Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is English when you travel as a tourist?
Extremely importat 5 11.90%
Important 10 23.81%
Somewhat important 11 26.19%
Not important 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,521,947 times

Advertisements

I chose " somewhat important " but it really isn't a factor when choosing a destination.
I usually do some research on how much I need to know in a language to get by….except once!
I was much younger and for some stupid reason I didn't even think of learning some basic German words. Which would of been easier if I had a German dictionary ( pre - internet ).
My first meal in a restaurant. No English on the menu, no French ( which I don't speak but am very familiar with and can at least read a menu ) or any pictures.
Server didn't speak English so I just pointed to an item on the menu that looked like a main and hoped for the best.
Thank god it was chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 PM

26,851 posts, read 37,964,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I chose " somewhat important " but it really isn't a factor when choosing a destination.
I usually do some research on how much I need to know in a language to get by….except once!
I was much younger and for some stupid reason I didn't even think of learning some basic German words. Which would of been easier if I had a German dictionary ( pre - internet ).
My first meal in a restaurant. No English on the menu, no French ( which I don't speak but am very familiar with and can at least read a menu ) or any pictures.
Server didn't speak English so I just pointed to an item on the menu that looked like a main and hoped for the best.
Thank god it was chicken.
Reminds me of the first time I went to Germany and knew next to no German words at the time, and was similarly confused with food.

I saw the word "schinken" and thought it was chicken but to my surprise they brought me ham!

And before I mastered my Spanish pronunciation I once asked for "zumo de naraña" in front of a bunch of people instead of "zumo de naranja". Everyone got a good laugh as I had asked for spider juice instead of orange juice!

Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,774,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Reminds me of the first time I went to Germany and knew next to no German words at the time, and was similarly confused with food.

I saw the word "schinken" and thought it was chicken but to my surprise they brought me ham!

And before I mastered my Spanish pronunciation I once asked for "zumo de naraña" in front of a bunch of people instead of "zumo de naranja". Everyone got a good laugh as I had asked for spider juice instead of orange juice!
LOL damn Spaniards for having the word for orange sound so much like the word for spider.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,859,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So what? I learned English exactly for that reason: To be able to communicate abroad...
Yes but who cares.

You need Austrian.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,859,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
You should be more positive about it because you know that in many countries people are not fluent in English, they don't have to do it either.

Most of monolingual English speakers think in that way, it's paradojic. I dont know if it is your situation.
I don't want to sound selfish but really I don't need to learn any foreign languages.
I only visit countries that have a high standard of English and if not I won't visit. Usually that is a very far away and poor country that I won't visit anyway.

Language is not my main decision more development level. It will be considered though.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,735,516 times
While English can be beneficial since it is one of the most spoken/understood languages in the world, nowadays even if I am trying to communicate with someone who does not speak English and if I am not completely fluent in their language, I can simply just download a language conversion app or use Google Translate on my smartphone or tablet and translate it into what ever language I need to use to get my point across.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,200,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
It does help sometimes, but not that important, it is more fun trying to understand and trying to be understood. Sometimes people want to try their English language skills out. I found in Indonesia last year lot of tour guides learning Japanese.
Funniest thing that I experienced was in Thailand when a Japanese tourist was flapping his arms and clucking like a chicken to get his point across. It was so funny and I ordered whatever he did. LOL...

Yeah, it's not that difficult to get some points across. It took less than half a minute in Korea of gesturing (as if breathing fire like a dragon) to ask the restaurant to lower the spiciness level of what we ordered because the people I was with find Korean food too spicy for them :-)

Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,774,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Funniest thing that I experienced was in Thailand when a Japanese tourist was flapping his arms and clucking like a chicken to get his point across. It was so funny and I ordered whatever he did. LOL...

Yeah, it's not that difficult to get some points across. It took less than half a minute in Korea of gesturing (as if breathing fire like a dragon) to ask the restaurant to lower the spiciness level of what we ordered because the people I was with find Korean food too spicy for them :-)
LOL...yes these moments are always good for a laugh/story.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,523,921 times
Important. When I'm travelling I try to speak the native language of the country if I can speak it, but when I forget the word, I say it in English.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,338,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I only visit countries that have a high standard of English and if not I won't visit. Usually that is a very far away and poor country that I won't visit anyway.

Language is not my main decision more development level. It will be considered though.
It's not like Northern Ireland is super rich either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World