Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If You Had No Other Choice...
Poor Christian Countries 28 93.33%
Poor Islamic Countries 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times

Advertisements

Christian OR Islamic majority countries?

*At least 50.1% of population is Christian/Muslim
*GDP (PPP) Per Capita is under $4,000

Christian:

Haiti
Liberia
Ghana
Sao Tome and Principe
Cameroon
C.A.R.
South Sudan
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Kenya
Uganda
Rwanda
Burundi
Congo DR
Zambia
Malawi
Mozambique
Zimbabwe
Lesotho
Papua New Guinea
Solomon Islands

Islamic:

Mauritania
Gambia
Senegal
Mali
Guinea
Sierra Leone
Burkina Faso
Niger
Chad
Sudan
Djibouti
Somalia
Comoros
Yemen
Palestine
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Bangladesh

I wanted to make a list of poor non-religious countries as well but the only option was North Korea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 AM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I wanted to make a list of poor non-religious countries as well but the only option was North Korea
I think North Korea is the only state atheist nation that's managed to survive to this day.

Politically atheist nations were a lot more common around the early to mid 20th century, but they spent much of that time murdering their own people. Not exactly a recipe for cultural success.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Wait, is Kenya all that poor I thought they had a fast improving economy.

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2014/...conomy-status/

Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Basically with a few exceptions this seems to be North vs Southern Africa.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Wait, is Kenya all that poor I thought they had a fast improving economy.

Ventures Africa | Kenya Poised For Middle-Income Economy Status
Yes Kenya is poor, more poor than half of the countries i listed.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Yes Kenya is poor, more poor than half of the countries i listed.
Kenya has a improving economy and in the reason Kenya is "rich" Somalia, Chad etc are poorer than Kenya..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Interesting, Palestine ranks the highest in the HDI of all countries i listed
Niger and DR Congo rank lowest.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've been in 13 of the countries on your Christian list, and eleven on your Muslim list. There really isn't any difference. I would have no problem living in any of them.

The Islamic countries on your list do not include any of the theocracies, in which Islam is virtually universal and the government, courts, etc. are strictly Koranic in their administration. The "poor" Islamic countries are Islamic in name only, many barely have a Muslim majority, and the only difference in the day to day lives of the people is that they casually observe the Muslim faith and traditions, but their lives aren't much different from the Christians in the same country. I don't think there is a single country on your list in which a person going to court would be subjected to Islamic law instead of pretty much the same constitutional civil law that is in force in nearly every country in the world. (Mauritania would be an exception, it is, these days, a sort of an Islamic North Korea, and outside the Muslim mainstream, too.)

For example, going from Liberia (Christian) into Sierra Leone (Islamic), it is like going from Georgia into Alabama. You wouldn't even be able to tell that you had gone from one country to another, except that you got your passport stamped. Which I have done, and I was not even aware (to this day) that Sierra Leone is Islamic.

You know, a great majority of the people in the world do not have their basic day to day lives influenced very much by their religion. It might reflect on a few of the things in their family diet, or where they go for their worship, or the names they give their children, but get into an African bus, and walk down the aisle and try to point out the Christians and the Muslims on the bus. There might be a few devout ones carrying a prayer rug or wearing a cross, but otherwise, they all live their lives pretty much the same way, and ride the same buses to the same destinations.

Would you consider Mexico to be a Christian country? Would it surprise you to know that in Mexico, the church is not allowed to own any property nor to administer any schools -- no more so than in North Korea? So what makes Mexico a "Christian country"? Nothing except the fact that most Mexicans consider themselves to be Christians, but that changes nothing about what it is like to live there among them, nor how the government and courts and public administration are conducted..

Last edited by jtur88; 04-14-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM

21 Poorest Christian Countries:
415 million pop.

21 Poorest Islamic Countries:
590 million pop.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Christian!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World