the west coast at middle latitudes, have nothing to do with the tropical montane forests. They are very different. Places like the Andean Plateau Cundi-Boyacense may be equivalent to the Pampa de Achala and surrounding areas of Córdoba, but they are nothing like the Andean Plateau
Wasn't comparing it to THE Andean plateau, just simply referring to what it is, a predominantly flat plateau in the Andes with an average of 2,800 metres above sea level the size of Switzerland.

Quote:
Instead of telling the other 'ignorants' you better get some books first and learn about climate if you think the altitude variation of tropical gives you the same diversity as the latitude. This is what you meant when I talked about the lack of depth in the thermal range in the tropical Andes. (Look into the climate of places like La Quiaca and Río Gallegos and you will learn).
No issues with learning, studying more, just with obviously uninformed assumptions and belittling.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM

I just discovered how low lying the entire US Eastern seaboard, Mid-West & Southern states are! This despite being such a large section of the country. Even the highest peak in this huge landmass (Guadalupe peak, Texas) borders the Western United States.

Were it not for the West, (i.e. ex-Mexico & Russia), the US would be seriously geographically compromised despite being the 7th biggest country in the world just behind Australia and larger than the entire EU & Indian sub-continent.

To give a sense of height the Bogota plateau is just as high as Guadalupe peak, Texas. It's as if a city of 9 million would be placed on top of the highest peak in East/South/Mid-West US.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 08-07-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
I just discovered how low lying the entire US Eastern seaboard, Mid-West & Southern states are! This despite being such a large section of the country. Even the highest peak in this huge landmass (Guadalupe peak, Texas) borders the Western United States.

Were it not for the West, (i.e. ex-Mexico & Russia), the US would be seriously geographically compromised despite being the 7th biggest country in the world just behind Australia and larger than the entire EU & Indian sub-continent.

To give a sense of height the Bogota plateau is just as high as Guadalupe peak, Texas. It's as if a city of 9 million would be placed on top of the highest peak in East/South/Mid-West US.
the same could be said of most large countries.

If it weren't for the Canadian Rockies in the west, Canada would be a boing flat pancake. If it weren't for the mountainous regions in western China, China would be a boring flat pancake. If it weren't for the mountains in Siberia and the Caucuses, Russia would be a boring flat pancake too. And in the case of Australia, it is a flat boring pancake.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

If it weren't for the Canadian Rockies in the west, Canada would be a boing flat pancake. If it weren't for the mountainous regions in western China, China would be a boring flat pancake. If it weren't for the mountains in Siberia and the Caucuses, Russia would be a boring flat pancake too. And in the case of Australia, it is a flat boring pancake.
LMAO way to break it down. I just didn't actually realise just how much the Western United States dominated in geographic diversity.

I would argue China however, the Yellow mountains in the east towards Shanghai are striking, not to mention the Li River in southern China! Even Hong Kong has a striking topography, I don't recall anything similar in any city in the Southern US or Eastern seaboard.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
LMAO way to break it down. I just didn't actually realise just how much the Western United States dominated in geographic diversity.

I would argue China however, the Yellow mountains in the east towards Shanghai are striking, not to mention the Li River in southern China! Even Hong Kong has a striking topography, I don't recall anything similar in any city in the Southern US or Eastern seaboard.
True eastern China particularly the south is a lot more striking then the Eastern US, but the principle still stands that there is a lot more flat land than mountainous land on the planet, and so naturally large countries are going to have a lot of flat land.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:02 PM

The North is also quite striking...China is just more dispersed in geographic features.

NORTH CHINA

Hanging Temple

approaching the hanging temple by Mike Stenhouse, on Flickr

Great Wall

Great Wall Winter Vista at Jinshanling, Hebei by adventurocity, on Flickr

Badain Jaran

F_DSC5610-Nikon D800E-Nikkor 28-300mm-May Lee 廖藹淳 by May Lee 廖藹淳, on Flickr

Badain Jaran, Inner Mongolia by Kaisern Chen, on Flickr

EAST CHINA

Yellow Mountains

2016 - China - Yellow Mountain - 15 of 27 by Ted McGrath, on Flickr

SOUTH CHINA

Li River

IMG_2722 by Walter Otto, on Flickr

Hong Kong

Hong Kong fro Victoria Peak by Mario Vecchi, on Flickr

Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I think without a doubt it is. I think the only other country that would come close to the US in geographic and climate variety would be China but still a distant second.
In fact I think China has this one, the US is top 3 but other countries may be able to compete despite the hyper-visibility of US landscapes.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM

529 posts, read 556,368 times
Us is very diverse because it’s huge.
But most of the country isn’t exactly worth writing home about.
Take for example the large section from the Rockies to the Appalachians: landscape-wise is a giant piece of monotonous boring rubbish

Old 08-07-2018, 02:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Except that statement would be incorrect since there are many mountain ranges in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...e_or_territory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World