Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country would you rather live in?
USA 39 73.58%
Japan 14 26.42%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:55 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times

Advertisements

Which country would you rather live in and why? In 2020 not only is Japan better, but the gap in quality of life between the two is widening. Japan is improving while America is going further downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 09:18 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I am not interested in living in a small apartment, driving a small car and working 15 hours a day. So, living in Japan is out for me.

I'm sure it is a nice country to visit though.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Just noticed the other day: unemployment in America - >11%, Japan - 2.6%, and I'm not even taking into account the worst month of the pandemic April (14% unemployment in the US). So there you go with one obvious advantage of Japan atm.

Unemployment aside Japan wins over mostly anyone for me with only one major concern...something that hasn't happened in Tokyo since 1923 if I'm not mistaken and everyone who isn't retarded can guess what this is, but if they get hit by say 6/Richter or so with little damage then it will be like paradise since "energy" accumulates during long periods without a single serious quake (I am excluding the one in Kobe in 1995 since it wasn't part of the same fault as Tokyo or maybe it is i'm no expert anyway).

Old 07-13-2020, 09:29 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Which country would you rather live in and why? In 2020 not only is Japan better, but the gap in quality of life between the two is widening. Japan is improving while America is going further downhill.
Yep, USA diversity and tribalization instigated by further by BLM and the media is destroying the QOL in America...Idiocracy at play. Japan's one race and culture is now far superior.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:53 AM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
They're very different countries, and since this is about living in a place for an individual, then it's going to be USA for me. I don't speak Japanese fluently, and while I'd look forward to learning, I do recognize that it's going to be a hard slog. I also have a lot more friends living in the US. That being said, seeing how terribly the pandemic was bungled compared to other developed countries is pretty discouraging.

A harder one for me personally to decide among would be US, Canada, and Taiwan, but I'm sticking stateside for the foreseeable future.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 AM

330 posts, read 294,406 times
American here and I have traveled to Japan multiple times(Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Yokohama, Nara)

While I love the cleanness, the culture, the food and the infrastructure of Japan very much and Japan has always been one of my favorite countries to visit, I would much rather live in the States.

Visiting and living in Japan are quite different experiences and living in Japan as a Gaijin can be very difficult.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
American here and I have traveled to Japan multiple times(Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Yokohama, Nara)

While I love the cleanness, the culture, the food and the infrastructure of Japan very much and Japan has always been one of my favorite countries to visit, I would much rather live in the States.

Visiting and living in Japan are quite different experiences and living in Japan as a Gaijin can be very difficult.
Judging by friends who are gaijin living there, it seems like it can also be very fun and rewarding. However, the people who I do know living there were all already interested in Japanese culture to begin with and can speak the language very fluently as well as read and write fairly well. I'd be like an elementary school level with a lot more kanji memorized but with difficulty pronouncing some of them, and I'd reckon it'd take a while to step it up into fully functioning adult.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-13-2020 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I've heard living in Japan as a Gaijin can be difficult. How about others? In particular Asia.. Thai, Filipino, Koreans, etc...

Are they treated similar to Gaijin?

Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I've heard living in Japan as a Gaijin can be difficult. How about others? In particular Asia.. Thai, Filipino, Koreans, etc...

Are they treated similar to Gaijin?
The difference with Thailand and the Philippines is that they, especially the Philippines, generally have more wide usage of English and are far, far cheaper and their governments overall generally much more actively try to get foreigners from wealthier nations to move there (and especially retire there) including foreigners from South Korea and Japan.

South Korea is more like Japan where it's a developed, wealthy nation that's not as actively trying to get foreign tourism and direct investment dollars and their level of English proficiency is generally lower since they have less of an impetus to learn it. Both South Korea and Japan have a cottage industry of sorts where one can go to certain institutions in the Philippines to work on developing their English proficiency for a much cheaper cost than going to the usual wealthy Anglophone countries.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:29 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default USA vs. Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I am a big fan of Japanese culture, especially the kaiju movies and to a lesser extent anime. Plus the Japanese people themselves are attractive and the country seems to be so much better run then the horrible politics in the State.

But the problem is one, the Japanese islands are so crowded, 125+ million living in an area just the size of the US state of Montana. And two, I am not ethnic Japanese and I am not sure how I would be treated there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World