Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't think its UK its America.

Although they seem obsessed about us in America especially the royal family.

I don't know distances from Aussie all I know is that its right beside Asia. And Asia is really far away from here like 6,000 miles.
Sorry I meant to say Japan not the UK...

Actually Japan isn't THAT much further from the UK than Melbourne, because it's a lot further north. Whereas the UK to Japan isn't as far as it looks on a mercator's project map, since one would fly along the higher latitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
What about Brazil?? Maybe they influence countries

Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 AM

132 posts, read 150,109 times
@Postman

your list is from a very australian point of view ;-) Japan and Korea seems to be totally overrated. Almost no german would see a japanese or korean influence in Germany. Most things you stated about Japan and all you mentioned about Korea is almost unknown in Germany. Korean films? Never seen one and they will probably never show one in Germany. Korean students? Is that a joke? What's special on korean students? I am sure that korean and japanese culture have an influence in Australia but there is no such influence in Europe. Japanese departement stores? I am not sure, but I think such stores didn't exist in Europe. Perhaps there are some in London, Paris or in Berlin? But I don't know. Trade between Europe and Japan or Korea? Very small and not worth mentioned it. In Germany, Japan is considered as a very isolated country with less connections to the rest of the world.

You mentioned cricket. I know that's a kind of sport, but I have just googled to know what this sport looks like, and I just live 500 km away from the UK. Most people in the world never came in contact with cricket.

Are you aware that you only write from an australian point of view? You want to create a list from the sight of an average person on earth. But in my opinion that is completely impossible. I would never say that I would able to make such a balanced list.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
@Postman

your list is from a very australian point of view ;-) Japan and Korea seems to be totally overrated. Almost no german would see a japanese or korean influence in Germany. Most things you stated about Japan and all you mentioned about Korea is almost unknown in Germany. Korean films? Never seen one and they will probably never show one in Germany. Korean students? Is that a joke? What's special on korean students? I am sure that korean and japanese culture have an influence in Australia but there is no such influence in Europe. Japanese departement stores? I am not sure, but I think such stores didn't exist in Europe. Perhaps there are some in London, Paris or in Berlin? But I don't know. Trade between Europe and Japan or Korea? Very small and not worth mentioned it. In Germany, Japan is considered as a very isolated country with less connections to the rest of the world.

You mentioned cricket. I know that's a kind of sport, but I have just googled to know what this sport looks like, and I just live 500 km away from the UK. Most people in the world never came in contact with cricket.

Are you aware that you only write from an australian point of view? You want to create a list from the sight of an average person on earth. But in my opinion that is completely impossible. I would never say that I would able to make such a balanced list.
True, there might be a bit of bias, but is Japanese culture seriously that not well known in Europe? Anime.etc seem such a global fad, and K-pop is spreading outside of Asia. You don't have to be a fan of Korean or Japanese films in particular to know of films like the Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story, the Grudge, Spirited Away, Battle Royale, or Korean films like Oldboy. Yes, we have TONS of Koreans in the city nowadays, on both working holidays and as students. There are countless Korean grocery stores/restaurants. It seems also the case in much of the US, not to mention the many millions in Asia, with most of the world's people, who are into Korean culture.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 AM

132 posts, read 150,109 times
@Postman

Quote:
Maybe you're not aware of the massive cultural impact Japan is having in the western world among young people...
Perhaps there is such an influence in Australia, but in Europe? Some young people are interested in Mangas / Anime, but that's all. I live in Düsseldorf, we have the third biggest japanese community in Europe and a really huge German-Japanese festival each year, but a japanese influence? No, I don't think so.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
True, there might be a bit of bias, but is Japanese culture seriously that not well known in Europe? Anime.etc seem such a global fad, and K-pop is spreading outside of Asia. You don't have to be a fan of Korean or Japanese films in particular to know of films like the Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story, the Grudge, Spirited Away, Battle Royale, or Korean films like Oldboy. Yes, we have TONS of Koreans in the city nowadays, on both working holidays and as students. There are countless Korean grocery stores/restaurants. It seems also the case in much of the US, not to mention the many millions in Asia, with most of the world's people, who are into Korean culture.
Japanese food is quite popular here and I think anime/manga was quite the rage some years ago. Only the mainstream stuff, though. Dragonball, One Piece etc. Seems like it's less popular today.

K-Pop and J-Pop never really hit Europe. Still a niche. There was Gangnam Style, but fortunately that was over pretty soon...
As for the films: Some people may know Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Oldboy. But that's about it.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not at all.

Its only American. Where I live we don't even do European stuff.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Japanese food is quite popular here and I think anime/manga was quite the rage some years ago. Only the mainstream stuff, though. Dragonball, One Piece etc. Seems like it's less popular today.

K-Pop and J-Pop never really hit Europe. Still a niche. There was Gangnam Style, but fortunately that was over pretty soon...
As for the films: Some people may know Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Oldboy. But that's about it.
I know but it seems of the nations people talk about, and who produce pop culture, Japan is still way up there...I mean tell me, what recent great pop cultural exports have come out of say France or Germany in recent years? What is their answer to anime, sushi? French and German food is unfortunately rare here, believe it or not...in Melbourne CBD there is German restaurant I know of. There must be at least 100 sushi/Japanese restaurants. So it's food too. I think there should be more European food here myself.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
@Postman

Perhaps there is such an influence in Australia, but in Europe? Some young people are interested in Mangas / Anime, but that's all. I live in Düsseldorf, we have the third biggest japanese community in Europe and a really huge German-Japanese festival each year, but a japanese influence? No, I don't think so.
Yes Emos like Manga. I heard these girls talking about it last week and I was like "wtf is that?". But yes its not very common either.

We have Chinese restaurants I suppose.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

Pokemon used to be a craze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World