Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoreko View Post
Maybe they want to escape the dreary English cold. Canada can be sunny and warm in parts but its winters are still ferocious. Now most large capital cities in Aus and NZ have winters, some can be chilly, but they aren't as cold as England or Canada.
I believe that's the reason. I also notice on House Hunters International[on HGTV] that many Brits also move to Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:09 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes and no. Summer is reasonably similar between the two, but a gap opens up over the rest of the year. Different in regards to sunshine as well, with higher hours in NZ and a stronger sun, plus the percentage of sunshine doesn't change throughout the year in NZ - so no grey season.

UK immigrants here don't make the climates sound similar, but it would certainly be a more familiar to them than the Australian climate
I think a British winter is more similar to a New Zealand winter than it is to a Canadian winter though? The UK is nothing like as cold as Canada (in the wintertime)

Old 08-28-2015, 12:12 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think a British winter is more similar to a New Zealand winter than it is to a Canadian winter though? The UK is nothing like as cold as Canada (in the wintertime)
Um, yeah. Just a tad! The only exception being Vancouver and Victoria on the west coast.

For the record, though, British immigrants to Canada rarely complain about the winter cold in my experience. At least... no more than anyone else.

French immigrants here in Quebec... now that's a whole other story!

Old 08-28-2015, 02:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
They would be more similar, although still 4-5C warmer, twice as sunny and with fewer days of rain in NZ. My winter maximum is the same as Portsmouth would see in April, although average nights in winter are colder here, than winter nights in Portsmouth.

British immigrants are well known for complaining about cold here, in regards to houses ... and with good reason.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
Quote:
Nope. New Zealand has temps of 15-16c in winter.

Where I live it's usually 5-6c and can get alot colder.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM

82 posts, read 113,425 times
Having lived in Canada, and only visited Australia, I think culturally Australia is far more similar to Britain than Canada is. Though a Brit would have no problem adapting in Canada or the U.S., Australia just seems far more similar. Also, the biggest plus it the climate and lower cost of living in Australia when compared with Britain.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Um, yeah. Just a tad! The only exception being Vancouver and Victoria on the west coast.

For the record, though, British immigrants to Canada rarely complain about the winter cold in my experience. At least... no more than anyone else.

French immigrants here in Quebec... now that's a whole other story!
So in effect what the poster said about Britons going to New Zealand instead of Canada to 'escape the cold' is probably not the main reason? Because Britain is not a lot colder than New Zealand and the British ex-pats you know in Canada don't seem to mind the cold anyway?

Old 08-29-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Nope. New Zealand has temps of 15-16c in winter.

Where I live it's usually 5-6c and can get alot colder.
The average Wellington winter temperature high is 12 degrees (I've just looked it up),London is 7 degrees, in the South West UK its 9 degrees, in Scotland (Edinburgh) its 6 degrees. The average summer temperatures are slightly higher in London than Wellington (23 to 21), about the same between Wellington and the South West and slightly cooler in Scotland. I don't think all in all there is a huge difference and therefore temperature is probably not one of the reasons why Britons go to New Zealand (if Britons want hot weather they would probably want to go to Australia).

Old 08-29-2015, 02:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Generally, people in countries that are industrialized stop emigrating in large numbers (eg. Irish and Italian immigration to the New World has slowed since Ireland and Italy are now rich), so rich countries generally stop getting immigration from other rich countries but instead get immigration from poorer countries. Many New World countries, from Canada to Argentina once received very large numbers of European or British Isles immigrants but very few in modern times.

But for Australia and New Zealand, it seems immigration from the UK still seems high up into very recent times.

Why is that? It seems like in the US and Canada, most immigration is from poorer countries (Mexico, China, India) and few from developed ones any more (like Italy, Ireland, the UK, even Japan). Why does Australia and New Zealand still attract immigrants from a rich, western country?
The weather. They move to Spain as well, but Australia has good weather, plus low unemployment and speak English. And there's Home and Away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-PtOu1LvU

Old 08-29-2015, 03:14 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
Quote:
The average Wellington winter temperature high is 12 degrees (I've just looked it up),London is 7 degrees, in the South West UK its 9 degrees, in Scotland (Edinburgh) its 6 degrees. The average summer temperatures are slightly higher in London than Wellington (23 to 21), about the same between Wellington and the South West and slightly cooler in Scotland. I don't think all in all there is a huge difference and therefore temperature is probably not one of the reasons why Britons go to New Zealand (if Britons want hot weather they would probably want to go to Australia).
Yes there is. It doesn't snow in New Zealand at all, like every 5 years.

Where I live it snows uncountable times a winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World