Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The approx. 50% foreign born for Toronto generally is true of both the city proper or "inner Toronto" which has 2.5 million people, and for the suburban areas outside of it which hold as many if not more people.

There are also large suburban municipalities where 50-60% of the population is foreign-born.

These include Mississauga (700,000) and Markham (300,000) near Toronto. Brampton (500,000) is just under 50%.

And also Richmond (200,000) near Vancouver.
Ah yes...yes both are probably among the most international cities/most migrants as % of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Ah yes...yes both are probably among the most international cities/most migrants as % of population.
Miami is pretty high too: 60% foreign born or so.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Miami is pretty high too: 60% foreign born or so.
Well yes, Miami is obviously known for it's high Latino population.

Toronto is also a lot further from Asia than Australia...I wonder if your immigration policies are more open than ours.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yes, Miami is obviously known for it's high Latino population.

Toronto is also a lot further from Asia than Australia...I wonder if your immigration policies are more open than ours.
Canada accepts 250,000 immigrants a year and Australia seems to accept around 150-160,000. Relative to population this does not seem to be that much out of whack.

It could be that immigrants to Australia tend to spread out more than in Canada and that here they concentrate more in certain cities or areas.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That's interesting. So immigration from France has actually picked up. It seems rare for immigration from rich countries to other rich countries to rise in contemporary times.
Just pull up the visa numbers to the US on travel.state.gov:>)

Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM

The city of Victoria on Vancouver Island in British Columbia is apparently home to the largest British-born population in Canada, but while this may be true in percentage I suspect there is a bit of legend involved as well. It's often said to be the most British city outside of the UK as well.

The affluent Toronto suburbs of Oakville and Burlington at the western end of Lake Ontario are known for large concentrations of British people as well.

More recently, the British people who have been moving to Canada are said to be favouring the booming province of Alberta and the city of Calgary in particular.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Canada accepts 250,000 immigrants a year and Australia seems to accept around 150-160,000. Relative to population this does not seem to be that much out of whack.

It could be that immigrants to Australia tend to spread out more than in Canada and that here they concentrate more in certain cities or areas.
Yes they seem similar. I think the percentage of overseas born is actually slightly higher in Australia than Canada. All the big capital cities have a lot of immigrants, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide. I also notice however that regional centres are becoming more multicultural too. Not too long ago it was rare to see non-whites in Bunbury, a city of 60,000 140 km south of Perth but now you see Asians, Maoris.etc in quite large numbers.

I feel though that our population is too concentrated in the capital cities. The infrastructure etc is getting strained. I think it adds to the impression we're being 'swamped with immigrants.' Like go to the CBD of any of the 5 cities I mention and it's at least 50% Asians walking around. Granted many are students, here temporarily for work etc not immigrants.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The city of Victoria on Vancouver Island in British Columbia is apparently home to the largest British-born population in Canada, but while this may be true in percentage I suspect there is a bit of legend involved as well. It's often said to be the most British city outside of the UK as well.

The affluent Toronto suburbs of Oakville and Burlington at the western end of Lake Ontario are known for large concentrations of British people as well.

More recently, the British people who have been moving to Canada are said to be favouring the booming province of Alberta and the city of Calgary in particular.
I think that refers also to the look of the place too.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
One of the significant things about immigration to Aus from the UK is the number who return home within a short time after arrival. Roughly one third return to the UK within a few years.

There have been a number of studies that have looked at the phenomenon, some more academic and sympathetic than others. The most common issues identified seem to centre on unrealistic or uninformed expectations and culture shock.
Yup, and the number who are returning is increasing. Some people expect Australia to be like the UK, but sunny. It's actually pretty irresponsible of people to pick up their entire lives, possibly uprooting children, taking them thousands of miles away, only to be disappointed with what they discover, and returning within a few years, or even months.

Still, as people have mentioned, the sunny, warm climate of Australia is the biggest appeal, and most people emigrating there will probably be employed in some high-demand sector that pays more than over here - for example, energy and mining - I'm sure many people choose to base themselves in Perth (can't think of why else Perth would be preferred - doesn't seem as nice as Sydney or Melbourne, but I obviously cannot speak from experience).

Canada is very cold in the winter compared to the UK, with only Vancouver being similar. Would a Brit, who has lived his/her entire life in a cloudy country with chilly, damp winters, choose Calgary - sunnier, but considerably colder and volatile, or Perth - warm and sunny?

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-23-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yup, and the number who are returning is increasing. Some people expect Australia to be like the UK, but sunny. It's actually pretty irresponsible of people to pick up their entire lives, possibly uprooting children, taking them thousands of miles away, only to be disappointed with what they discover, and returning within a few years, or even months.

Still, as people have mentioned, the sunny, warm climate of Australia is the biggest appeal, and most people emigrating there will probably be employed in some high-demand sector that pays more than over here, so that's another incentive - for example, energy and mining - I'm sure many people choose to base themselves in Perth.

Canada is very cold in the winter compared to the UK, with only Vancouver being similar.
Considering say Toronto's climate it's amazing it's still so popular, but I guess it compensates in other areas...I wonder if people who immigrate to Canada tend to be cold lovers vs those who come here? lol

I know I could never thrive in Toronto with it's winters. NYC is harsh enough for our standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World