Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

There are two interesting illustrations on global migrations between 2005 and 2010 on Spiegel.de today:

For entire world regions:

http://cdn3.spiegel.de/images/image-...eryV9-qtzw.jpg

And for 60 individual countries:

http://cdn2.spiegel.de/images/image-...eryV9-irvf.jpg

Just thought it might be interesting to some people as it shows the numbers and dimensions in a very graphical way
The labels are in German, but I guess they are easy to figure out for English speakers as well.
The source country is where the lines end very close to the circle, the target country is where the lines end further away from the circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
I was surprised to see more North Americans immigrating to Southern Europe then to North or Western Europe. It seemed counter intuitive to me, unless there are large numbers of Mexicans moving to Spain.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I was surprised to see more North Americans immigrating to Southern Europe then to North or Western Europe. It seemed counter intuitive to me, unless there are large numbers of Mexicans moving to Spain.
Actually, if you compare the two illustrations you will notice that Mexico is considered part of Central America, not of North America. So no, that migration you mentioned only applies to US Americans and Canadians.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
I would doubt that.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 PM

I assume the chart for the next 5-year period (2010-2015) will look different for Southern Europe, there will be emigration lines all over the place because of the financial crisis forcing people to move abroad...

Old 03-29-2014, 07:52 AM

10,095 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Maybe Italian-Americans are moving to Italy in large numbers and not many people have noticed the trend?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times
Those statistics are clearly wrong, there is no way more Americans are migrating to Southern Europe than Northern Europe

Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Those statistics are clearly wrong, there is no way more Americans are migrating to Southern Europe than Northern Europe
Not so sure, judging from these numbers there were quite a few Americans in Spain:
Immigration to Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No idea if there still are...

I assume military personnel is not included in those statistics...

Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
If I had a good stash and was looking to retire (I'm neither, sadly :-(, I might do worse than to retire to Spain, Greece, Italy, or any Southern European countries. Warm, high standard of living, good health care, affordable...what's not to like?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
If I had a good stash and was looking to retire (I'm neither, sadly :-(, I might do worse than to retire to Spain, Greece, Italy, or any Southern European countries. Warm, high standard of living, good health care, affordable...what's not to like?
If you get a high pension from abroad, Med countries are certainly nice places to retire.

A bit off-topic, but what I always wonder is why so many Americans ask for good places to retire. As if they had no family and friends wherever they lived during their active years and could simply move anywhere they want. Most people in the world seem to retire in the very same places they have spent most of their lives.
So, when Americans consider retiring in, say, Italy, it would be the same as if I, a European, wanted to retire in Arizona. That would be a weird idea, an ocean and a continent away from everyone I know and like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World