Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

The definition that google brought up: 'excessively concerned with material possessions; money-oriented.'

By materialistic I also mean being concerned with money and basing one's life/ambitions around money at the expense (no pun intended lol) of thing of 'non-material' value such as human relationships, spiritual development, a harmony with nature.

Before anyone preaches to me about how in poor countries they have to work to survive and they can't afford to think this way, even in those countries one sees a variation. I don't consider things like food material per se, since they're necessary, except when they become more than about surviving or a status symbol in themselves. Anyway, even in countries where the average income is lower like India or China the middle and upper class SEEMS very materialistic.

These are just representative examples, obviously not listing every country in that category:

I'd say:

Top tier (materialism dominates life):

United States
Canada
China
South Korea
Vietnam
Thailand
Singapore
United Arab Emirates
Russia
Australia

Second tier (materialism a major force but also a lot of non-material things valued):

United Kingdom
France
Italy
Spain
Germany
Sweden
Romania
Iran
Japan
Malaysia
New Zealand
Chile

Third tier (a fairly equal balance between material/ T and non-material things valued, but non-material things strong part of life):

Portugal
Greece
India
Mexico
Brazil
Kazakhstan
Cambodia
Egypt
Morocco
Philippines
South Africa
Fiji

Fourth tier (while of course money is important to survival, there is not a great overt desire to acquire material possessions, although of course in many cases this is not possible. or otherwise areas where spirituality/traditional lifestyles are strong):

Mongolia
Nepal
Bhutan
western China
Laos
Sudan
Ethiopia
Zaire
Papua New Guinea
Vanuatu

Of course it's not always the case that poor countries = less materialism but of course there's a correlation...and of course rich countries will definitely appear/tend to be moreso since people have more disposable income.

My list is no doubt off-base in some ways, as this is a subjective thing.

This thread discussion isn't about any scientific ranking or what's right or wrong, but a discussion based merely on opinions. Feel free to make your own list/comparisons or dispute/discuss mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Only an hour after Thanksgiving we beat the crap out of each other to get a new flat screen T.V so i guess we are the winner(loser?) here.

obvious over exaggeration but black friday is insane

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Hmm. I don't personally know anyone who is obsessed with "stuff", but neither my family nor my friends are really materialistic people.

I'd say your lists are probably accurate, except for some reason I want the UK in teir 1. Japan too.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hmm. I don't personally know anyone who is obsessed with "stuff", but neither my family nor my friends are really materialistic people.

I'd say your lists are probably accurate, except for some reason I want the UK in teir 1. Japan too.
I guess i put them in no 2 because they seem to have more of an appreciation of culture (although plenty in the UK and Japan do not). Japan still has a lot of cultural traditions that seem to outweigh pure monetary gain, although maybe it's a romanticised view. Yes, there would be a good argument for putting them in no 1 too, or 2 respectively.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I guess i put them in no 2 because they seem to have more of an appreciation of culture (although plenty in the UK and Japan do not). Japan still has a lot of cultural traditions that seem to outweigh pure monetary gain, although maybe it's a romanticised view. Yes, there would be a good argument for putting them in no 1 too, or 2 respectively.

I agree. That's why I was on the fence with those two.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Brazilian culture should be in the second tier. They are a super materialistic culture. There is an obsession with having certain name brand items and they fork over tons of money to have the latest iPhone, Nike's, etc...they place a lot of importance on this like the Koreans and the Japanese.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Filipinos are a bit materialistic. The rich and the middle class are so brand conscious. They always prefer branded stuffs especially American brands.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 AM

10,642 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Countries that should be in Tier 1...

USA
Monaco
Kuwait
Qatar
UAE
Russia
Singapore
China
Hong Kong
Taiwan
South Korea
Japan

Old 03-13-2014, 12:15 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
The most materialistic countries would be China, Japan, South Korea... most Asian countries are very materialistic, that's why LV, Gucci etc are so big there.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
I have no objections to my country being ranked in tier 1.
There is no dispute about that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World