Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,520,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I think Canada would be happy if Quebec leave, but I don't think Quebec will leave because they need all the anglo Canadian money that they get from the rest of anglo Canada
No way. Only angry uneducated Ontarians seem to want Quebec to **** off. I would be really bummed about a Quebec departure. It's by far the most interesting province in terms of history and having unique culture, and surely a huge loss for Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Kurdistan is an interesting situation, as it involves at least three different countries, and if it did indeed happen, would likely only be in one (certainly not Turkey, the most stable and able to quell any insurrection). They currently are being pretty much left to themselves in northern Iraq, but Al Queda has targeted them in northern Syria (using the chaos of the war for cover) due to their views on male/female equality.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,063,889 times
I would assume that most countries in which healthy sovereignty movements exist already have conceded much control to appease the population. Places like Quebec and Scotland come to mind as areas where the people literally have it as good as they will ever get in their present situation, better than people in the rest of the country overall. This is where the resentment comes in.

In both cases, it would spell economic disaster if they ever succeeded in achieving statehood because all those goodies they are used to getting would be sliced away in a possible austerity move. Taxes would skyrocket because the revenue base is now a fraction of what it was.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I would assume that most countries in which healthy sovereignty movements exist already have conceded much control to appease the population. Places like Quebec and Scotland come to mind as areas where the people literally have it as good as they will ever get in their present situation, better than people in the rest of the country overall. This is where the resentment comes in.

In both cases, it would spell economic disaster if they ever succeeded in achieving statehood because all those goodies they are used to getting would be sliced away in a possible austerity move. Taxes would skyrocket because the revenue base is now a fraction of what it was.
Depends on the situation and territory. in California's case, 8 billion dollars paid in federal taxes is never returned here as CA is a donor state like several others. If it became a nation, that 8 billion would stay here.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM

2,691 posts, read 3,171,779 times
None of the 50 states are going to secede, and, even if they wanted to, Washington would never allow them to. That was one of the points of the Civil War; the Union must be maintained.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
None of the 50 states are going to secede, and, even if they wanted to, Washington would never allow them to. That was one of the points of the Civil War; the Union must be maintained.
The civil war solved only the issues of the civil war. Washington could not use force to stop it because if the civil war did decide anything as so many like to claim, it's that the federal government can no longer send the military into a state's territory. the only exception to the is if a state has failed to protect the constitutional rights of it's citizens. the federal government has no authority otherwise over other state affairs.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I believe California and Texas were the only states to be briefly republics at one point.
Vermont was too.

Vermont Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,455,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I think Canada would be happy if Quebec leave, but I don't think Quebec will leave because they need all the anglo Canadian money that they get from the rest of anglo Canada
Wrong. During the last referendum in 1995, people all over Canada agreed with a popular bumper sticker that read
" My Canada includes Quebec ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World