Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is English when you travel as a tourist?
Extremely importat 5 11.90%
Important 10 23.81%
Somewhat important 11 26.19%
Not important 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,668,900 times

Advertisements

Obviously it depends on what country I'm in. I can handle most simple things in Spanish, French and German, and there is always somebody who can speak one of those languages, if not English.

I spent three weeks traveling in a remote part of China, where I met only one other traveler (Japanese) and two Chinese who could speak English, the rest was all a smattering of Chinese, sign and body language, and pointing to things in a guide book. I never found it to be a problem, but I attribute that to the hospitable willingness of the Chinese to cheerfully accommodate me.

When you sit down in a restaurant, you don't need to know how to tell people that you want food, that is taken for granted, and you will be invited into the kitchen to point to things you want, if the staff gets tired of trying to communicate with you verbally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,699,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Obviously it depends on what country I'm in. I can handle most simple things in Spanish, French and German, and there is always somebody who can speak one of those languages, if not English.

I spent three weeks traveling in a remote part of China, where I met only one other traveler (Japanese) and two Chinese who could speak English, the rest was all a smattering of Chinese, sign and body language, and pointing to things in a guide book. I never found it to be a problem, but I attribute that to the hospitable willingness of the Chinese to cheerfully accommodate me.

When you sit down in a restaurant, you don't need to know how to tell people that you want food, that is taken for granted, and you will be invited into the kitchen to point to things you want, if the staff gets tired of trying to communicate with you verbally.
Yes I've never really had a problem ordering what I wanted in a restaurant except, ironically enough, at a McDonald's in China where I attempted a combination of phrases (which the server didn't seem to understand), gesturing and pointing, but the message got across in the end lol.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

18,497 posts, read 15,401,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I live in a 4,000 square feet house..
Yes, but is it a NICE house?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,806,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
If you can maintain a high standard of living in one economically deprived region of Europe, you can do so in another one as well...

I just thought it's funny that a guy from Northern Ireland doesn't like to travel to Spain and Southern France, because those regions are not up to his standards
Well um I have been to those areas and my experience is that even the council estate houses here are a better standard than the houses there. Especially rural Spain.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It depends where you are going. In Europe, they have other languages not just English. When my husband and I went to Spain, we both tried to speak Spanish. When we went to France, my husband spoke French, so it depends where you are going. It is good with Europeans because they are usually multilingual so they can usually use the European languages they know when they are travelling just within Europe without having to speak English.
It never works they just start speaking English.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Wait what? I thought you were in your early 20s?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, but is it a NICE house?
Its ok.

My dad designed it so it is quite old looking but if we had our way we would gut it out and totally update it.

My room is an ensuite and it has been updated but there are some rooms which are hideous. I suppose its not old, old, but it is a bit tacky. (1990s)

Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,699,355 times
I often wonder why you even post here, Mac15, since you seem so closed minded about other cultures. Is it merely to reaffirm the superiority of Anglo-Western culture in your mind?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,879,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I often wonder why you even post here, Mac15, since you seem so closed minded about other cultures. Is it merely to reaffirm the superiority of Anglo-Western culture in your mind?
Happy him, happy all.
He doesn't realise how much he is losing but, after all, "Live and let live".

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Happy him, happy all.
He doesn't realise how much he is losing but, after all, "Live and let live".
I am not losing anything.

I do not need to experience other cultures. Not everyone enjoys other cultures. I have been to Spain and France many times including Rome. I hated Rome so much. It was fascinating but not my kind of history.

Boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World