Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I find it shocking that the people in Bulgaria (EU member) are less happy than those in India, Mauritania, Djibouti, Iran, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burma, Cameroon, Kenya, Sudan, Tajikistan, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Congo, Burkina Faso, Mali, Liberia, Georgia, Nepal, Niger, Sri Lanka, Gabon, Malawi, Cambodia, Chad, Yemen and Afghanistan.

Why are Bulgarians and Hungarians so depressed?
I have a Bulgarian friend and love her to death....but she is negative and a big time complainer. I think it is cultural too.

Mexicans have it hard as well, but we dont complain as much.
That could be both good and bad, because you could easily settle for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Not all of Mexico is in a war zone as most U.S media likes you you believe. And despites of all our problems, we Mexicans -for the most part- don't whine much and take the best of each day. I guess it has to do with being a family oriented people. No matter how bad can turn, you'd always have a family and a home to come to, at the end of the day.
If countries you'd expect to be the happiest for them being developed nations, aren't on the top ten. Maybe is time to look deeper into why people who has it all, are so miserable. Even with no drug cartels or violence to keep them occupied.
It was a joke..

People here are miserable whingers. It's actually very annoying unless you are the one whinging. I moan all the time about everything, but when other people moan, it annoys me, so I moan about other people moaning. They in turn moan when I moan about their moaning, and everyone ends up moaning because everyone else is moaning.

I don't believe we have any reason to be less happy than those in Australia or Canada - our national persona is just an unhappy old man who moans all the time, and is never happy with the way things are, and finds faults in everything. We exaggerate our negatives while completely overlooking what makes our country a great place to live.

I think the rankings of Mexico and Venezuela prove that it's mind over matter.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-22-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Complaining has nothing to do with it. Finns complain about everything, and so does the French and Spanish. But after complaining, we sit by the fireplace, eat some good food and on Monday we go back to our well-paid jobs. The kids go to high-class schools and they walk around safe. And no need to worry about tomorrow, we all have state insurance and the pensions are good. All those things make us happy.

The Spaniards may have a cheerier culture and more sun, but with 30% unemployment and an uncertain future many don't have much reason to be happy.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Complaining has nothing to do with it. Finns complain about everything, and so does the French and Spanish. But after complaining, we sit by the fireplace, eat some good food and on Monday we go back to our well-paid jobs.
And so do Brits - yet Mexicans, Venezuelans, Costa Ricans and Panamanians manage to be happier and more cheerful than us despite all of that. The Irish are also happier despite having significantly higher unemployment and suffering a much deeper recession than we did. What about Germany? It has a strong, resilient economy with low unemployment, but they're still more miserable than the French and almost as unhappy as Argentinians (and we all know about Argentina's economy difficulties). Clearly it isn't all about economics or even safety, if places clearly more dangerous and not as well-off economically manage to have happier citizens.

British people are just miserable for no good reason. I'm a miserable person myself, but I know full well that I have it good. I have a stable job, a roof over my head, heating, electric, food, water (arguably the best drinking water in the world), I don't have to worry about my safety and I know if I get ill, I'll be covered by the NHS. This applies to the vast majority of Britons, and even those on low incomes know that the state have their backs.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-22-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
And so do Brits - yet Mexicans, Venezuelans and Costa Ricans manage to be happier and more cheerful than us despite all of that. The Irish are also happier despite having significantly higher unemployment and suffering a much deeper recession than we did. What about Germany? It has a strong, resilient economy with low unemployment, but they're still more miserable than the French and almost as unhappy as Argentinians (and we all know about Argentina's economy difficulties). Clearly it isn't all about economics.
I honestly can't give you a good answer to that. I don't see any reason why Brits shouldn't be happy. Maybe it has something to do with the overall functioning of the society, and the fact that all Nordics and Canada is up there, might mean that the history of a harsher climate has done people a bit hardier and aren't brought down by small misfortunes. I don't know. But clearly it's not all about economics, as the financial crisis kicked Finland and Denmark in the guts harder than people abroad know, but we are still both up there. On the other hand, both countries are famous (or notorious) of not worrying too much about the future on a personal level. On the political level it's maybe another story. (Except for the economy, the Finns are mostly worried about rising energy prices and climate change, so go figure...)

Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Apparently the sociologists conducting this study have discovered what the human race has been searching for since the dawn of time: the key to happiness. I wonder if they've also discovered the meaning of life or uncovered the fountain of youth.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I guess happiness coincides with dullness.

Well, except Mexico and Venezuela. They have drug cartels and riots to keep them occupied.
Have you met the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford? Did you know a Dominatrix will be running agianst him in the next election?
In any case, we have sex at our hockey riots.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/292263/thu...1-large570.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-22-2014 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Why do you folks in the great white north have sex with your clothes on? does it have something to do with the weather?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:54 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Yes northern europe is a utopia and always comes ahead of everyone what's new?

I think it would be more interesting to know the countries that are poorer and have more problems than the more developed problems.

Like the developing countries that are happier than Americans.

Why is that? It would be a good discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why do you folks in the great white north have sex with your clothes on? does it have something to do with the weather?

We have lots of quickies so our parts don't freeze together.

No sense taking everything off for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World