Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,556 posts, read 20,835,764 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Homicide rates do not equate to danger. There is no p lace where homicides constitute as many as one percent of the violent crimes against people, and whether that percent is 0.2% or 0.8% has an undetectable effect, statistically, on the prevalence of violent crime. Furthermore, in almost every country, more people are harmed by traffic and other environmental accidents or communicable diseases than by the acts of criminals, which is what really makes a place "dangerous". You do not want to get malaria, or be involved in a bus plunge.

In almost every country, the homicide rate is vanishingly close to zero, except for victims who are socially acquainted with their murderers, so if you don't hang out with murderers, your risk is virtually zero in even the worst countries.

If it is necessary every few weeks for a new poster to start a new thread quoting homicide rates, please call it that, and not equate it with the danger associated with being in the country.

Having said that, notice how much lower the murder rate is in Muslim countries, than in those where Christians have inflicted their cultural values.
Hmmm, it still plays a role. Not just homicide but crime in general. I mean I was the victim of crime in Las Vegas and China. In all my years living in Australia i've never been personally a victim of that sort of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
 
125 posts, read 206,639 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, it still plays a role. Not just homicide but crime in general. I mean I was the victim of crime in Las Vegas and China. In all my years living in Australia i've never been personally a victim of that sort of crime.
Too bad most Aboriginal women in Australia are not as lucky.
Violence Against Aboriginal Women in Australia: Possibilities for Redress Within the International Human Rights Framework
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM
 
2,661 posts, read 5,481,891 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
Violence against Aboriginal women is commited by Aboriginal men. The situation with Aboriginals is constantly on the Agenda in Australia. Millions of dollars are spent trying to improve the lives of the indigenous Australians.

Yes it is too bad that all sections of society aren't the same but the Aboriginal community have problems that only they can solve despite whatever resources are used to address the problem. The solution has to come from the Aboriginal people themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
 
125 posts, read 206,639 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Violence against Aboriginal women is commited by Aboriginal men. The situation with Aboriginals is constantly on the Agenda in Australia. Millions of dollars are spent trying to improve the lives of the indigenous Australians. .
These people were victims of oppression, and planned and organized extinction by European of criminal stock.

They were captured and put in camps or reservations, the study adds:
"This forced immobility resulted in a dependency on European food and welfare rations for survival. 35 With their cultural integrity completely undermined, Aborigines become increasingly vulnerable to European influences, in particular alcohol. 36

For women, in addition to the ravages on their communities, colonization deprived them of their status and role within their respective communities. 37 Their status as women also made them more vulnerable to sexual exploitation from the settlers. Most importantly though, the imposition of a highly patriarchal European legal and value system ensured that Aboriginal women would be relegated to second class status within their communities".

Violence Against Aboriginal Women in Australia: Possibilities for Redress Within the International Human Rights Framework

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-11-2014 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Reputation: 36644
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, it still plays a role. Not just homicide but crime in general. I mean I was the victim of crime in Las Vegas and China. In all my years living in Australia i've never been personally a victim of that sort of crime.

Well, there you go. There's proof. They are safe because YOU have never been a victim of crime.

I've been in 44 of the countries with homicide rates above 10 (lived in five of them), and in 13 of the 20 "most dangerous" -- and never been a victim of "crime in general" any of them.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-10-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
 
318 posts, read 640,113 times
Reputation: 191
There are some cities in the U.S like New Orleans and Detroit for example where if they were their own country, they would easily be ranked among the world's most dangerous countries.

There are some 3rd world countries where I would feel safer walking at night than I would in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
 
2,661 posts, read 5,481,891 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
These people were victims of oppression, and planned and organized extinction by European of criminal stock.

They were captured and put in camps or reservations, the study adds:
"This forced immobility resulted in a dependency on European food and welfare rations for survival. 35 With their cultural integrity completely undermined, Aborigines become increasingly vulnerable to European influences, in particular alcohol. 36

For women, in addition to the ravages on their communities, colonization deprived them of their status and role within their respective communities. 37 Their status as women also made them more vulnerable to sexual exploitation from the settlers. Most importantly though, the imposition of a highly patriarchal European legal and value system ensured that Aboriginal women would be relegated to second class status within their communities".

Violence Against Aboriginal Women in Australia: Possibilities for Redress Within the International Human Rights Framework
Yes they have had a bad deal in the past. There are similarities to my own Irish background and other people like Native Americans etc. There has been huge amounts of money spent on the Aboriginal population but as I've stated the best input is from the Aboriginal people themselves like their elders. People all have choices in their lifestyle. A lot of Aboriginal people in the suburbs of Perth live very destructive lifestyles and make bad choices for their children. This is the way it is. People have to decide what they want to do with their lives and no amount of programs or money is going to change this fact.

There is a whole department of government dedicated to Aboriginal affairs. The situation is not due to a lack of resources. There also needs to be an honest discussion about the subject. The past is something you learn from but shouldn't be used as a crutch to stop you moving forward.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM
 
38 posts, read 118,311 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
There are at least two completely safe (not counting french guiana because they use statistics for france) countries in S.A; Chile & Uruguay

Africa has also a few...correction...one "safe" country...that is botswana
I like the map. More reliable than homicide statistics if you ask me which aren't perfect although sometimes a good comparison and corruption levels need to be taken into consideration. With official murder stats you do get silliness with certain countries being ranked ahead of obviously more violent ones such as Jamaica with Haiti or South Africa with Nigeria, Colombia or Mexico. Then you've got the Syria's and Somalia's missing which are the de facto 1 and 2 in the world.

Current travel advisories from the US government listed alphabetically, this could be the same as your map:

Afghanistan
Algeria
Burundi
Central African Republic
Chad
Colombia
Democratic Republic of the Congo
El Salvador
Eritrea
Haiti
Honduras
Iran
Iraq
Israel, The West Bank and Gaza
Kenya
Lebanon
Libya
Mali
Mauritania
Mexico
Niger
Nigeria
North Korea
Pakistan
Philippines
Republic of South Sudan
Saudi Arabia
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Ukraine
Venezuela
Yemen

There's a couple of weird ones in there. Ukraine is an uncertain situation and Saudi Arabia is listed probably because a sudden terror attack can occur in a normally safe area. Virtually all the others are self-explanatory.

Just to explain the criteria on the site:

"We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years."

Alerts and Warnings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
 
1,017 posts, read 2,501,072 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
There are some cities in the U.S like New Orleans and Detroit for example where if they were their own country, they would easily be ranked among the world's most dangerous countries.

There are some 3rd world countries where I would feel safer walking at night than I would in Detroit.

Detroit and New Orleans don't compare to some of the more dangerous world cities.

List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detroit has 1/3 the murder rate of the most dangerous world city of San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Detroit and New Orleans don't compare to some of the more dangerous world cities.

List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detroit has 1/3 the murder rate of the most dangerous world city of San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
But the city of New Orleans still have two times more murders than the country of Sweden.

58 murders per 100,000 inhabitants is a terrifying number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top