Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM

400 posts, read 422,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Canada. Been insulted more times there than anywhere else. They do it very subtley like "such a shame you Americans don't travel much like we do, why is that?" they ask with a smarmy air of superiority.

The funny thing about Candadians is how well behaved they are in the US. You literally see loads of them up and down the East Coast in summer. Never a negative word about the US comes out of their mouth then.

Another one is Ireland. Irish can be particularly nasty about the US. I've had an Irish guy come up to me and tell me that Ireland built the US, and Americans were lazy (and this while I was in Dublin). I think what he meant was Irish immigrants helped build the US. I told him those Irish immigrants from 1860 or whenever were the ancestors of Americans today, so no it wasn't "Ireland" doing the building but Americans.

I found Spanish folks to be very polite and had a great time there. Same with the the Netherlands.
I would never say such a thing to a visitor to my country. I have observed some guys here being smug and all superior with americans and I gotta say it's pretty lame and uncouth.

The basic problem is that policies of the US governmental or corporate interests have a very direct and often negative impact on our lives while we have no 'safety valve', in that we have no political enfranchisement in the US, that would address those concerns or frustrations. If canada had had the sense to diversify our trade relationship and developed a more distinct culture (like Quebec) decades ago, then I think whatever tensions that exist between us would have abated long ago. It's interesting to me that it is in Quebec, the province that is the least dependent on the US for its cultural self-definition, that americans receive I believe the best reception in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
English people do not hate the U.S. with a passion. I have never met anybody who say they hate America. If there is any truth in what you say at all, it will be a small minority. I visit America, and I am greeted warmly by the people I speak to there.
The British are very fair minded and don't single out one nation for special hatred in fact we hate a multitude of nations right across the world.

Jamie Oliver Explains

Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
I've never met any anti-Americans in the 8 countries I've been to, but I've met people who don't like our government and I've heard it both ways, some say it's too conservative or too liberal. Salvadorians and Hondurians thought we were too liberal. Italians, Canadians, and Chinese thought we are too conservative. Most seem to hate our foreign policy. Pull out some US dollars and everyone becomes your friend...

Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM

131 posts, read 168,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've never met any anti-Americans in the 8 countries I've been to, but I've met people who don't like our government and I've heard it both ways, some say it's too conservative or too liberal. Salvadorians and Hondurians thought we were too liberal. Italians, Canadians, and Chinese thought we are too conservative. Most seem to hate our foreign policy. Pull out some US dollars and everyone becomes your friend...
You sure they were Italian and Chinnese lol, what a liberal government China has

Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
France, Australia, and the UK all hate the U.S. with a burning passion, and we hate all of them back.
What a strange thing to say.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
What a strange thing to say.
Lol sort of makes you wonder what reality some people are living in

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM

313 posts, read 531,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I hear more negative than positive comments about the US from foreigners. Perhaps people on other continents hold negative views too, but the most vocal & in your face complainers are those from Europe. I find them extremely rude when visiting here, yet begin entitled to a warm welcome as guests. All they do is complain about American culture. If you ask them why the hell they bothered to visit, they say it's for the "nature" and then they go to Vegas & Disneyland :roll eyes: . The second most obnoxious complainers when visiting the US are Australians.
I love travelling in America, even if it has it's downsides. I didn't complain to anyone when I was there though, well maybe about some rude people there, but many people were really nice as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World